Could you use an EV battery

the-lada-dude, Aug 19, 4:12pm
For an off grid storage electrical supply ? . must be a few EV's up for accident damaged auction

fungles, Aug 19, 4:29pm
Tesla battery packs are being used as grid storage in WA as we speak.

apollo11, Aug 19, 4:47pm
Wouldn't mind getting a pranged Tesla, the modules are for sale on ebay, but someone is making a good profit out of those. 20kw is approx 4 modules at $1500 US each plus delivery.

tony9, Aug 19, 5:21pm
Lithium based storage cells require close monitoring for charge state and temperature. This would be built into an EV full system. Some work might be needed to to replicate the same control as a stand alone unit.

And while Tesla supply grid storage systems, they will be different to an EV storage system, at least the control side.

apollo11, Aug 19, 6:20pm
That youtube bloke who made a 20kw storage system out of old laptop batteries goes into detail about the electronics required. You don't necessarily need to use the Tesla watercooling setup, and each module has it's own BMS.

intrade, Aug 19, 6:27pm
you can use 18650 cells and use jehus open sorce build.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4cQWH-BtYI0
battery cant ship out of a country due to emens fines and cost .
but we can buy plenty cheap cells on trademe

For tesla build you would want to watch jack picard
He has lenghty videos but he goes in to every detail. and thats important to learn all the ins and outs and potential problems and workarounds.

3tomany, Aug 19, 6:28pm
I can not remember where i read it but apparently even prius batteries that are buggered can hold enough power to fill high demand times for 10-15 years after being removed from the car. . It may well have been fake news but i did read it somewhere a while ago.

intrade, Aug 19, 6:34pm
there will be usable cells unless they have been under water like richrebuilds teslas.
The danger is high voltage at some point Dc voltage is more dangerous then mains. as mains voltage AC shakes you 50 times a secound and in america 60 times
But DC clamps you down you wont be able to let go till your toast.

tony9, Aug 19, 6:43pm
Used car batteries from a wrecker that are only 1-2 years old are by far the best value for storage is mass and area is not a concern. And you can sell them on to a scrap dealer for half what you paid when they are stuffed.

intrade, Aug 19, 6:46pm
battery cant be shipped out of usa , jehu explains exactly whe he cant sell anything outside the country.
The law needs you to fill out a hell of a lot of documents and be certified .
Then you need to give a phone number the customs or any officia can ring and the phone must be answerd in 30 secounds and any information and question they have must be answerd about the shipment instantly.
if this dont happens there is many tousends of dollers of instant fine for not answering the phone. and they dont care why it was not answerd.
There is a ultra expensive service you can pay to answer your phone for you. ,
So yea you can be sure you pay them tousends also to provide that service= no one can afford to pay that to ship any batterys in some small order.

harm_less, Aug 19, 6:49pm
The drawdown required to supply a home's domestic requirements is far less demanding that that to propel a car. We use 750-800 kWh/month including the 250-300 kWh charging our Leaf, so the house alone uses less than 20 kWh/day. The Leaf would consume 20kWh in less than 2 hours so a much lower level of demand.

When we renew the battery in our Leaf in a couple of years we intend to use the old battery for home storage.

intrade, Aug 19, 6:50pm
No lithium ion battery are far superior . you kill lead acid in 3 month on full discharge cycles down to 35% capacity as where lithium dont twitches a bit on its controlled discharge . The problem is random cell failing tesla monitors every cell and jehus diy does that also i think on his 18650 powerwall open source project.

intrade, Aug 19, 6:53pm
the problem in leafs is when a cell fails it pulls the whole pack down as where tesla if one shorts its melting the link and only a section of a pack goes offline.

apollo11, Aug 19, 7:07pm
Yeah, a good score on your part. I wonder what large IT companies do with all their UPS batteries when they get them replaced?

tony9, Aug 19, 7:08pm
I only go to 25%, usually the batteries last 2 to 5 years, in pure cost, it cannot be beaten. Looking at 15 to 20 AHr at 12 volts for $40, and I get $20 back when they are stuffed.

apollo11, Aug 19, 7:12pm
Really? One reseller is selling 4 modules of 5.3kw for $5200 US, plus $800 US for international delivery.

fungles, Aug 19, 7:53pm
LiPos appear to be the way to go with off grid storage. When my FLAs are stuffed in another few years, LiPo I think will be more established than they are now, and cheaper too. These are more stable and forgiving than Lion. and conform closely to usual lead acid charging methods.

intrade, Aug 19, 8:13pm
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6CH7ShiFJAE
Shipping as normal person from usa
75 tousend fine if you dont answer the phone.
7 k a year sub to contract a company plus then some to ship , if you searc the book with rules is like 3 inches thick

apollo11, Aug 19, 8:52pm
Looks like you might be able to sea freight them, but you are right, a real nightmare shipping li-ions to NZ.
https://evtalk.co.nz/ev-battery-import-breakthrough/

mojo49, Aug 19, 9:06pm
If you could buy a pranged EV at a good price at a damaged car auction you could use the battery for off grid storage and the crumpled wreck for a chook house. No waste and 100% recycyling. You could drag it round the section on its wheels so the chooks always had fresh places to shit.

serf407, Aug 19, 9:17pm
Better to get a flow battery off the aussies, the 'electrolyte' is a fire extinguisher. (Probably corrosive? so could go sea freight aus to nz)

Zinc Bromine battery
http://www.abc.net.au/news/2016-03-30/recyclable-solar-storage-battaries-to-take-on-giants-tesla/7284518 Redflow ZCell Batteries https://youtu.be/4OHstY_kKUY

3tomany, Aug 19, 9:28pm
This is a good old fashioned thread full of information on motoring.
A bit like the old days before we all started bickering.
Keep up the info guys very educating and fun to read.

marte, Oct 22, 7:54am
I'm thinking that as people buy electric cars, people will start to put up solar panels on their roofs, it's a investment.
They can recharge old car battery packs from solar, and then plug the car in overnight to rechargethe car from the old battery packs.
Add in used stored power for lighting in the house, it's low wattage LED now and that's a huge amount of power that's being generated 'off grid'.

Like I'm guessing that all new houses will have solar panel roofs & that power will be utilised 100%, for the car, for the home, for the neighbours car, or back into the grid.