Looking for a toyota key shell without the blade

mansonprincess, Aug 8, 9:30pm
attached. Long story short, my key shell snapped. brought one off trade me but all the key blades are glued in. Took it to a key cutting place and no matter how hard they tired, after the 4th attempt, I walked away with a stuffed key cut not able to use. i have a key but just want to move it to a new shell - anyone can help please? thank you heaps

mansonprincess, Aug 8, 9:32pm
i tried to cut away the plastic bit where the blade was but ending up slicing my finger - more trouble then its worth so far

kazbanz, Aug 9, 9:14am
I would be billing the key cutting place. Unless you ordered totally the wrong kind of blade its just a standard cut.
Im not aware of ANY suppliers of "shells" as such it is always shell and blank/uncut key and they swap the innards over.--The blade is bonded to the "shell"
Do be aware that there are two types of shells chipped and unchipped. If your original shell is chipped and the new one is unchipped it will NEVER start the car. -open the door yes but not start it.
You will also find that you have two shell options-one looks like factory the other one looks 'rougher' the "rougher" one is more robust.
Kelly -Sorry checked your profile see you are a westy -- don't muck around -Go see Brett at Lock Services --he's next to Midas on Gt nth road.-Between Henderson valley and Lincoln rd He comes across a bit grumpy but really knows his stuff.

budgel, Aug 10, 12:27pm

lk104, Aug 10, 1:19pm
How do you know its that key?
Cheap Chinese junk will last you 6 months before breaking.
Genuine Toyota Key Blanks are around $35.

friendly_prawn, Aug 10, 2:44pm
I bought a shell for my key / transponder from a local auto alarm / stereo shop. Cost me $20. It was for a subaru although I'm sure they'll have Toyota. Want me to dig up their name? They're on the shore.

intrade, Aug 10, 4:56pm
be awear there is most likely a rfid chip in the plastic if you damage thats its going to be real expensive with a all key lost type cost.
i dont know to what idiots you took the key but if they cant do it a professional will tell you before hand and offer there solution . a toyota key is 120$ from a locksmiss Thats what i did read on a clients bill and i scanned his key and took a immage for the coding in case he loses all , then i could make a clone from the coding for him.

intrade, Aug 10, 5:11pm
https://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/iugAAOSwy4hURzVM/s-l300.jpg
This key fully molded has a immibilizer chip embeded in the plastic molding. So be warned usualy a immo light in dash cluster its a wierd thing
franz. would or should know what it looks like on toyota.

kazbanz, Aug 10, 7:14pm
Um guys--the op already stated the blade is the type moulded into the shell.
Sorry but my reply in post three was specifically in response to her question not generic to all Toyota's

budgel, Aug 10, 11:04pm
That page is full of different Toyota keys.
I posted the link on the outside chance that he might find a suitable one there.
Where do you think most car companies get their keys manufactured these days?
Obviously a local supplier would be preferable if the price is OK.

ignition328, Aug 10, 11:30pm
I 3d printed mine

https://puu.sh/BbURa/9da8fed96a.png

Genuine ones break more easily than the chunky form that is the 3d printed one. Quite thick with lots of infill.

mansonprincess, Aug 13, 9:09pm
yes i brought one off trade me, yes it was cheap and it feels cheap as well, yip the key cut place stuffed up - it was an accident so i get it and i didnt pay heaps for the shell but i didnt want to follow it up as i just pulled it apart afterwards. My original toyota key is not glued it it was just screwed in but these ones on trade me and glued and feel cheap - i dont mind paying a bit more to get an actual toyota one, but i will look at all above so thank you for the advice - the empty shell should let me transfer my key and battery over but all the keys are glued and i wasnt expecting it to come like that

mansonprincess, Aug 13, 9:16pm
hey, yes i know where that place is, might give them a try

kazbanz, Aug 14, 10:57am
sorry if I sound argumentative but I'll put money Your original blade is broken out of the shell. ie its not supposed to come away. They come moulded in like with the new/cheap one.
I deal with that scenario with those shells all the time.

intrade, Aug 14, 11:03am
dont forget to report back how it went experience cost solutions.

mansonprincess, Aug 14, 12:08pm
yes you are probably right - it was probably glued but also had a screw -

mansonprincess, Aug 14, 12:14pm
i rung the key cutting place as well that ruined the first one (not purposly) to see if they would help me out with a replacement, apparently there is no guarantee with key cutting so of course either way im going to have to repay grrr anyhow

mansonprincess, Aug 14, 12:21pm
my outcome at the moment is Brett from lock services henderson will do me a 35.00 or 65.00 one, he def agreed ones on trade me a shite, so this seems like the best out come as ive already wasted 12.00 with cheap crap

budgel, Aug 14, 2:14pm
Good ole Kaz to the rescue again!

kazbanz, Aug 14, 4:26pm
Take ALL the remains of the old key and fob to Brett. Just in case its got a moulded in security chip. he will scan it to see if theres a chip.

kazbanz, Aug 14, 4:40pm
if you have a closer look you'll see that the screw is there to hold the "pop off" half of the head in place.You unscrew it to replaqce the battery in the remote.
if you look closer at the back part of the broken plastic youll see white stress fractures at both ends and where the webbing goes.

mansonprincess, Aug 15, 10:06am
yes ive collected up all and will take it to him hopefully this saturday, thank you all for your help, i ended up almost being more trouble then it was worth but im over not having a reliable key and the button lock and unlock i kept losing as it was always falling out -

supernova2, Oct 25, 1:58pm
Rubbish. The CGA provides that a person providing a service has to do so with reasonable care. If a key cutter can't cut a key then clearly that's not reasonable care.