Battery Life

dublo, Aug 22, 10:40am
We bought our modern (well, 1999) car in 2009. Its battery, unknown age and I can't see the brand, is still working fine (hope those are not "famous last words!") and our garage man says just get a new one as soon as the starter fails to spin the engine at its normal speed.
Now, the Repco 260 battery in one of our Old English cars is only 4 years old. The car doesn't get a lot of use and may sit in the garage for 1-2 weeks, during which time it loses a lot of charge. In fact, it will drop off in a few days to the extent it will not be possible to start the engine. A few hours on the charger brings it back to life and it is okay if the car is used daily. The car's ammeter shows the generator is charging the battery ok. But time to buy a new one? I am tempted by the latest circular from SCA in which they are offering a 25% discount on batteries!
Our other (old, but alternator-fitted) cars have an Exide Economy of 2014 and an AA Extra heavy Duty of 2009, both still going strong.

martin11, Aug 22, 10:42am
Check and see what is draining the battery while the car is sitting .

boby11, Aug 22, 10:48am
Every time the battery goes so low it shortens its life. Car batteries are not designed to have discharge low and then recharge cycles

dublo, Aug 22, 11:07am
martin11: No, it loses its charge even when removed from the car. (I had that problem once - the boot light switch needed adjusting!)
I guess time to buy a new one.

martin11, Aug 22, 11:13am
Buy a good quality one our car that does not get used much has a battery 9 years old in it . Probably have to get one before next winter .

kazbanz, Aug 22, 11:36am
to be honest mate in your specific situation I'd be tempted to hook up a battery tender.i reckon you'll get another few years of you use that.

msigg, Aug 22, 11:39am
Exile is good

serf407, Aug 22, 11:42am
Can be fairly pointless to buy new batteries if the new battery quickly goes the same way as the old battery.

Charge and maintain.
https://www.hagerty.com/articles-videos/articles/2016/07/05/maintaining-a-classic-battery Battery construction https://www.centurybatteries.co.nz/products/the-century-batteries-difference

intrade, Aug 22, 11:47am
id get ine from parts master. Live is usually the warranty time so you want 42 month warranty battery no matter what brand

the-lada-dude, Aug 22, 12:24pm
I agree, get the buggers out

dublo, Aug 22, 1:31pm
Thanks everyone - good information and advice! I will check out trickle chargers as well as new (good quality) batteries in the shops.

martin11, Oct 19, 4:10pm
Ctek charger are good for that sort of work .