Electric CAR are there trouble free as claimed

Page 4 / 6
harm_less, Jul 21, 6:26pm
Do you have a link on that Youtube project? We'll probably swap out the battery in our Leaf in 2-3 years time and repurposing the old one for home storage does appeal.

tony9, Jul 21, 6:57pm
But if the world turns (as you believe) then there will be much reduced RUCs and fuel tax, who will pay for infrastructure construction and maintenance? That is where all RUC income goes, as well as much of the fuel.

Both sides of Govt have clearly signalled an end to the EV exemption (and even Norway has), it may be phased out over time, but it must go.

At some point consumers will wake up to what zero carbon really means, in terms of cost and harsh reality and get tired of supporting the 10% greenies.

apollo11, Jul 21, 6:58pm
It's this guy: https://www.youtube.com/user/nocrf50here
Heaps of info on his site, he goes into the electronics side in depth as well.

tony9, Jul 21, 7:01pm
Interesting. I have a 19.2 Kw home storage battery and that takes up half of one wall of the garage.

All lead acid, for a total cost of $1,000 and about $150 a year in maintenance.

apollo11, Jul 21, 7:02pm
What I think government will do, being the sneaky bastards they are, is eventually add road user charges to ev's and also keep adding taxes/user charges to fossil fuels to try to shift people to ev's.

apollo11, Jul 21, 7:03pm
Shit that's cheap, where did you get your cells from?

tony9, Jul 21, 7:10pm
Wreckers.

Very selectively buy up used car batteries with a purchase date of less than about a year. Get to know the wreckers and get 700+CCA for around $45 each. They usually prove OK for over 2 years and I get over half back as scrap.

apollo11, Jul 21, 7:17pm
I don't know if the wreckers in Masterton would be of much use, but it's a very interesting idea.

tony9, Jul 21, 7:25pm
Not enough volume there. Christchurch is big enough, not sure if even Wellington would have enough volume.

It all started over 5 years ago when I came up with the idea of building my own heavy duty accumulators from scratch. Bought a bunch of scrap batteries to extract the lead and acid and found that 30% were still in the warranty period. So the DIY battery went on hold.

apollo11, Jul 21, 7:39pm
Are you completely off-grid tony? Do you only take your cells down to 50% DOD?

tony9, Jul 21, 8:23pm
No, not off grid, but I can be for quite a long time.

Two problems, this is all a project to see how much efficiency I can get from burning diesel/waste oil. I am about 60% so far, but still have a couple of further ways to extract waste heat. The system needs care and feeding to keep it going.

Other problem is that we both have health issues (I can only work 3 hours a day and spend about 4 days a year in hospital) so we need the reliability of grid.

intrade, Jul 21, 8:37pm
jehungarcia wants to build open source diy powerwall.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SaRQub9Sg7c

, Jul 21, 9:31pm
No I don't believe there will be much reduced road tax for EVs in the long term, just that the tax on non EVs will be much more. Ultimately when they make up the majority of the fleet EVs will pay road tax at the level required to maintain the infrastructure. However until they make up the bulk of the fleet the government will encourage there uptake with lower road tax. They'll discourage high emissions vehicles by making them pay more tax. It's a pretty obvious and sound strategy. It has nothing to do with "being green", it has everything to do with tackling a major problem that will cause significant economic and social upheaval to billions of people.

Obviously for those of us who do drive EVs early, we'll benefit financially by paying less tax.

The current government are talking about more subsidization of EVs, not less.

intrade, Jul 25, 6:54pm
Express: Electric car SHOCK - The surprising hidden cost of ownership.
https://www.express.co.uk/life-style/cars/993594/Electric-car-insurance-more-expensive-petrol-diesel

, Jul 25, 8:03pm
Not so much here, my Leaf costs the same amount to insure as my other vehicles.

soundsgood, Jul 28, 2:54pm
If there will be fewer mechanics, perhaps they can be retrained as 'hookers'.

https://trademe.tmcdn.co.nz/photoserver/full/841579999.jpg

This man in an F1 garage is there to hook and pull any engineer who may get in to trouble with the car's electrical system.

drsr, Jul 30, 7:42am
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NuAMczraBIM : entertaining profile of Rich from the "Rich Rebuilds" youtube channel, and his efforts to rebuild scrapped Teslas using mainly a kitchen knife. Tesla's attititude to third-party repairers has been horrendous to say the least. Do we have any "right to repair" legislation in NZ?

serf407, Jul 30, 9:52am
Right to repair in nz - appears to be not really.
More caveat emptor when you live at the end of the world.
https://www.consumerprotection.govt.nz/help-product-service/retail-products/returns-refunds-repairs/

rayonline_tm, Jul 30, 4:54pm
I wonder how are they second hand? How long does the battery last for and how much are battery replacements? They tend to say around $10k, that's a lot of petrol and not everyone can purchase a new or a recent new EV car.

If the battery is going to cost so much, would people really do that or would they ditch it for another. The NZTA said the avg car in NZ is around 14yrs old.

A portion of the population might also not have garages. Those who live in student accommodations, tourists, business travelers with rental cars, those who live in apartments and inner city suburbs where there may not be a garage or carport.

, Jul 30, 5:46pm
You can get your battery replaced for $4500 here in Chch, batteries last a long time, mine is now 7 years old and still at 77% of its new capacity. I've had the car over two years now and do around 100km per day in it. It cost me $12k to buy. I can set fire to it now as its paid for itself just on operating cost savings.

rayonline_tm, Jul 30, 5:51pm
Thanks for that. 100km per day is quite a lot right .

The avg motorist might only spend $3-5k in petrol PA. Ie $40 or $80 per week.

Many may not have a garage or carport. If everyone adopts EV car and on busy holiday season would there be enough chargers out there.

buyit59, Jul 30, 5:56pm
That $4,500 is for a second hand battery isnt it ?. Friends Leaf struggles to do Rolleston -CHC return now if they use the heater . ! So my prediction is that as batteries get better your theory is best because an old Leaf wont be any good even for compost !. so are we really saving the planet ? Would we be better off encouraging people to use mass public transport and/or living closer to their work/living environment .

harm_less, Jul 30, 6:29pm
That price would apply to a new aftermarket battery and I'm expecting that price to keep dropping. In about 3 years with about 80,000km on the vehicle we plan to change out our Leaf's battery and expect it to cost us less than $3K by then which is close to what we save on petrol per year, and we'll probably use the old one as PV storage.

rayonline_tm, Jul 30, 8:06pm
I just ran some quick maths.

(a) EV car cost $500/yr less due to lesser maintenance.
(b) EV saves $3,000/yr if they can charge at home for the "avg" owner.

Over a 10yr period:
This is a saving of $35,000.
But a battery replacement is required assume $3k for a battery?
This balances to $32,000 or $3,200/yr.

If a person already has a working petrol car and goes out and buys a new car that is $12,000. The savings becomes $20,000 over 10yrs or $2,000/yr. But a battery replacement might be sooner because the used car's battery won't last as long.

intrade, Jul 30, 8:42pm
battery for a ev is 9000 bux so thats about 14k nz if they ship it here
The prices you people quote is a tini hibrid battery for a prius not a full ev like a full electric car.