2012 Toyota Prado VX

Page 1 / 3
frostidragon, Sep 23, 8:51am
2 years this November

frostidragon, Sep 23, 9:14am
So latest update. As warrant was due and the door wouldn't open I took it to a panel beater mate to see what he could do. He's no rookie and also has same model and was a little stumped after taking off what trim he could and still not be able to get at the main door panel due to it being flush. Then tried winding window down and he took off thin strip on outside to try and look down door but nothing obvious. He then pulled rubber seal out of right side of window and for some reason it unlocked by itself which made no sense to him but we were in so could get door skin off which revealed nothing, everything was working perfectly grrrr. Anyway long story short it at least unlocking but still not right so contacted the other Toyota dealer who were much nicer to deal with and offered to diagnose for no charge( unlike Miles ) and they're saying it's the actuator like drivers door. Still waiting to hear from Toyota NZ as to who's going to pay

ema1, Sep 23, 10:58am
Wouldn't need to lock it h g, who would want to steal a vehicle that's been hit with an ugly stick.
You sure as hell wouldn't blend into "normal" traffic. if you did and you'd need to be a "thick" thief ?
They are so amazing they don't need locks mate.
He loves to do mountain out of mole hill scare posts, obviously it's such an isolated case on Toyota's, can't help himself but to "apply" the white wash scenario.

bwg11, Sep 23, 4:54pm
Sorry frostidragon, that your Toyota experience has been so bad. I've owned 17 Toyotas (10 bought new in Christchurch) over the years and fortunately my experience is totally different to yours. I've only had one "just out of warranty" problem which was no problem to get fixed - it was a Celica jumping out of 5th on the overrun.

With respect, I can't help wondering if there is something we don't know. With those kilometers and age, was it an ex-rental? Hirers love playing in rivers with rental 4 x 4's and nothing stuffs electrics in doors faster than water.

frostidragon, Sep 24, 9:34am
No just one previous business owner, car was in great condition. Have had service records from beginning too and shows nothing. I too am a Toyota fan and previously had a 96 prado which we only changed due to age and kms, also on my second hilux which I love and my eldest son has just bought his first car - a manual celica which goes great. This experience won't put me off Toyota but likely to put me off certain dealers!

kazbanz, Sep 24, 9:11pm
frostidragon--it would seem the issue is very rare and frankly at that point the dealer should have stepped up to the plate. As you said its a reflection on the dealer not tbrand.

frostidragon, Sep 13, 6:48pm
Anyone out there had issues with the central locking. In particular the drivers and passenger door locks being faulty. Had the drivers side fixed 6 months ago { $700 } and now the passenger side has gone. It won't even open manually and of course Toyota don't give a toss as according to them, because it has done 160000 kms it's wear and tear.
Cheers

rodeorunch, Sep 14, 9:17am
Had problems with the wife's 07 rav a while ago.
Had to pull the locking mechanism out on all the doors and clean the inside
Of the little motor the drives the locking gear.
About $200 for a used one.

rodeorunch, Sep 14, 9:18am
But you're right this should not be happening yet.

supernova2, Sep 14, 12:35pm
Only 5 years old. Hmmm I don't think the door locks should be subject to a wear and tear problem at that age. (My 26 yr old ute has never had a door lock problem) Thinking it through the milage has nothing to do with the number of times the door has been opened. Also the passenger door has probably only had about half (if that) the use of the drivers.

If it's $700 a door then I reckon it's worth a claim in the disputes tribunal. Worst that will happen is you will not win.

desmodave, Sep 14, 3:18pm
Could be worse , think of the poor early vx land cruiser owners that had to pay to have a engine rebuild because of bearing failures at low mileage . OP have you done any research to see if is a common problem with that model .

martin11, Sep 14, 3:25pm
And that would be a waste of time with a 5 year old vehicle .

nzdoug, Sep 14, 4:05pm
I would want to strangle somebody.
This is supposed to be a Land Cruiser.
It might be wise to make mechanical insurance quotes to ease mind,

kazbanz, Sep 14, 4:32pm
Nope --niet, Je non ne paux, No way Hosei etc etc.
it aint fair wear and tear.

rodeorunch, Sep 14, 5:14pm
I think Toyota Australia look after there customers better than
Nz.
They are still replacing the dashboards in the 120 series Prado that
Are under 10 years old due to cracking issues.

frostidragon, Sep 14, 7:03pm
Thanks all. Pretty much what we think so are pissed off with Miles Toyota attitude and are waiting to hear back from Toyota NZ but won't hold my breath. And it's warrant time so as door won't open , that's an issue.

battleaxe, Sep 14, 7:59pm
i reckon a crack at disputes tribunal is worth it. The test is "what is reasonable". It is totally reasonable to expect the doors on an $80000 vehicle to last more than 5 years

rodeorunch, Sep 15, 1:46am
Just keep getting in to Toyota about it.
I keep on hassling them about my dashboard cracked and in the end
They supply the new dash and I had to pay for the fitting which I was happy
About as my one is a import.
Just keep playing the safety issues.

rodeorunch, Sep 15, 1:50am
Other thing is get on to the Aussie facebook page for your model cruiser

david_270, Sep 15, 6:53am
Toyota Oz have to be chased - Berrima Diesel have caught them out on a few things. Lots of stuff on their FB page, also some youtube videos. This one is about DPF's on 200 Cruisers. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mYrqmr9qb0o

gusthe1, Sep 15, 9:38am
I stopped reading this thread when you mentioned it was Miles Toyota. They put me off the brand.

frostidragon, Sep 15, 8:41pm
Think we will go down the disputes tribunal track. Worth a crack

a.woodrow, Sep 15, 10:39pm
Did you buy it new from Miles?

tamarillo, Sep 16, 8:47am
Id find a local old school mechanic who can pull it part and sort it.
And get a euro next time as that wouldn't do this. (-;

elect70, Sep 16, 9:20am
& they reckoned range rovers were unreliable & toyota Prados bullet prooff . . ha Local garage has 1 the owner is in 2 minds about fixing as the engine is stuffed & $$$ for a new 1& will not trust a used motor its about a 08