99 Hiace questions?

Page 1 / 2
rosehonda, Jun 8, 5:16pm
Does 65psi sound right for tyre pressure? the door label is Japanese. Says 42psi for 6prlt and 65psi for 8prlt, tyres also say 65psi on them it just seems allot compared the cars I have had which take half that.

What oil should I use for a 5L motor? The supercheap site suggest 15w40 will that be ok for winter? The plate by the motor in amongst the Japanese mentions 10w30 and 5w30.

Also I have broken contacts on the sliding door. I believe the 2 pin one is for central locking but what is the 4 pin one for?
https://trademe.tmcdn.co.nz/photoserver/full/808157409.jpg

hkjoe, Jun 8, 5:22pm
That's only four questions.

gammelvind, Jun 8, 5:27pm
Haha, only 95 to go!

intrade, Jun 8, 5:29pm
when it states 65 psi on tyre that is the pressure you can fill before it blows A part at 66 psi.
You never ever fill the maximum pressure a tyre is testded to. 42 sounds about right absolut max be 45 psi

intrade, Jun 8, 5:30pm
oil use "diesel extra valvoline" change every 5000km or once a year.

tweake, Jun 8, 5:43pm
it means nothing as you will not have the original oem tires the chart is meant for.
go by what is written on the tire sidewalls. it will have a max psi for a certain load.
that gives you an idea of what you should set it at.
and no its not going blow up if you put that max pressure in. intrade is on the sauce again.

tweake, Jun 8, 5:48pm
15w40 is fairly standard for diesel oil. a 5l engine will run that perfectly fine.
however in snow conditions 10w30 is probably better.
get used to doing oil changes.
also with that style of van, do a lot of air filter changes if your on gravel roads at all. the mud/dust coming off the front wheels hits the air intake perfectly.

sr2, Jun 8, 5:57pm
I often used to run my 97 Hiace (8 ply 'light truck tyres' - various brands) at 65 psi when hauling big loads, they're designed to do it. Did nearly 500,000 Km without having a tyre 'blow" as Intrade so eloquently puts it.

I've always run my Diesels on Valvolene as well. With mechanical injection I change oil every 5,000 km and filter every 10,000. With common rail it's an oil and filter every 15,000 km. Been 8 years since my last Hiace and I cant remember which grade I was running (al-Simons disease again!).

Keep an eye on the cam-belt, they're inexpensive and not a big mission to change.

stevo2, Jun 8, 6:33pm
On my old shape Hiace I ran 8 ply tyres and ran 60 psi in the rear and 50psi up front and always carried around 800kg. I also used Valvoline as Intard mentioned in post #5 at 5000km intervals. Did a fuel filter every 20,000km. Sold it at around 160km and still ran like new.

msigg, Jun 8, 6:40pm
Yes as above, depends on the loads, no load then go 45, large loads go up to 50. I run my prado at 48 when towing the trailer with jeep on, i have a fair weight on the tow bar, no problems. You should be able to feel the difference between under inflation and over inflation. Oil, castrol, penrite, whatever, yea as above too, 10-30, 15-40. All good.

tmenz, Jun 8, 8:00pm
x1
My '95 NZ-new Hiace states 47 psi front, 65 psi rear when loaded.

mack77, Jun 9, 7:05pm
Definitely run 65psi on the rear when the van is carrying its max permitted load; any pressure less than this will increase the risk of the tyre overheating and failing. These comments apply to 8ply rated tyres of course.

mack77, Jun 9, 7:07pm
When the van is operated with no load, 8ply tyres must be inflated to at least 42psi to prevent the risk of them delaminating

tweake, Jun 9, 8:22pm
lol
any mention of tire pressures without actually knowing what tires are fitted means nothing. for eg 65 psi could easily be well over max pressure for a lot of commercial tires.

mack77, Jun 9, 10:10pm
A good point, but I'm fairly sure that your statement will only be true for tyres that have a ply rating of less than eight. I have qualified my comments in the "postings" above by stating: "8 ply rated tyres".

sr2, Jun 9, 10:30pm
Surely that's why (as the OP did), you rely the recommended tyre pressures printed in the sidewall?

tweake, Jun 10, 11:29am
OP mentioned both.
the max pressure on the sidewall is the one you work off, not whats written on the door label.
the tire has a max pressure at a max load weight. you decrease the pressure to suit your actual weight. that gets you in the ball park. then fine tune the pressures depending on how it handles and road conditions.

a good example is a mates 4wd (2 ton+). factory air pressure is in the 20's (26-28 psi ? ).
you run that on any new tire you will probably stuff the tire. the tire shops keep pumping them up to 30+psi and it handles like crap. however because he still runs the original tires (!) he lowered it back down to factory spec and it handles perfectly fine.

sr2, Jun 10, 11:34am
That's what I was saying!
(Facepalm)

rosehonda, Jul 16, 12:24pm
Has anyone owned one of these had issues with getting the auto fill to work at the gas station? Is it a common issue? I am guessing it's the shape of the filler tube?

supernova2, Jul 16, 1:33pm
Try turning the pump handle sideways or even upside down.

azzab54, Jul 16, 1:41pm
We run our fleets rear tyres at 65psi,the tyres are marked as a maximum of 69psi. We don't have any problem at all. Damn good tyres too.

rosehonda, Jul 16, 1:46pm
Tried sideways will try upside down next time

rosehonda, Jul 26, 9:42am
Is it safe to drill a 12mm hole in the roof? without wof issue as long as i'm not drilling through any cross beams. Would rather check before I drill

nice_lady, Jul 26, 9:52am
No WOF check is going to care about a half inch hole drilled in the roof of a van - and why wouldn't it be 'safe' ?

rosehonda, Jul 26, 10:11am
didn;t think so, like I said just wanted to check, easy to drill, very hard to un-drill