Small SUV ?

Page 2 / 2
ema1, May 5, 6:47am
I've known that for a good number of years that's why the Japanese makes suit me down to the ground.

ema1, May 5, 6:51am
Correction . supposed only. use by date, and most will be reliable for another 15-20 years as I can attest.

craigs_workshop, May 5, 6:51am
the funny thing is that there would be some japanese engineers that would be horrified at some of the old japanese models on our roads

but does that matter if they are still running strong ?

i shudder to think of what the new computer cars are going to be like in 15 years

gunhand, May 5, 7:09am
They will be as they are now, bloody expensive to fix, you go back 10 times for the nerd with the computer to have yet another go at finding the issue, only to be told, that will cost you $2000 but we won't guarantee that's the issue of course. In 15 years they will be some poor saps nightmare I would think.
Most computer run items now (which is every bloody thing) have a built in time to fail. Its got a name that eludes me right now. I heard that from what I would consider a reliable source which kinda surprised me they said, or admitted that. No money in things that last, like ya parents 40 year old fridge, washer or whatever that is still going strong.

craigs_workshop, May 5, 7:13am
exactly

the "old jap crap" that gets rubbished here is going stronger & more reliably than what the flash modern cars will be when they get that old

the people doing the rubbishing dont understand how good the 90's to now era has been for motoring

motoring is only going to get more expensive & shorter lived the further away from the 90's we get

mattnzw, May 5, 7:42am
I have owned several European cars from some of the big brands, and all have had problems with the electronics, engine etc, within 8 years of ownership. They are fine if you want to only keep within the warranty period. But repairs out of warranty are very very expensive. So now I stick with Japanese. But very few vehicles are now made in Japan, more are being made in Thailand, Mexico, France, the UK, even though they are Japanese brands. You don't know where they are being made these days unless you do a bit of research.

3tomany, May 6, 12:42am
yes the only reason it has succeeded for jap cars is the sheer scale of volume, parts, and mechanics that are familiar with the maintenance of jap cars. Things could change as new jap cars are using either old technology or running gear that is mostly European.

richardmayes, May 6, 12:56am
One of the guys at work has got a Peugeot 4008.

It's a nice car; I can't speak for the longevity of it (as it is still fairly new) but it has a general "feel" of quality about it, like it is probably a bit better built than some of the cheap rubbishy cars that are out there.

richardmayes, May 6, 5:10am
I had a ride (as a passenger) in a little Audi Q5 once and it was pretty underwhelming.

Didn't appear to do ANYTHING a Toyota Rav 4 couldn't do (apart from make other people assume you are made of money.)

Same black seats, same poor knee room in the back, same plastic window switches etc. Surprisingly hard ride.

Oh and it had a very impressive phone system that takes over the whole (large) LCD screen above the heater, and also the (small) LCD screen on the dashboard where the odometer and warning lights usually are, every time the phone rings.

Of course you can also get the Audi with an optional extra V8 with one million horsepower, if that is your thing.

shorebee, Feb 10, 3:08pm
mitsi asx