Common faults with high km mazda 6s gen 1 ?

nig63, Jul 28, 8:12pm
Hey got a bit carried away on a auction and ended up buying a cheap 2003 mazda 6 2.3 station wagon with about 400,000 km on it. Was wondering if any one knew of any major things that need to be replaced at this high of km or any faults that it may have developed. All feed back is much appreciated cheers

electromic, Jul 28, 8:15pm
Sometimes they get a stretched cam chain if they have not been serviced properly.

vtecintegra, Jul 28, 8:58pm
The fuel pump went on my 05 Mazda3 and the mechanic said that was fairly common to see on both the 3 and 6

You'll also get a bunch of cosmetic stuff like paint and trim wear

thejazzpianoma, Jul 28, 10:02pm
Potentially transmission, there were are few options on the Mazda 6 and I can't remember precisely which one you have. Possibly the 5 speed Jatco. It's probably not anywhere near on it's original transmission by now so who knows how much of a risk it is anyway.

As above timing chain stretch even if looked after at those km.

The thing is though, we dont know what has and hasn't been done so who knows. Just give it a good look over, hopefully it's driving nicely with no check engine lights or odd noises. If it is and it's shifting nicely you might get some life out of it yet.

All bets are off and it just comes down to the vehicle in question at that milage really.

saxman99, Jul 28, 10:56pm
Rust in the boot under the trims.

gman35, Jul 29, 5:15pm
Yep, sadly it seems Mazda's (of even very recent generations) are not exactly great in their rust prevention, with many vehicles very light in the paint coverage area and seam prep/sealing etc.

gusthe1, Jul 29, 5:29pm
400000km. Thats to the moon and then on the way back.

bantam3, Jul 29, 10:01pm
Mine had done 300000km when I sold it. Only problem I had in 150000km was sticking throttle cable.

kevymtnz, Nov 9, 5:19pm
as long as you paid no more than $500 and at 400 id say its already on a 2nd motor