VW MK6 Golf Mechatronic oil leak? Fixable?

Page 2 / 3
tonyt_nz, Aug 19, 8:10pm
Thanks for all the assistance here, before i seek repairs, i want to check whether my Golf had the Recalled DSG oil and mechatronic change, if not, then there maybe a chance i can argue the failure was caused due to the recall not being carried out. This is what the 2013 news article said: Customers are being invited to schedule appointments with authorised Volkswagen dealers to have their vehicle inspected, the mechatronics unit replaced, and the latest DSG software installed. and hotline  09 355-7776 has been set-up for business hours and in the meantime Volkswagen say owners can continue to drive their vehicles as usual before the inspection and upgrades.

thejazzpianoma, Aug 19, 8:14pm
You are also only just outside VW's 5 year NZ warranty on the transmission (if it's NZ new at least) so you could likely argue for an extension or assistance based on that.
If you don't mind. What was the reg on your car, I am keen to look up the manufacture date. The only 7 speeders I have had trouble with so far are the ones I say to avoid (pre 2011), sadly some people no listen!

thejazzpianoma, Aug 19, 8:15pm
tonyt, I am super busy and not on here that much at the moment. However I am more than happy to help you through this as much as I can if you need further advice. So if I am not about, someone might be able to point you in the direction of how to find me. Just a shame I am not allowed to give out my hotmail address in situations like this.

tonyt_nz, Aug 19, 8:16pm
Mine is the 7 speed DSG (alas)

boss_hogg, Aug 19, 8:17pm
I've spent a bit of money on autos over the years. They're all expensive to repair now days. The days of picking 1 up for a crate are long gone

tsjcf, Aug 19, 8:31pm
http://www.speedotronics.co.nz/speedometer-calibration-repai
r/
"The Direct Shift Gearbox is fitted to a wide range of VW, Audi and Skoda vehicles. These gearbox’s often fault at around 80 -100,000 km"

Even a Nissian CVT lasts longer then that.

thejazzpianoma, Aug 19, 8:33pm
No panic, worse things have happened and you have plenty of options!

tonyt_nz, Aug 21, 7:12pm
So ordered a refurb Mechatronics with reprogramming and dry from eBay $670 bucks, Hydraulic fluid is only about $30 for a litre (all you need) Will also do the DSG oil, which confuses me. everyone say $3-4-5-600 bucks, but it only needs about 5 litres plus a filter. you can buy for about $1-200 bucks. So is this the dealership mark up? Got a guy from Midas who knows his VW's (Work at the SA plant) to do the install. About 4 hours labour.

tonyt_nz, Aug 21, 7:14pm
Oh yeah, a friend said he saw another late model Golf laid up on the side of ther road, on the Ngauranga Gorge. must be VW season, or they have a secret self destruct button.

luke041, Aug 21, 7:59pm
You need 2lts of oil of dsg fluid and the 7sp don't have a filter on the outside you can change (internal only), the 6sp have a filter on the outside. You will also need the special tool to hold the clutch levers back when changing the unit over.

kazbanz, Aug 22, 10:08am
Where is the box coming from?

thejazzpianoma, Aug 22, 11:17am
That's the way to do it!
Check with luke but if the special tool required is the bent lever thing I think it is, it's only about $25 on ebay from what I remember.
Also, might want to check to see if you need a fluid filler adaptor to fill it like you do the 6 speed.
Great work! Please let us know how you get on.
Cheers.

tonyt_nz, Aug 22, 6:59pm
Yeah will let you know the final tally, probably a good week or more away from being repaired. So to be absolutely sure, my 2011 NZ New VW golf 7 speed DSG only requires 2 litres of DSG transmission fluid?

luke041, Aug 22, 7:21pm
Yes that's correct 2lts, flick the breather off the top of the transmission and fill it through there. There is no level bung on the transmission and you need around 800ml for the mechatronic unit and you also use the breather on that to. You need to to be carefull fitting it that you have all the shift levers etc lined up should be able to fine some measurements online for that. And then have to do to the coding and clutch relearn or it won't drive, have a look on the ross-tech site for the relearn info.

thejazzpianoma, Aug 22, 7:57pm
You are a mine of great info luke!
Is the gear selector tool the one that looks like a wiggly rod with a T handle on the end? Or is that for something else?

tonyt_nz, Aug 22, 8:00pm
Thats great thanks, Im getting the mechatronics programmed to my VIN number, so hopefully half way there.

luke041, Aug 23, 7:18am
Thats for holding the clutch levers back when you change the unit over.There isn't a tool for lining the shift levers up just have to measure (and keep your finger crossed or you have to do it all over again)

kazbanz, Aug 23, 9:49am
In your experience is there a fix you can put in place before this common $3000 failure happens? By your description Box in and out is fairly easy so just wondering if theres an upgrade kit or repair kit and how much it would cost if it is available. Prevention rather than cure.

luke041, Aug 23, 1:12pm
No unfortunately not, I personal would not own a 7sp one (early or late one) they have two many issues like wearing clutches out at 30000km and are just doing bearings on one at the moment with 50000km and I don't think they drive as nice the 6sp. The 6sp I would, go great and not so many issues - cant't beat the way these go in a little turbo GTI golf.

kazbanz, Aug 23, 1:33pm
And this transmission is fitted pretty much across the VAG range of product isn't it?

thejazzpianoma, Aug 23, 4:31pm
Fitted from about 2008 but not on all engines. Low output engines tend to have the 7 speed and high output 6 spd. If in doubt ask. It's not as simple as saying "all 1.4's are 7 speed" either as high output twin charger ones tend to be 6 speed. To confuse matters even more there is also a 7 speed wet clutch unit which is found in the likes of the Tiguan from the 2011 facelift on.

kazbanz, Aug 23, 7:21pm
So would you advise avoiding and VAG manufactured product fitted with the 7 speed box or is it a 1 in 100 chance it will die type thing?

tonyt_nz, Sep 7, 4:57pm
Little update, the install went fine, but the issue they are having is the new Mechatronics ECU wont communicate with the car-or the car wont see the new mechatronic ecu unit. So ive asked them to try using the original ECU unit with the new mechatronics. Apparently its to do with the recall and the software update done-or not in 2013

luke041, Sep 7, 7:38pm
sounds like it came with a blank ecu it should of been coded to the vehicles vin when you ordered it that's the problem getting cheap ones from overseas, I've given up with them after having to in a row that did not work and just buy local now. I personally wouldn't try and change the ecu over as you could f--k both of them. Give VAG automotive in Auckland a ring tomorrow and you can send the unit to them and have them code it.

tonyt_nz, Sep 7, 8:53pm
Yeah you might be right there. I did give my vin to be coded. See how we go i guess.