Passenger door will not unlock

maclad, Sep 13, 4:12pm
On my 1999 Odyssey. It won't open with the key or manually from the inside. The lock is too tight and refuses to pull up enough to unlock and the key won't turn. It feels like it is being obstructed by something which has possibly come lose, but only guessing. I feel if I force the key to turn it will break. Also for the year or two, and it has caused no issues, the outer handle on the same door has popped out so that the bottom of it sticks out a good half inch more than the other handles, but it works fine. Any ideas please.

dutch9, Sep 13, 5:32pm
Childrens lock on ?

kazbanz, Sep 13, 5:37pm
have you tried the central locking from drivers door?

maclad, Sep 13, 5:39pm
Thanks but the door would still unlock from outside with key.

maclad, Sep 13, 5:41pm
Nothing works

johotech, Sep 13, 6:02pm
It's broken. Take the panel off and fix the broken stuff.

a.woodrow, Sep 13, 6:06pm
Most likely the lock actuator sticking

lookoutas, Sep 13, 6:13pm
Often springs will break in the mechanisms, and then things will stop where they aren't supposed to stop.
People who know what they're doing and know where to look, can sometimes fix them. Otherwise you will need to replace faulty parts.

I saw a Mustang at the Palmy Swap Meet with a wonky door handle just like mine was once. Have since felt a dork for not leaving a note with my contacts, so I could tell them how to fix it. Otherwise in 6 months time it will be completely stuffed when it eventually flys to bits, and needs replacing.
It was an Orange 05-09 Roush, if somebody knows who owns it - and the drivers door handle doesn't return to the normal position any more.

maclad, Sep 13, 6:14pm
Thanks ,tell me more, how do I identify this actuator. I have never done this before and have no idea what I'm looking for, but with advice from lots of helpful folk I usually manage to get things sorted. Will google as well.

maclad, Sep 13, 6:25pm
Oh my. I googled and that is quite complicated and quite a lot of work

lookoutas, Sep 13, 6:28pm
What you have described is exactly what happens when a spring in the main lock breaks. Common with Honda's.
You're lucky the door can be opened. At the moment.
I'd bet 10 bob to a knob of goats turd that here will be a toggle in the lock that isn't returning due to a broken spring.

cattleshed, Sep 13, 6:35pm
The lock and outer handle can be tricky to get in and out on those. Personally, this is NOT one for a novice.

maclad, Sep 14, 5:52am
One more stupid question please. How can I get this door opened to do the work, it is locked tight

kazbanz, Sep 14, 9:40am
maclad-THAT is the big issue--You need to remove the door card. To do that with the door closed/locked most likely you will need to remove the seat to gain access. Once the door card is off its possible to manually open the catch and push the door open.
The passenger door is almost a mirror of the drivers door as far as removing the skin is concerned--screws etc are in the same places.
To be honest with a 18 year old vehicle once I had the skin off I would be looking first for a rod come loose. but most likely the easiest fix is to put a new mechanism in.

maclad, Sep 14, 4:13pm
Thank you but I had a bit of a break through today. Decided to try key again but I pushed door handle in to where it should sit and the key worked perfectly. So guessing it is a broken spring in the mechanism. I bought a door handle etc a few months ago so have a replacement here, now if only I could remember where I put it.

maclad, Sep 14, 4:13pm
Thanks everyone for all the help.

cattleshed, Sep 14, 4:41pm
Sounds like the door handle may just need to be tightened.

kazbanz, Sep 24, 12:14am
maclad--I think its worth having a looksee inside the door.