Is it legal to replace body tags/plates on a car?

Page 2 / 4
kazbanz, Jul 22, 8:02am
Sorry dude but if you use a doner chassis-be it car or bike and try to call it the other bike/car then that IS illegal. Theres no two ways about it.

mrfxit, Jul 22, 8:04am
The video also appears to have been only intended as a basic advertisement of what they do, NOT an instructional document.
Of course there will be a few things that are not perfectly correct.

mrfxit, Jul 22, 8:04am
Number plates are NOT chassis ID tags

mrfxit, Jul 22, 8:08am
It's the fact that anybody could do it that way regardless of intention.
Hence why it's deemed illegal unless certified.
Certification is the missing step the "rebirth" crooks don't do.

Intention =
https://dictionary.cambridge.org/dictionary/english/intention

richynuts, Jul 22, 11:35am
I bought a smashed up trx850 in 2005 from turners. I could only find a frame from Aussie so bought it and rebuilt the bike. I took bike into vinz with original vin plate from smashed frame. They reattached same vin plate to rebuilt bike and documented bike with having a donor frame. yet vin # and donor frame # were different. I only had receipt from Aussie wrecker and there was no history. So I don’t think it is a big deal just have receipts for everything more the better. pics also very good to have as well.

tony9, Jul 22, 11:58am
Trying to call it something else (with intent to defraud) was not in the OP. If it is fully documented and open to all (including LTNZ) then it is not fraud and not illegal.

tony9, Jul 22, 12:00pm
Can they? I would like to see a reference, if it exists.

framtech, Jul 22, 3:24pm
Club cars, Motorsport NZ rules changed to get more cars in club events. see their web site.

kazbanz, Jul 22, 3:46pm
yes it is illegal --Ok I will rephrase slightly --it IS illegal without the extra step richienuts took,--ie he went through the recompliance process.
That's very different from what the OP is proposing.

tgray, Jul 22, 4:39pm
I consider all illegal activity immoral.

tgray, Jul 22, 4:45pm
Yes there is fraud involved.
If nobody's being kept in the dark, run it by your local VTNZ or AA office and see what they say. Ask them what law would be broken in this 'hypothetical' situation.

ally-oop, Jul 22, 6:36pm
Can't you think for yourself?

ally-oop, Jul 22, 6:44pm
The scenario described here -if indeed exactly as described- is not immoral but is (technically) illegal (although it's not a scenario/result that the spirit of/any law would ever be drawn up against) -i.e the law concerned has only ever existed to prevent activity which is actually unscrupulous and has a victim (but by mindless interpretation/extension, technically applies to the described scenario).

trogedon, Jul 22, 6:52pm
I've replaced the frame on my motorbike after the scumbag stole it. I got a frame from the US of A, (had the seller cut it in half and push the part together for cheaper shipping), re welded it, welded over the frame number, ground down the welds, sandblasted and painted it. I then stamped in the old frame numbers. I see no problem with that.

trogedon, Jul 22, 6:53pm
Word. Though I think if he thought more about his statement.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heinz_dilemma

kazbanz, Jul 22, 8:28pm
I think Ally Oop has it nailed. YES it is illegal -You simply cannot change the identity of a vehicle. the definition of the vehicle being the chassis or frame. -That's the law, But it is in the OP's case a victimless crime.
ohh wait--the gubbiment misses out on their moolah for recompliance of the undamaged car.

ally-oop, Jul 22, 8:39pm
I think I've nailed it too -if I do say so myself lol (well it's a topic I've been aware of for some time(with it's various options and solutions), and I did put a fair bit of thought into it/how I worded it).

lookoutas, Jul 22, 9:03pm
I know people who have had a rusty bucket of shit early Mustang, and they have bought a brand new Dynacorn body from the States and changed the good bits over.
What if there were no good bits, so they pirated other bits and just used the ID from the original?
Same difference as mentioned above re doing vintage cars.
How much of the original is required in order to keep the "goodie two shoes" happy?

Lets just say we put a second-hand section of a car into a pranged one, and that section is where the ID tag is.
Is there a problem?

Every older model Hi-Lux that I have ever put a new radiator support panel into, looses one of its ID numbers.

