Small SUV ?

Page 1 / 2
pauline999, May 4, 6:39am
Is there such a thing ? I have been driving my Holden astra for the past 12 years and it's time to get a newer car. Most things I have test driven feel a bit 'tinny' and my children have suggested getting an SUV, but theirs are big beasties (lots of kids !) I like the feeling that they are solid, plus getting in and out of them is much easier on my shonky knees and hip joints. Any suggestions please ?

thejazzpianoma, May 4, 6:44am
The Skoda Yeti and VW Tiguan are supurb vehicles, and would be my first choice in a small SUV. There are pretty much none of the usual compromises with regard to value, economy, performance, practicality etc.

That said, you can get some great vehicles with high seats that are not SUV's which may suit your purpose better. If you want small, try a Fiat Panda which is fantastic value brand new at the moment and has high seats. If you want something that feels more solid but is small try a VW Polo Cross.

The Mercedes A class (second generation) is another excellent choice and is actually designed for pretty much your exact purpose.

Some thoughts for you anyhow.

meow_mix, May 4, 7:17am
What an absolute load of bolleoux. don't touch any of those suggestions except maybe the Benz. The Skoda and Tiguan are, well, they're VAG cars which are good when brand new, but are NOT to be considered when buying second hand, they will literally disintegrate before your eyes costing thousands to keep on the road.

There are many good Japanese alternatives such as a Subaru Forester, Honda CRV or Toyota RAV4.

tsjcf, May 4, 7:19am

stevo2, May 4, 7:27am
Small in this order. Mazda CX3, Skoda Yeti, Suzuki S-Cross, VW Polocross, Suzuki S-Cross, Ford Ecosport,
Next size up http://www.aa.co.nz/cars/car-reviews/top-five-motoring-picks/small-suvs/

mephismeltdown, May 4, 7:32am
toyota corrola make a 4wd.

bwg11, May 4, 7:39am
This would be one of the rare occasions when the AA gets it dead right.

brapbrap8, May 4, 7:55am
It's 2015, not the 90s. VAG make seriously good cars.
Sounds like you have had a bad experience though?

grangies, May 4, 8:02am
VAG group should have the legal right to force your post to be removed from Trademe. Due to your unsubstantiated claims.

What basis do you have to claim what you have said against one of the largest and most reliable manufacturers on Earth?

jeff1234, May 4, 8:07am
What happens at nz border that suddenly makes VW unreliable?Considered most reliable thing out there in rest of world. My neighbour has a 2008 prado that has had 2 head gaskets in 150k's, does that make all Toyotas shit?

tsjcf, May 4, 8:35am
Not hard to find links regarding VW reliability.
http://www.compare.com/auto-insurance/news/least-reliable-car-brands.aspx http://www.bbc.com/news/business-32332210 http://dougdemuro.kinja.com/german-reliability-the-greatest-myth-ever-sold-to-amer-1572026115

Care to share one that shows they are the most reliable in the world as stated above.

ralphdog1, May 4, 8:51am
Hey Pauline, what is your budget and how many k's a year do you do?

pico42, May 4, 8:54am
Remind me what a SUV is again?

brapbrap8, May 4, 8:54am
Even your links don't really prove much, the first one says VW is unreliable, but Audi is one of the most reliable.
Since they share virtually all parts that sounds a bit weird.

bwg11, May 4, 9:00am
Isn't it obvious? We keep them until they are 15 years old. (Average age of the NZ fleet.) Whereas the UK and Europe scrap them at around seven years (the average age of the UK fleet). Kiwis try to keep them running, at great expense for 20 years.

tamarillo, May 4, 3:56pm
This applies to every car out there. How long are the jdm cars meant to last do you think, yet we import them after their used by date.

tamarillo, May 4, 4:03pm
Back to subject. Lots of small SUVs though really called soft roaders now. Not off roaders and mostly using same platform as conventional cars by same maker. You lose some drive ability, performance and economy as mostly they are heavier, higher, and softer. But are handy. No better built than its cousin the hatch or saloon though.
If your looking new, good new cars are remarkably solid and substantial feeling. Have a look at ford range for instance. They have fiesta and focus and soft roader versions of same, eco sport and Kuga.

juliew3, May 5, 4:24am
Depends if you are buying new or second hand. Toyota Rav4s are good reliable small SUV but the new model is a bit boring and dated IMO . The mazda CX3 is tiny, with tinyback seats. It is essentially a higher mazda 2, as it has the same interior. CX5 is a better option for a small SUV if you want usable back seats. The mazda 3 is also worth a look, although not an SUV the CX5 is built on the same platform as the mazda 3. Very good fuel economy too with the new mazdas, compared to other brands.

craigs_workshop, May 5, 4:31am
porsche macan

craigs_workshop, May 5, 4:33am
because that normally works with the reliable jappa models

(1990 pulsar here still going strong & overtaking more powerfull cars on every journey)

mattnzw, May 5, 6:01am
Mainly because the Japanese cars which most NZ cars are, are far more reliable on average, and are designed to last longer. You only need to read the dog and lemon guide. For a car to only last 7 years is really bad for the environment, and a huge waste

sr2, May 5, 6:14am
+1, if it's in the Dog and Lemmon guide it has to be true.
Clive Matthew-Wilson is NZ's leading independent automotive media spokesman and he even has sideburns!

3tomany, May 5, 6:25am
I thought it was jap cars that were only designed to last 7 years. But oh yea we have an entire used car industry that has spent the last 25years convincing us that an end of life car from japan is still good for another 20years

haventrader, May 5, 6:40am
Yawn. If speaking crap was a grain a sand, you'd be a desert. And no, I don't mean dessert in case you're wondering.

meow_mix, May 5, 6:42am
Yumm dessert.

Sorry did I say something wrong?