Flat battery after charging iPad

robotnik, Jul 8, 1:20pm
Left an iPad charging in my car and the battery went dead. Battery is a high capacity maintenance free deal, about 3 years old. Does that mean the battery is on the way out? Car is a 2010 Golf GTI. An iPad might have a 4000mah battery I guess.

curlcrown, Jul 8, 1:26pm
Did you have to leave the ignition on? If so there would have been a lot of other circuits drawing current.

robotnik, Jul 8, 1:32pm
Seems this iPad has a 10000mah battery, which is a big battery. Ever had a phone or similar device drain you car's battery though?

robotnik, Jul 8, 1:33pm
No on this car the cigarette lighter stays live even with the ignition off.

the-lada-dude, Jul 8, 1:39pm
10000mah battery, 10 amp/hrs + efficiency factor of charge at say 20% at worst = 12 amp/hrs . quite a bit, but a good battery should cope with that

robotnik, Jul 8, 2:20pm
That's what I thought, as come to think of it I have charged 12000mah USB battery packs and stuff like that over night in the car without any issues.

The car battery actually has a May 2015 date stamp so is exactly 3 years old. It is a 500CCA Repco maintenance free with a 3 year warranty. I reckon those sealed batteries probably do pack up pretty early, just when their warranty runs out! Might have to get a regular battery which can be topped up when I replace this one.

tweake, Jul 8, 3:15pm
some chargers can draw a lot even when not charging. often noticeable by how hot the charger is.

keep in mind you only have to drop a lead acid battery down about 20% for it to be flat.

kazbanz, Jul 8, 3:35pm
My guess is that its in effect you left an interior light on overnight.So constant current draw.

axelvonduisberg, Jul 8, 3:49pm
Running the radio in my car for an hour will flatten the battery.

robotnik, Jul 8, 4:39pm
I have this particular accessory to USB charger plugged in all the time, so not that.

intrade, Jul 8, 4:51pm
modern cars flatten battery also.
i did hear a women paid 700 bux for programming and a new battery for her vw when i ordered the imput shaft seal for 10 bux at the local ic motors nissan aka vw diesel .
She said she likes the car but not the charges to the cashier ;)

intrade, Jul 8, 4:52pm
So Get a ctek charger i have to see hopfully my passat is not flat also its been out there a week without starting . normally i disconnect the battery if i dont use a car. Can be a problem if it looses its memmory about the battery however so a cteck every month topping up would be what i would be doing on your car poster 1
i think the womens battery was 3 year old i overheard. Toyota will do the exact same thing . them hundred tousend computers draw quite a lot of power and they get woken up for random reasons thinking you enter the car alarm system etc all draws power .

robotnik, Jul 8, 4:56pm
Thanks but this car is used everyday for long drives, so the battery should have been charged fully.

intrade, Jul 8, 4:59pm
i could think that if you charge something over the cig lighter the car antisipates your in the car going to drive off again any minute So all 100 tousend computers are woken and alive drawing emense power and you never drive off . battery dead . id say that only takes 6h to drain a 80% charge if all computers stay alive .

intrade, Jul 8, 5:03pm
find out if you have a smart alternator if you do then its never fully charged.

intrade, Jul 8, 5:13pm
smart charger are on cars for emission reasons .
just like hair thin wires and microfuses with 3 legs are on cars for emission reasons. As it makes no sense . but it does when you know that they did it to try and meet emissions.
Smart alternator do not fully charge a battery they charge it on downhill overrun to save on fuel and thus lower emissions . because it makes no sense to put a load a alternator on a fully charged battery. So it only comes on at 80% charge . But The batterys are not built to run at 80% charge . but who cares if you have to throw your battery away solong as the knothead greenies get there way of supposed lower emissions.
Ford bmw and nissan all use smart charger mid 2000 i assume vw and any other car make had to do so also or there be even more cheating law suits from the knotheads Who should be shot with fecies.

intrade, Jul 8, 5:32pm
My information is based on the about 30 grand nz$ i spent in training in the last 5 years. i dont just google and make assumptions i know stuff and see if i can find proof of it on google.
Vw have one notorious problem of door lock module faults my 2000 bora has it and i noticed a problem on my 07 passat also . the chinese have door modules for mk4 vag for 35 to 65$ each. i probably get me one of these .

yz490, Jul 8, 6:43pm
Ran a laptop off the cigarette lighter once [no motor] & went flat quick. Was 18 or 19 volt computer with an adapter. Does the voltage--like taking 18 out of 12 deplete the battery faster. Mind you my battery was not very good but still started the car daily, just.

robotnik, Jul 8, 7:09pm
Yeah seems unlikely the car came to life considering the ignition was off and there was no key either. The cigarette lighter happens to always be live on this car, think that is normal though.
L

marte, Jul 9, 12:56am
Its a bit of a enigma to me how charging a tablet or such can flatten a car battery.
But it does.
I have had it happen several times in my 96 gallant, even after buying a brand new battery for it. 350+CCA battery. With less than 5 hours tablet use.
And I've had it happen in my '01 Audi too. 720 CCA battery.

Just why its happening I have no idea, there's nothing else on & sometimes there's no key in it either. A interior light left on overnight won't flatten the battery either.

robotnik, Jul 9, 9:09am
Yeah so found out what likely happened. The iPad depleted a huge 20,000mah powerbank over night (did this as a test to simulate car charging) which would normally be plenty to charge an iPad in standby. Seems the iPad has some malware junk on it and it is coming on and downloading stuff, maybe calculating Bitcoin too, and basically running at high power, so drawing loads of juice, which would probably be sufficient to drain a car battery over night too.

intrade, Nov 29, 6:19pm
you might want to subscribe to this guy robotnik he could even know if what you think is true.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mvLnWXOI7Wc