Porting cylinder head

morrisman1, Apr 1, 8:57am
Looking at porting a cylinder head, its a SR20VE for race use and will have big cams, individual throttles and be aimed at RPM from 5000 to 9000.

I don't wanna fall into the trap of getting work done which isn't beneficial. Can anyone offer advice on porting of heads and what to watch out for? The stock ports are a pretty good design from what Ive heard (330cfm flow approx according to the internet) but suffer from the usual mass-production pitfalls of casting marks, sharp transitions etc.

bigfatmat1, Apr 1, 9:01am
Use someone with a flow bench.

sr2, Apr 1, 9:27am
Unless you have access to a flow bench and most importantly someone with the expertise to use one, I'd just look at smoothing as suggested and then port matching manifolds, gaskets and head.

elect70, Apr 2, 5:45am
^^^ +1 buy a dremmel & selection of bits unless your after big HP gains , then need pro to do it &$$$

dave653, Apr 3, 5:19am
I have one of these. http://www.thetoolshed.co.nz/Products/Power-Tools/Grinders/Arges-Die-Grinder-6-4mm-Collet.
Makes such little work of a biggish job. I also bought David Vizards book 'How To Port etc. Have done the 3.8 V6 heads, and my Yella Terra 186 heads. 2 of them. I mainly removed casing marks, narrowed and smoothed the valve bosses, softened any other edges, reduced the short turn, and matched the manifolds to the heads. (zorst manifold needs to be bigger than the port to reduce reversion)
No real surprising gains, but both cars 'pull' a lot better.
So much cheaper than a shop doing it! (and you learn sooo much!)

bwg11, Mar 30, 6:57am
Yes, I did a BMC A Series 12G940 head to Vizzard's specs very successfully. Great mid-range power.