Diesel golf or diesel focus?

Page 2 / 3
flack88, Jul 5, 5:21pm
#25 no more oil and gas from these clowns mite be pushing it!

kazbanz, Jul 5, 5:27pm
No question-Corolla or the Auris (jap import version) 1800 dual VVTi engine.

thejazzpianoma, Jul 5, 5:29pm
As a tall person who likes good cars. I wouldn't go for the Corolla, drive one and see. Japanese cars, especially smaller ones are just not a great fit for tall people. My first pick would still be the Giulietta for economy, low cost maintenance, value for money and depreciation. You can come in well under budget and still have a beautiful example.

Golf/Passat/Octavia/A3 would be my other go too's in the price range.

monaro17, Jul 5, 5:47pm
Don’t buy a corolla. Every time I get one as a rental I dislike them even more. Woeful doughy CVT, numb steering, rubbish infotainment suite, hard seats and totally inadequate performance compared to most rivals.

I have a 2012 golf. Petrol turbo (not twin charger). Great car. Super comfy, has a real turn of pace and ultra economical

meow_mix, Jul 5, 6:44pm
Stop confusing the lady with all this big boy talk, she has never heard of a Giulietta, she wants to know which is best, a diesel Focus or Golf?

OP I would go for the Focus, it is an honest car and the transmissions seem to be OK in the diesels (but not the petrols).

As you said in your first post you don't want to throw $15-20K at a knackered old Golf that will just give expensive problems.

totalimp, Jul 5, 7:07pm
I know what a giuiletta is! I’m not a total novice.

tsjcf, Jul 5, 7:11pm
That was a great link $4500 spent on engine repairs.

tsjcf, Jul 5, 7:22pm
Still seems to be an common occurrence to see golfs on here with 5K plus of repair bills normally the petrol ones. You think some would read the manual for the servicing requirements.

sw20, Jul 5, 7:23pm
Welcome to motoring. Where two posters will fill your threads with absolute crap.

Hope you find something suitable

tamarillo, Jul 5, 9:08pm
Op, if your hubby wants a diesel just get one. I THINK that most focus diesels are manuals and pretty basic in the spec dept so not my choice. The golf gets a good auto DSG box and the possibility of a better spec plus better open road sophistication and refinement.
One size up gets a mondeo diesel which will be more comfy on open road, more space, and very similar excellent economy. Plenty around as ex lease cars in hatch or wagon.
If you will consider petrol look at 08 on NZ new Honda Accord euro which has the 2:4 vtec and 5 speed auto. I was always in the 8 litres/100 k bracket with my company one and its high spec and really nice open road car.
The little more size of the mondeo / accord class makes it a much nicer open road vehcile for very little economy loss for such driving.
Personally I agree with comment above re Corolla, as I can't stand the whiny disconnect of the cvt transmission. But you might not mind it and they are effecient. Going by your previous car choices it might not be your cuppa tea though.
Mazda 3 and 6 are known to be a bit noisier than others, especially the 3, and would annoy me on open road.
Hyundia makes some good diesels if you're interested in them. Hardly fire lighting stuff though.
Skoda use same deisel and trans as the VW with bigger body and again there's some ex lease ones around. They seem to be good for lots of miles. Personally I like the Octavia as I like the simplicity of design but good road manners and plenty of space, I feel cramped in focus/golf sized cars and since Octavia offers same running gear with bit more space over golf it works for me and kids in back seat.

supernova2, Jul 5, 9:41pm
Am i right in thinking that car has been for sale for 8+ months? If so it's either well overpriced or something that nobody wants. Unfortunately I suspect both reasons apply.

tamarillo, Jul 5, 9:51pm
love them, innovative thinking, super light so ok with small engines, soft suspension with no pretence at unwanted sportiness. First decent Citreon for years.

poppy62, Jul 5, 10:14pm
Nah mate! I think there's new version on the way. Citroen agents have been pricing them to sell and they have really slashed the price. I looked at getting one less than 2 years ago and they were $32K- $35K. Great car really as Tamarillo said innovative and a great drive.

gunhand, Jul 5, 10:21pm
Oh dear God what birthed or vomited that out? I guess its mother loves it tho. if it was born.

ingies, Jul 5, 11:49pm
Have you thought about electric? Can pick up a good used Nissan Leaf for about 15-20 thousand. Will easily do the range you want. Very cheap to maintain, and even cheaper to run, will pay for itself with petrol savings. Try one for a test drive to see if it suits your needs. Expect a lot of anti EV replies but I think they are the way of the future.

s_nz, Jul 6, 12:56am
As somebody else has mentioned, this is pritty much the perfect use case for a nissan leaf. Take a 2012/2013 one for a test drive.

They are a little bigger than a corrola, are available quite well specified, and are nice to drive.

Running cost will be way lower than any petrol/diesel car.

I assume you take your patrols on long trips, so no issues with the 130km range. just plug it in each night.

vtecintegra, Jul 6, 7:47am
I don't think the Leaf is a very good open road car, the suspension is too soft and they're extremely under-tyred for their weight.

vtecintegra, Jul 6, 7:49am
You'd have to be keen though as you'd need to disassemble half the interior to do the job properly.

Much of the problem is the stock tyres though, especially the 18"s so you can tackle the problem that way.

cjohnw, Jul 6, 8:44am
I agree. I was a passenger in a Leaf on a trip between Nelson and Blenheim. Not a comfortable journey as a passenger. Those tyres/rims seem too narrow and the car wanders too much. Better as a town vehicle IMO.

mopsy3, Jul 6, 11:26am
Go and drive a few cars, see what you like, tell your husband you're driving it not him. Get a pre purchase check. Buy it.

totalimp, Jul 6, 4:47pm
WOn the battle for a petrol. So now looking for a Mazda skyactive. Will test drive a few cars tomorrow without the kids and see what we like. Thanks for your help!

djrandomguy, Jul 6, 10:10pm
The PSA diesels are better than both the ford and the VW. You have to include them in a comparison, especially now that the new Citroen and Peugeot cars are being built a hell of a lot better then the horrible 307 -period. My 306Hdi is quiter than my neighbour's MK6 golf and the Hdi units are well known to achieve very high mileage without major issues. Feed them and service them well and you'll be sweet.

djrandomguy, Jul 6, 10:12pm
woops, didn't see your last reply. Petrol aye, skyactive is nice but try a 1.2 turbo triple from PSA, nicknamed the gruntmonkey, it has taken multiple engine of the year awards.

the-lada-dude, Jul 7, 10:47am
Lucky you, but the battle still rages here . I would have gone for a 1927 model A Ford coupé myself

kazbanz, Jul 7, 12:09pm
Just a heads up. -You CAN turn the skyactive off so its a normal vehicle. and the skyactive only works in certain conditions. I went through it with one customer who insisted it was broken.