Battery going flat every day

Page 2 / 3
the-lada-dude, Apr 4, 8:39am
faulty diode in the alternator, they will still charge the battery ok but will back feed current to the battery when stopped

intrade, Apr 4, 8:53am
yea that at times is another direct feed to the battery on some cars . who could easy disepate 4 amps

supernova2, Apr 4, 9:58am
That was something i thought of as well but surely an autosparky would be on to that?

trade4us2, Apr 4, 11:21am
Is there likely to be a fuse in that circuit, so it could be discovered if the fuses are pulled out one by one?

supernova2, Apr 4, 11:27am
May not be so simply disconnect the wires from the alternator. Being careful not to short things out. Insulation tape over the wires while testing etc.

Another thought - fault door lock relay, or similar, holding a solenoid "on"

trade4us2, Apr 4, 11:39am
The owner says that when he connects the battery, he can hear the radio going faintly. There is a push button switch to turn the radio on, and it's off. So really weird. However we will see what his auto electricians come up with, if anything.

tony9, Apr 4, 11:41am
Range Rovers and other "clever" cars of the era are notorious for flattening the battery if left near an airport or some mobile phone towers. The radio signals trigger the body control computer and put it on high alert which draws more power.

tony9, Apr 4, 11:43am
Is it the original or an other radio? If not the original sounds like they have the accessory and the permanent power supply the wrong way round.

bigfatmat1, Apr 4, 12:34pm
won't charge properly if shorted as a phase will be shorted so will be 2/3 of output. A amp clamp round the b+ to alt would quickly check this also looking for ac ripple on scope would tell us

next-to-normal, Apr 5, 10:54am
hows the alarm

nzshooter01, Apr 5, 3:59pm
Hope this helps, cple of things, do you realise the security takes 20mins to shut down once you have pulled the ignition key and shut the door?, if you open the door again its the start of another 20mins,
Also haveing CORRECT battery is critical, any old new 'good' 12 volt battery wont do, been there done that

fordcrzy, Apr 8, 12:17pm
seat heaters or rear window demister

richynuts, Apr 8, 7:26pm
Wipers. common fault. Radio or faulty ignition.

emmerson1, Apr 8, 10:40pm
My GM car does this - intermittently. It also seems that after one really good 'flat' (not enough power to even turn a light or dashboard on), the battery never holds as much as it used to. My solution has been to add a 5W solar panel which seems to be able to top up during the day what the fault sucks out of it. My family laugh at me for it, and obviously it looks odd even on a 4wd. My suspicion is the body computer based on the fuse pulling exercise.

intrade, Apr 8, 10:42pm
39 you need to lock the bonnet latch so the car thinks bonnet is shut and use a ampclamp and a scope to trace what uses power .

emmerson1, Apr 8, 11:25pm
I'll give that a go sometime, thanks. Hi-ho, hi-ho, off to Jaycar I go.

friendly_prawn, Apr 9, 2:10am
I have just been through this and my problem was much worse as it was intermittent so was doing my head in. I thought rather than muck around I took the car to Milford auto electrical. They were brilliant.
The put the car in their workshop and kept it there for a week. Every time they walked past they tested it to see if they could find the intermittent fault.
It never arose the whole time it was there.

So next step was to replace the part they thought was faulty and causing the issue and they put in a new battery. They said often batteries can test good but swapping them out can fix the problem. They said its amazing how many times batteries can be a major pain in the ass. They kept an eye on it and noted it never went flat while in the shop.

2 weeks on, no more problems, so then they put my old battery back in Now 3 weeks on, no problems.

So they have narrowed it down to the part that they suspected. They got it right. They said the fix isnt going to be expensive as it wasn't time consuming. Over all I give them 10 out of 10 for solving this problem. Done about as efficiently as can be expected considering it was an intermittent fault. Yours being a full time fault should be easy to locate.

Now to see how easy they are on the account. About to go and pay the bill tomorrow.

For all the headaches, just take it to a reliable electrical shop. The problem is often finding a shop you can trust. This Milford auto electrical in Porana road has been brilliant and quite human to deal with in their attitude. Awesome to deal with so Im recommending them. Will let you know how much they charge after I go settle the account tomorrow.

trade4us2, Apr 9, 8:58am
An ampclamp! Brilliant. Why didn't someone mention that before?

However this is not my car and I seldom see the owner. He has been getting bad advice for years, and he goes to the top Jaguar dealer (is there more than one?) and auto electricians.
He has a new Varta battery specially imported. I think the battery is fine.

I had a problem for years with my body computer and it was a simple matter to solder up the broken solder joints on the circuit board.
I noticed yesterday that my computer-controlled car seat controls work without a key in the ignition, so that's another potential user of power.

intrade, Apr 9, 9:28am
* 43 there is loads more it seems you have a clue about things . you could also sign up to iatn.net and hunt there, for knowen problems . There is a fee to pay for hunting data base i think. iatn also allows to request help You write up whats been done so far when your stuck and cant see the trees in the forrest sort of thing.
its A professionals forum only as they dont have time to answer dum questions like my white car wont start.

intrade, Apr 9, 9:38am
what i would do is look what the car is doing if the battery - is disconected over night if it has to relearn loads of things.
i know my passat needs to relearn steering angle each time battery is disconected 6 speed manual So no lost transmission clutch engage data like some toyota lose when battery voltage drops to low destroys the trans.
if nothing much happens a cheap fix could be a big contactor to shut off all power with a switch in the car. Cheap and dirty if the computers dont loose learned important data each time.

intrade, Apr 9, 9:58am
i can read help requests to what i subbed and then the fixes for a few days once they close . Here is one of the fix list.
IN
JTEBU17R670122312
Mileage
171,000 mi
Engine
4.0L / 6 cyl / Gas
Trans
5-speed Automatic Transmission (Electronic)
Delivery
Fuel Injection
Misc.
1Gr-Fe

Chain on drivers side cylinder head broke.

Can someone tell me if this engine is an interference type motor I've looked everywhere and can not find out for sure if it is or not

I've called the dealer, they couldn't tell me, I've check'd Alldata, Identifix and google to no avail

Engine still runs and seems to be ok except for the rattle for this chain being broke. I just dont want to replace all the chains and related parts only to find out it has bent valves?

Any good solid answers would be much appreciated
Related Repair History

Interference engine?
14 replys.

Fix
FIX posted on Apr 6, 2018 9:15:49 PM

Thanks for reply?s. Its fixed and had no bent valves. We pulled it apart and found the upper chain on the left bank that keeps the 2 cams in sync had snapped due to tensioner guide failed. No bent valves even though the motor ran. So happy. Installed new chains. Guides and tensioner and it runs like a kitten. Thanks for the replies.

nz_stacie, Apr 9, 9:58pm
whos car is it

trade4us2, Jul 15, 11:37pm
Apparently there was a partly disconnected and unwanted GPS unit in the car which was turning itself off and on sometimes.
I am still not impressed by that mechanic.
Who fixes Jags in Auckland who knows what they are doing? My excellent mechanic retired 5 years ago, and I have been fixing my own car since.

rovercitroen, Jul 16, 3:02am
KSM Jaguar were good. Did any of the workshop guys carry on once Ken retired? Some say The Toy Shop is good with Jaguar.

ceebee2, Jul 18, 4:58pm
I agree they are vey knowledgable and all their accounts reflect this.

I used to avoid them if possible.