Diesel worth it for commute?

_peas, Aug 24, 8:42pm
Looking to replace the wagon with something a bit newer/lower km. Come across a C250 diesel with 85km on it. I currently commute via motorway predominatly 25km each way to work. As i understand diesels prefer long hot running rather than quick trips does 250km/week just getting to and from work validate that theory? Never owned a diesel but didn't want to rule them out. Any known hooks to look out for with the Mercs coming up to 100km?

s_nz, Aug 24, 8:48pm
How old? Issue with short running diesel cars relates to the Diesel particulate filter found only on newer diesel cars.

How fast is your commute. If your not crawling in traffic, 25km could be long enough to get the engine hot enough for the regeneration cycle.

_peas, Aug 24, 8:50pm
I generally do 5 minutes at approx 70 then motorway (100kph) all the way there for the remaining 15mins. The homeward trip is a different route that is fairly freeflowing but only at lower speeds through the 'burbs.

mojo49, Aug 24, 8:55pm
Looks like less than 15000km per annum. Could not imagine that diesel would be cheaper than petrol for those kms per annum.

_peas, Aug 24, 9:13pm
The car is a 2010. I would think that I would hit 15000km if I include weekend trips etc. Is that pretty much the break even point? I bought my last wagon 3.5 years ago and have notched up just over 50km on it over this time.

intrade, Aug 25, 7:36am
if you have a diesel with Diesel particulet filter then 50km in one trip without stop is the minimum . This is What a Diesel filter requires in distance and time at 2200rpm or above moderate speed to clean it self from sooth.
the total lve span under best circumstance is 245 tousend kilometer. After this the filter is blocked with ASH and ash needs ro removed as you know from wood fire places .
2010 nothing can be legally deleted emission wise because the law that it is illegal has passed a few year before.
My 07 passat is built before the law. technically i am also not allowed to remove anything. But no one knows if the dpf had been removed before this law or after. if a car is built after the law you have no chance to win in court. In some ways you have to think like lawyers .
new dpf my passat had a new one at 190.000km at 9 grand recipts in the service book.

intrade, Aug 25, 7:37am
nop AECS.bet herbert has a ML mercedes he said he had the launch scantool on his and it aborts regeneration and only completes at 48km distance at moderated speed and distance without any stop.

mrfxit, Aug 25, 7:52am
Fair enough if it's only being used for 1 or 2 passengers as work transport.
Totally different story as all round passenger & load transporter.

_peas, Aug 25, 5:27pm
Really good to know. So how often does it need to do that to keep running efficiently? Surely its not necessary to complete 48km on every trip?

Are there any other negatives to the C2XX class of the ~2010 era that I should know about?

vtecintegra, Aug 25, 5:47pm
On a C-class I'd say your break even is going to be well over 15k (if comparing the C250 with the turbo 1.8 to C250 diesel). On a larger vehicle it'd be a different matter but the petrol C class isn't bad on fuel in the first place.

tamarillo, Aug 25, 6:54pm
All this talk of long trips. these things are used as Taxis in some f the slowest running clogged cities in the world. Decent motorway run is way ample IMO.

saxman99, Aug 25, 7:52pm
Merc diesels have a great reputation for longevity. My sprinter has 360k on it running great, I rode in a taxi in Germany with the 3L engine had over 850k on it.

intrade, Aug 25, 9:10pm
once a week long trip no stop 50km AECS told us should be sufficient.

serf407, Aug 25, 10:04pm
In some of those clogged cities there are no free running motorways.
Acerev dpf cleaner liquid tipped in the vehicle's diesel tank.

https://youtu.be/BD2rwh6lQlE (tipping dpf cleaner in the merc's diesel tank. http://acerev.com/acerev-dpf-cleaner/

mber2, Aug 26, 4:45pm
remember taxis are not normally cold as they are usually on the go all the time

intrade, Aug 26, 5:18pm
warning you got quite a few things wrong the blue cap is the def. diesel exhaust fluid.
if you put DEF urea in the diesel then you can put your car in the crusher as every last thing will be destroyed from fuelpump to injectors to engine. in absoulute no time about 5 minutes operation on urea.

intrade, Aug 26, 5:22pm
Next thing no matter what you do its not gona clean no dpf that blocked and egr full of sooth.
What needs to be done is egr must be checked for correct function cleaned first and then a forced Regeneratin done with BG- prod pulsed in to the intake . then oil and filter changed after a forced Regeneration.
Short trips are ultra expensive in servicing costs.
Morreys in diesel will do just as much as any other additive in fuel. and a dpf will block up on short trips and so will EGR.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9jMhAmpSIGs

intrade, Oct 14, 6:54pm
Taxis normaly have urea emulator and dpf deletes fitted .