Nissan March any good?

gettinggrey, Jul 20, 5:35pm
Missus wants to get a March for her shopping/grocery trips. She likes the look of them!
I find them a tad ugly, but I won't be driving it much anyway.
Found a local 2006, nearly 90K on the clock, auto with 1240 motor.
Are they OK, or best to avoid? Known problem areas?
Other choice is a Demio, but they look to be a bit longer?
Thanks guys.

intrade, Jul 20, 6:18pm
if chain they are knowen to stretch chains Do some research if that still is a problem with engine numbers

tamarillo, Jul 20, 6:40pm
If it's a cvt one (Nissan changed from cvt to conventional auto a lot) I would do it, older Nissan cvt has poor rep. Plus assuming it is import how many airbags? Gotta protect her and by 2006 decent safety spec is available but el cheapo models, esp Japanese, can miss out.

franc123, Jul 20, 8:33pm
Chain stretchers, engine sensors seem to not have long lives and some examples have also blown head gaskets at surprisingly low kms too for no.obvious reason. Don't let dealers tell you being chain is a huge advantage over having one of those nasty snappy strippy timing belts. it isn't if you maintain them right, although virtually all 2000's era similar engines are also using chains, with differing levels of durability. March and Micra have a pretty cheap and nasty feel about them too IMO, and can believe it or not can be rust prone in some areas, the funny blister shape headlight lenses can be more deterioration prone than other makes by this age and can fail WoF. . Not one of Nissans better efforts, look at post 07 Fit or Jazz, Demio, Vitz etc.

kazbanz, Jul 20, 8:35pm
gettingrery--they go ok abnd do exactly whats written on the box.
But Imnot a fanboy of em. Only because I genuinely feel alternatives such as the Toyota Echo/vitz are so much better.

gettinggrey, Jul 20, 8:39pm
Thanks guys. Great stuff. No more March hunting (hooray). We have had 2 Jazz's already and Missus wants a change.
Now going to check out Demio's. Found a 2011 Demio, auto, 100k, and in our price range for just a shopping hack. It's the nicer looking shape so Missus is happy so far. Means I get the new Outlander all to myself and can adjust the rear mirrors to where I like and keep them there.
Just saw kazbanz comment. Yeah, I had an Echo sedan a few years ago. 5 speed 1.5. Great wee car. Missus doesn't like the dash in the centre (God give me strength. the small things that seem to make women love/hate a car).

thejazzpianoma, Jul 20, 9:25pm
How much do you have to spend?

meow_mix, Jul 20, 9:45pm
I sometimes walk past a pink March on the way to the shops, dunno if it's custom paint, it's so cute, definitely a girl's car.

mimik3, Jul 20, 9:57pm
For a VW or Fiat no one has that amount of money,

kazbanz, Jul 21, 10:31am
A few ideas for you-given we want small car
1)mazda verisa -very similar to a demio mechanically but IMO nicer to drive.
2)Newer Vitz/yaris--instruments are in front of the driver like normal
3) 2010 and newer Mitzi colt.

melvis4, Jul 22, 10:31am
Hillman Imp.

tgray, Jul 22, 12:07pm
I actually like March's. Driving a 2007 one about at the moment. Huge windows and great turning circle. Exc on gas and adequate power considering the engine size. Chain drive and mine is a 4 speed auto. Tiny boot though and considered a bit of a girls car.
Sold dozens of them and never had a problem.

poppajn, Jul 22, 5:52pm
get a swift

peja, Jul 23, 1:20am
My brother had an earlier model March. Survived years of merciless abuse OK, although I gather the CVT's in the newer ones have issues

briantamaki-god, Nov 7, 5:03pm
i purchased a 99 manual march the shape before the bubble one was super cheap on gas 5 speed she had it 5 years and sold it for what she paid for it
only issue had a fault with the electric power steer it went armstrong steering every now and then she just pulled over and restarted motor and was back to normal