Electric CAR are there trouble free as claimed

Page 3 / 6
harm_less, Jul 21, 10:16am
If Ecotricity is available in your area their midnight - 4:00am rate is 12.8c/kWh or 13.8c/kWh from 4-7:00am (both incl. GST).
$13 to 'fill' your Tesla then!

tony9, Jul 21, 3:15pm
Don't forget that EVs are currently being subsidised by others to the tune of $6.20 per 100Km (RUC) plus about another $2-3 per 100Km for misc fuel tax. That will change in the next few years.

apollo11, Jul 21, 3:35pm
Does that include your network charges?

harm_less, Jul 21, 4:13pm
6.2c/km RUC is neither here nor there compared to the savings in running costs of an EV over a fossil fueler.

It also sounds like the PTB are considering an incentive for EVs which is to be funded from fossil fueled vehicles' taxation of some description.

harm_less, Jul 21, 4:16pm
Yes.
8.77c/kWh (12:00 - 4:00) or 9.70c/kWh (4:00 - 7:00) + 2.358c/kWh network charge in both cases, all plus GST.

, Jul 21, 4:26pm
No we didn't you demonstrated that you don't understand how power pricing works or how the power network is structured. You just lied? Why would you do that?

I'm on Flick Electric, my car charges only in the evening and my average power price when charging is around 13c per KwH.

Why would you need to include lines charges (the fixed daily charge)? you need to pay these even if you don't have an electric car, so as an added cost of operation only the actual electricity the car uses counts.

apollo11, Jul 21, 4:34pm
The cheapest overnight rates on Ecotricity for the Wairarapa (where I am) are more than 21 cents, according to their website.
Between 11.00pm and 7.00 am is 21.73c per kw/h. 29.07 for all other times.

, Jul 21, 4:34pm
Even if it does, your diesel bluebird (and my Terrano) will still be paying them as well as they much higher price of fuel. I also suspect its pretty unlikely that EV's will be paying RUC at the same price as diesels, the government has made it pretty clear that they see climate change as the biggest issue of our time (and rightly so) and I doubt they'll do anything but increase the cost of running a high emission vehicle.

, Jul 21, 4:36pm
At this second sitting at 13.9 cents per KwH here on flick.

apollo11, Jul 21, 4:41pm
Are you including your network charges and gst? I was with Flick until recently and it seldom went below .30c per kw/h in winter.

, Jul 21, 4:50pm
No that's +GST, the price very rarely goes above 30c per kw/h and never when I'm actually using any significant power (maybe the oven occasionally).

That's all costs except the daily fixed charge about 40c a day if you add up all the components.

apollo11, Jul 21, 4:53pm
Christ on a pogo stick, my last weekly bill with them was $67 for around 120kw/h, and then I thought 'stuff this' and shifted.

harm_less, Jul 21, 4:55pm
I have no idea if other areas have different rates to us. The rates I quoted are straight off of our last Ecotricity account.

, Jul 21, 5:01pm
You know you'll be paying more overall, all companies are paying the spot rate anyway they just make a lot more out of you during the times when power is cheap. Sure you won't see the fluctuations but your power bill will still probably be more. We save 30% on our power bill versus our previous provider Meridian (28c KwH), $1800 saved since we changed. We are an exception though as we have two EV's doing 100km each per day.

apollo11, Jul 21, 5:02pm
What plan are you on? I just checked the overnight rate for New Plymouth (low user) and its 19.55c per kw/h.

apollo11, Jul 21, 5:04pm
We were hammered with a few 'unusual events' with Flick, and frankly it wasn't worth the stress of wondering how high the next power bill might be.

, Jul 21, 5:06pm
But surely if the long term bill is lower that's all that actually matters? We've had a couple of months where we've been higher than what we would have been on Meridian, but its the total amount we pay that matters to me.

apollo11, Jul 21, 5:14pm
The power switch website said we should save around $65 a year by going to Powershop, plus they gave us a $150 credit. We will see how it goes. Can always change back if things settle down at Flick.

harm_less, Jul 21, 5:17pm
Can't remember what the plan we signed up on was but it was the one recommended for EVs, and possibly also PV export which we intend doing again in the next year or two. Probably ecoSaver by the looks of their current plans.

harm_less, Jul 21, 5:31pm
The Powerswitch website is still in the last century. No facility to factor in PV generation export rates or if you are charging EVs. The plan options they have for Ecotricity don't even match the ones Ecotricity offers on its website.

apollo11, Jul 21, 5:43pm
We were thinking about Solar City at one stage, we have a good roof for solar panels, but not keen on a 20 year contract, too many unknowns. I have given Ecotricity a bit of thought too. we could look at putting our own panels up at some stage and go through them.

harm_less, Jul 21, 5:52pm
If you have the grounds to suit how about ground mounted PV panels? Often cheaper to install, far easier to clean and maintain and without the roof orientation limitations and potential roof damage.

We had 6kW of ground mounted PV at our last property but are holding off installing here until battery technology catches up with our plans.

apollo11, Jul 21, 6:01pm
Possibly, we are on a lifestyle block so space isn't an issue. I'd only be worried about them being stolen if they were at ground level.

harm_less, Jul 21, 6:18pm
Photo of a 'self-built' ground mounted PV plus background info: https://www.harmlesssolutions.co.nz/index.php?route=module/blog/view&blog_id=7

apollo11, Jul 21, 6:23pm
Nice one. I've been watching an Aussie bloke on Youtube who has built a 20kw home storage battery from used laptop batteries. Quite interesting, and it's all stuffed into a cheap metal garden shed.