Road user charges for electric cars

Page 2 / 2
bill-robinson, Sep 17, 7:03am
not suprising that the transport industry want 50 ton trucks. they had foresight 40 tons of truck to move 10 ton of freight 200 kms and then a 10 hour turn around charge.

esky-tastic, Sep 17, 7:32am
My though too
How would a run from Dunedin to Picton go?

tamarillo, Sep 17, 8:07am
It is only 2% which is expected around 2021. Not far at all.

gammelvind, Sep 17, 8:28am
The majority of drivers seldom do more than 100km at a time. You are also basing your doubts on today's battery technology that will change rapidly especially as more people purchase these new cars.

, Sep 17, 9:21am
RUCS will happen, when I suspect will depend on which government we get next week. But they won't happen until 2021 at the earliest, so the time to really save money on your motoring is now. No RUC costs means you can get your travel costs down to something like $1.60 per 100km, free fast charging in lots of places means if your not in a big hurry your long distance trips are often free. Purchase price is not much different than an equivalent petrol car.

bill-robinson, Sep 17, 9:52am
but in 2021 you will get charged for all your "free" use. boy will you get charged. it is catch up time

, Sep 17, 10:02am
Except it won't be, sure it will become more expensive to run an EV at some point in the future (I think it will be later than 2021), but it will still be much cheaper than having a petrol car. Even if my motoring costs quadrupled it would still be much cheaper than an equivalent gas car. By then I'll probably have a decadent solar setup and local battery storage so my gas price should be close to zero.

woki, Sep 17, 10:03am
Rucs will make electric cars unaffordable to run .

Currently at 7 cents per km is excessive for light weight small cars .

, Sep 17, 10:09am
Pretty sure it's only 6 cents for my truck, and it will almost definitely be alot less than that for an EV. The government is looking to replace our petrol and diesel fleet with electric so there's no way they'll make it more expensive than running a gas car.

Of course by 2021 my car has paid for itself twice over in operating cost savings alone.

apollo11, Sep 17, 10:55am
Have you got a link to back up your statement bill or are you just shit stirring?

tamarillo, Sep 17, 10:59am
They are due to kick back in when the fleet hits 2%. That might be before 2021 so you can't say they won't happen untill 2021. Best thing electric users can do is stop telling everyone how good they are and to disencourage people to keep numbers down.

tamarillo, Sep 17, 11:03am
62 per 1000km.
Anyone know how much an average petrol contributes towards the fund? I guess the 62 is supposed to be about the same so it's all equal.

, Sep 17, 11:17am
Except there are far more important reasons why NZ needs to change to the electrification of transport. Even with an additional personal cost in RUCs, I suspect the proliferation of chargers, the huge amount of additional money into the NZ economy from producing all our fuel domestically and the money currently spent by consumers on fuel going into other parts of the economy will see me personally better off.

Also it's an easy way to reduce our CO2 emissions, and climate change is the defining problem of our generation.

bill-robinson, Sep 17, 1:47pm
more money in the economy, as tax, yep. i can drive from northland to invercargill in my existing car. probably 3 fuel stops. your 100km range electric car (you do not own a tesla so forget them) will require a lot more stops than that, this will increase the journey time considerably. you may need to get here in reasonable time but then you could get on a plane non electric naturally. you also mentioned on board generators that kind of defeat you praise a bit. then all these EV's have to get here on electric ships. something is wrong there, maybe sailing ships. I think you need a horse oh no, pollution from the rear defeats that as well

, Sep 17, 2:42pm
I'm not sure what your smoking but is it something we can all share?

Driving from Northland to Invercargill is not something I would do in my Leaf, I would almost certainly take my Terrano.

If I think about the last 20 years, I've done this once in that time so 2200km roughly. Other driving (to work and back) I've done something like 600,000km over the same period. So it seems worthwhile to have a car optimised for the 600,000km and I can still have another car for the long range single trips. I'm still financially better off. So is the planet :)

Affordable cars with Tesla range are pretty much here already and will only get cheaper over the next few years. See Chev Bolt, Tesla Model 3 and Nissan will release a 60KwH Leaf next year with around 400km real world range.

Now your getting it Bill! maybe your not the Luddite you pretend to be, electrification will ultimately come to all forms of transport (except probably rocketry) and ships are here very soon:
https://electrek.co/2017/05/11/all-electric-autonomous-cargo-ship/ https://qz.com/980207/a-self-driving-electric-ship-will-replace-thousands-of-truck-trips-at-yara-a-norwegian-fertilizer-firm/ https://qz.com/1039133/the-electric-revolution-is-coming-to-freighters-and-cruise-ships/

apollo11, Sep 17, 11:06pm
Don't worry about bill, he likes to ramble.

bill-robinson, Sep 18, 6:21am
trying to keep up with your snail trails

bill-robinson, Sep 18, 6:54am
pleased to see that you have a real car for proper jobs. I built my other car to suit myself, some one else was doing an elecric version but I have not seen it. cant think why

tony9, Sep 18, 11:11am
Typical electrical energy losses, NZ scenario, for EV charging.
Source Loss Net

Generation 5.00% 95.00%
Grid 7.00% 88.35%
Supply Auth 10.00% 79.52%
Charging 20.00% 63.61%
Motor 15.00% 54.07%

Total Loss 0.46%

EV end losses would likely be a bit higher, control circuit and vehicle environment losses are not included.

NZ simply cannot generate enough electricity from renewables only, so either Nuclear or Hydrocarbon based generation is going to be required to switch over to 100% EV for domestic transport at least.

IF EV really is practical and economic, why have agricultural, construction and air transport not started to switch? Reason - there is no cheaper energy source than hydrocarbon based that is very cost effective to transport.

tony9, Sep 18, 11:14am
There are no fossil fuel subsidies in NZ, quite the reverse with the ETS.

harm_less, Sep 18, 6:51pm
Your calculations are a bit shonkey but even so they make a great case for charging an EV from your own PV as this negates the first four loss factors you list.

NZ farmers are typically pretty conservative when it comes to change, unless it comes with a government subsidy. As commercial sized EV technology improves agricultural machinery will be sure to capitalise on the improved running expenses and torque characteristics of electric powered vehicles. NZ farmers will eventually follow suit with the national light vehicle fleet uptake of EVs. They also have the land area or roof sizes for substantial PV installation.

richardmayes, Sep 19, 2:41pm
Whoa. How to win friends and influence people.

The main thing I take away from this thread is, Electric owners are going to become the new rotary owners. Page upon page of insufferable own-back-patting. At least the Wankell engine provided an amusing bit of word association for us simple folk.

sw20, Sep 19, 3:12pm
When I finish my new build over in Diamond Harbour I'm going to get one to commute with. Flick the Blade Master and replace it with an IS-F for weekends and get a 24kwh Leaf to do the Christchurch commute.

I'm not concerned about the environment, I just want a cheap way of getting to work when I live a 75km round trip away.

scuba, Sep 19, 4:41pm
Once self drive cars become the norm / compulsory it will be cheaper to take a taxi than run a private vehicle for Joe average-car numbers will drop public car parks mainly redundant, give it 15 years. govts are already looking at kicking petrol/diesel burners on the scrap heap. Self drive trucks are nearly here- won't be long govt will be telling us its too dangerous to let people drive cars when a computer can do it for you.