Another laugh is fitting a complete S/H tail-door onto a wagon, and the window has the VIN of the vehicle it has come from tattoo'd in the corner.
One I did for myself got a '5 Speed' sticker slapped over it.
Should I got straight to Jail without passing Go?

snoopy221, Jul 22, 9:07pm
I'm all for protecting sick birds. ! iLL Eagles !
However as to my opinion if i legally owned 2 vehicles and was intending to keep one and use the other as per se parts donor to make one out of two were there per chance rust in an area that needed welding,priming and finish coating if that happened to be on a specific area with identifying stamping well as to which specific stamped/pressed in to steel body number and specific tags and registration plates and engine numbers that matched in a government computer well.
So long as they matched and there was No Problem with a warrant of fitness inspection.
Then i would still be the legal owner of ONE vehicle built with donor parts from another vehicle which i legally owned and then respectively i could deregister one vehicle and hand the plates in and just keep one aye?

fungles, Jul 22, 10:05pm
Just supposing the WOF bloke suspects its a dodgy vehicle. Does he ring the Police? Then do the police impound the vehicle, spend thousands to have it forensically tested, documented then interview the owner and attempt to prove he done it? Christ, the Police are so under resourced they are struggling to attend a proper crime. The suppose you get convicted. The jails are full, you are not a violent offender, so you will probably walk away with a fine. The fine will be less than the cost of the resources spent to convict you. You will quite likely get the vehicle back, older and wiser, you can learn from your mistakes and try harder to get away with it next time. Im picking if any WOF official suspects anything, he will either overlook it,, or tell you he wont issue the WOF and ask you drive it away. noone wants added grief working for wages on a 9 to 5.
Years of Scanner listening reveals even a stolen burned out wreck will usually be quickly disposed of if the plates and numbers are removed/destroyed, and not immediately visible , to fully check the identity is just too time consuming for Police to be economically viable in most cases, despite a real crime having been committed. The vehicle is simply checked against a reported stolen list, and assumed to be that vehicle when found. Its easy to credit authorities with more investigative powers than what they actually have available.

kevymtnz, Jul 22, 10:33pm
yeah it sounds good but NO
i had 2 cars the same one rusted and rego live and the other in mint but reg canceled but not in silly nz,

marte, Jul 22, 10:47pm
I do have to sort out some personalised plates on a car I bought last month, nobody seems to actually know (@ post office & VTNZ) they keep saying I have to take in the old personalized plates so they can keep them & then give me new plates.
But the old owner still has the actual plates, & I have a car with no plates, but still registered to the personalised plates.
I'm thinking the AA should know what to do there. I did find some form on the internet to fill out to 'do something' but even then its not fully explained.
Weird, this probably gets sorted out a hundred times a day in NZ.
But nobody really knows how.

So, I will ask the AA what they think of the swapping body number + plates idea on two legitimately owned cars.
I don't actually have two cars to do it with, I have a spare parts car - engines going into another car + spare parts intended for other cars.
The other identical car with no registered numberplates that I'm thinking of, it had been left with somebody, the owner might have gone overseas, then the somebody got told to sell it, when they went to do that they found out neither had put the car on hold & the rego had expired.

snoopy221, Jul 22, 10:58pm
the old owner still has the actual plates, & I have a car with no plates, but still registered to the personalised plates.

carjam either plate and see if they are to the same vehicle

https://www.carjam.co.nz/ then check expiry here https://transact.nzta.govt.nz/transactions/CheckExpiry/entry

then simple and easy is simply go to the damn post office pay ya fifteen bucks or so and get a NEW plate lost stolen destroyed old plate the NEW plate you get will be to the vehicle you have then from there warrant and rego=all legal.
Or go see previous owner and obtain plates.
But process is there okies
Hope This Helps

fungles, Jul 22, 11:09pm
Its typically flawed in that its bad law, open to interpretation.Good laws are black and white, uninterperable and logical. This is why we can "shop" around for a WOF, when actually ALL WOFs should be the same. The vehicle should either pass, or fail a WOF consistently nomatter where its issued and by whom. Seriously, I have gotten away with this many times, with bikes and cars with no problems. If I would ever be questioned, likely would shrug and suggest a previous owner may be at fault. how can anyone prove this?
The intention originally was to prevent car theft, rebadgiing and eventual resale. . it made no difference. it never could. Im not keen on paying over the odds so the government can keep their paperwork in order, and continually fool themselves that their flawed logic is working.
Being old helps too. us pensioners are not considered to be criminals so much.
Marte, you will unlikely get a straight answer from anyone, you will be given a non committal answer thats safe for the employee and their future job security.

supernova2, Jul 22, 11:11pm
AFAIK if you intend to sell a vehicle with personalised plates but want to keep the plates you have to get a new set of govt plates BEFORE you sell. You don't have to hand over the Personalised Plates to anyone as they are your property. Now in the case of buying a car that had personalised plates there must be a way for the buyer to do it, Ring NZTA might be the best bet