Toyota MK X original key open boot?

tamarillo, Apr 14, 1:47am
Mine has aftermarket key and remote. Remote has not got boot opener button. I assume it should as I find no other way of opening boot from outside car. Anyone got a mark X with original key that can confirm for me it should have boot opener on remote?
If it should I'll try and get new one that includes the boot opening. With kids it's kinda a hassle having no exterior boot opening.

Thanks,

kimbo88, Apr 14, 4:30am
The original keys do have boot openers on them - you will have to get an original supplied by Toyota more than likely - the aftermarket suppliers generally need the original to be able to supply an aftermarket one. Toyota will be able to search by chassis number and locate the right one for you - and it probably won't be cheap I wouldn't think.

tamarillo, Apr 14, 4:39am
Thanks kimbo. At least I know it has the gear to open it by remote.

slacker8, Apr 14, 5:47am
There should be a black button on the underside of the trim just above the licence plate, if you have a proximity key you have to have with you, think it was about a Metre away, or else the button won't do anything.

kazbanz, Apr 14, 5:50am
Alarm remote? if so what brand? some brands have boot openers available

subarist, Apr 14, 6:22am
This is only if the vehicle has the 'Smart Entry & Start' system.

tamarillo, Apr 14, 6:32am
Thanks for clarifying that. There is a black button but it doesn't do a darn thing, will have a nosey behind it but this one hasn't even got cruise control so don't expect it to have other extras.

The remotes don't appear to be branded at all and I don't see evidence of an aftermarket alarm.
https://trademe.tmcdn.co.nz/photoserver/full/376117609.jpg

subarist, Apr 14, 7:06am
Do you have the key start or push button start?

tamarillo, Apr 14, 7:10am
Key start, that's the ignition key in photo.m

kimbo88, Apr 14, 9:25pm
Yes that remote is definitely an aftermarket one - what may have happened is that a previous owner got an aftermarket one done to perhaps just activate/deactivate the remote locking and this hasn't been paired to the boot opener. I think your best option at this stage would be to go and see the local Toyota dealer and see how they can help. The other option would be to get an entire new aftermarket alarm system installed, but depending on the cost of getting the car's own system up and running you may prefer to do that. Run it past them and get a quote, and go from there.

gusthe1, Apr 15, 6:59am
Lesson 1: When conducting a pre purchase inspection or even a walkaround open the boot. This allows any prospective purchaser to check that the boot at least opens and is therefore of use but also enables the purchaser to reassure themselves that the vehicle being purchased has a spare wheel and tools to fit such wheel. The purchaser can also check for waterleaks and dead bodies.

tamarillo, Apr 15, 7:07am
There was only one dead body so was happy with that. Boot opens from inside car.

skin1235, Apr 15, 7:10am
thought the also had a pull tab inside the fuel filler shield, or inside left rear door tucked down beside the seat squab
once its open fit a cable pull for future use

pandai, Mar 12, 4:55pm
The button on the boot lid may be linked to a switch inside the car. On one of ours it's in the glove box.