One oil vs. another.?

Page 1 / 4
comsolve, Aug 5, 5:17pm
My car has a Nissan HR15DE engine. The manufacturer's specification is 5W30 synthetic.

There is a huge range to choose from. Some I can eliminate because they are especially for Diesel or variants for specific brands, but beyond that. ?

comsolve, Aug 5, 5:18pm
If I buy the premium Ryco filter, is it really safe to stretch the oil change to 15,000km as they claim?

kevymtnz, Aug 5, 5:46pm
5W30 for winter but when you do your spring change go up to min 10w
and at 10k or well before the oil has 50% of its colour left
personalty id never use anything less than 15w50
but everyone will do what they want

sw20, Aug 5, 6:22pm
Use what the manufacturer recommends and change at the recommended intervals by the manufacturer.

trogedon, Aug 5, 6:30pm
The quality isn't as important as regular changes. I wouldn't go past 10k kms.

intrade, Aug 5, 6:37pm
10k or 1 year is the maximum if you dont want damage.
For diesel depends what emission system you have
i use total quertz on my dpf passat because it meets the standard and burns the cleanest meaning it wont fill the dpf with leftowers from engine oils.
if it dont has a dpf you can use a oil who meets the spec but burns with resedue as if you do not have a dpf then it wont be filled with extra sooth resulting in premature full dpf with ash as ash wont clear from the dpf only a new unit will then do at a high cost.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I-2bMQXhRf0&ytbChannel=null

comsolve, Aug 5, 6:38pm
Petrol engine thanks

ladatrouble, Aug 5, 6:41pm
Castrol Edge 5W-30 A3/B4 and it will go 15,000km no worries.

tony9, Aug 5, 6:49pm
Then you will get problems with newer engines. They have smaller oil ways and rely on low viscosity oil.

Most of the 15W50 will bypass out the relief valve and less will flow through the bearings. And you will have problems with hydraulic tappets.

comsolve, Aug 5, 6:52pm
Castrol was off my list due to costing around $92.

But their 5w40 version is 40% off at Repco. Clearly big margins.

intrade, Aug 5, 7:06pm
oil prices went up 10% i got a note that they have to raise prises up to 10% from august 1 .
if you do 15000km then you better be doing that within 3 month. or you will have damage . damage is not instant.
There is case studys of vw who have used wrong oil the only symptom was low oil pressure at high rpm. after 42000km ran mint still. turned out it needed a new engine as all the metal shaving where causing it to starf of oil when it sucked it on the pickup in the sump.
It takes a long time till damage shows up. and there is no easy fix once it shows symptoms of wrong oil damage.

intrade, Aug 5, 7:08pm
Good oil wont be cheap . the oil costs a lot right from the virgin manufacturer. Cheap oil is going to be poor quailty
The chinese will print on the lable of poor oil that it is the best oil but thats only the lable not the oil.

comsolve, Aug 5, 7:11pm
Got ya Intrade.

I'm looking at Valvoline right now. They produce 4 different versions of 5w30 synthetic.
http://drbritton.co.nz/valvoline/passenger-car-motor-oils/synpower.html

I want to get a brand name oil on special. They are around $60 for 5L.

intrade, Aug 5, 7:14pm
minimum spec for petrol car oil is now SN

comsolve, Aug 5, 7:17pm
Is that better than "SL/CF"?

john1623, Aug 5, 7:19pm
15000km oil changes might be alright if it is run up really quick,but the average person would take the best part of 2 years.

intrade, Aug 5, 7:21pm
YES the SM or SN is the best standard oil code for petrol There was a list of how it progressed and what oils are regarded to damage modern engines. They also nuked old ones its why 100,000km was a world record once a fiat 1100 was holding that and wes going to a museum many years ago.

intrade, Aug 5, 7:22pm
yes 15k if its done in 3 month

intrade, Aug 5, 7:23pm

comsolve, Aug 5, 7:24pm
Ok. It appears Valvoline 5w30 MST meets the grade suggested by yourself and ladatrouble -

Valvoline MST SynPower Full Synthetic 5W-30 will keep your late European passenger diesel or petrol powered car in top-condition and ensure optimum running efficiency. It will cleanse your engine internals so they enjoy a clean and extended life-span, free from oil deposits and sludge build-up. If a Diesel Particulate Filter is attached it will also benefit from increased life. This 5 litre fluid has a low pour point which greatly enhances cold starting ability and improves wear and tear resistance under extreme temperatures. You'll also profit from advanced fuel efficiency and reduced emissions output for cleaner driving. As it fulfils BMW and MB requirements you can take a break from frequent oil changes as this product will extend oil drainage intervals. It meets API SN/CF, ACEA A3/B4, C3 and GM Dexos2® specifications.

What vehicles is this product suitable for?

This lubricant is made for European IV diesel and petrol consuming passenger cars. It is safe for vehicles fitted with or without DPF and TWC. Can be used in certain light-duty CDI vehicles with DPF and EGR fittings. Check with the manufacturer or in the manufacturer's handbook to find out if your light-duty CDI engine is compatible.

5 Litre
5W-30
API SN/CF, ACEA A3/B4, C3, GM DEXOS 2
Low SAPS full synthetic engine oil for vehicles with or without DPF
Suitable for a variety of passenger vehicles, both petrol & diesel with or without DPF

-----
Mine is a Japanese car but none of the Valvoline 5w30 Syn products make specific mention of Japanese makes.

ambo11, Aug 5, 7:28pm
I would have thought any off the shelf 5w30 branded oil would be fine? Its not a high performance turbo or anything?
Personally 10,000kms max is as far as I would go, and I prefer to use genuine filters (just my choice). Of course hot long runs etc is much better for an engine and its oil. What sort of car is it Comsolve?

intrade, Aug 5, 7:28pm
you dont want low saps oil either for a petrol car SL if used change 5000 to 7500km if you use that

comsolve, Aug 5, 7:30pm
Bluebird Slyphy 1.5L natural. Done 35ks.

comsolve, Aug 5, 7:32pm
Ok. back to the drawing board. Wow this is confusing. It's not helped by not having an owners manual.

comsolve, Aug 5, 7:34pm
This Nulon is 5w30 synthetic and SN and it's only $49. Am I over thinking this?
http://www.supercheapauto.co.nz/Product/Nulon-Full-Synthetic-Long-Life-Engine-Oil-5W-30-4-Litre/381160?menuFrom=1021515