Clutch shudder at mid pressure engagement

Page 1 / 2
intrade, Oct 2, 7:27pm
that would mean the shudder was from the driveshaft cardan joint moved out of alignement during the event .

lookoutas, Oct 2, 8:49pm
I have to guess/hope that the parts you mention were the old ones, and it wasn't the replacement plate that had worn springs. I was told by a knowledgeable mechanic years ago that clutch shudder was caused by loose clutch plate springs.

jmma, Oct 2, 9:00pm
He not that knowledgeable then :o)
Bent clutch plate, out of alignment pressure plate fingers, oil on clutch plate, warped flywheel,. -
. -
. etc

mrfxit, Oct 2, 9:23pm
Rebuilt driveshaft by ATL driveshafts Ltd

mrfxit, Oct 2, 9:24pm
Clutch shudder can be a single fault or a mix of faults.
This had a brand new std spec clutch kit fitted & the flywheel was skimmed.

I drove it down from Auckland with the sick gearbox & (now known) badly worn clutch kit.
Also drove it a few kms around Hamilton sorting a few things for getting it repaired & it didn't have any shudder at that stage.
At this stage, I am out of ideas apart from somebody not doing their job correctly but that would mean 1 of 2 different very well experienced pro's has screwed up at some point.

jrlaw, Oct 3, 6:52pm
Long time back I had trouble with a clutch, did not want to clear and shudder at times, after stripping the gear box and putting back together, same as, then I noticed that the release bearing had been pushed on its holder a little bit off straight, pushed it on and good to go.

lookoutas, Oct 3, 7:14pm
Have you sat down with Sam to talk about it?

intrade, Oct 5, 9:29am
id mount a gopro under there to film what the gearbox shaft and axle are doing during the shudder event.

mrfxit, Oct 5, 11:50am
Yea, he's had it back in for the day just after it started doing that & he's happy with his workmanship

mrfxit, Oct 5, 11:50am
Mmm yea should have a spare smart ph here somewhere I can risk

mrfxit, Mar 20, 6:32pm
95 Nissan Caravan (rwd diesel)

New aftermarket clutch kit (complete set)
Refaced flywheel
New gearbox mount

Shudders forwards & in reverse under mid range engagement pressure.
Fine with light pressure & heavy pressure.

Didn't do it until the gearbox was reconditioned, but then again, the old box was so stuffed you couldn't hear or feel anything anyway.
Seriously . no point in turning on the radio the way it was.
But, there wasn't any shudder noticed

1st gearbox had a couple of unrelated minor issues, 2nd gear box is much better but the same shudder is there which is when the flywheel got resurfaced.

toyboy3, Mar 20, 7:25pm
Did you clean the crank and flywheel mating faces when refitting the flywheel ? Did you oil the flywheel bolt threads ? And torque the bolts up opposite each ? Or just rattle gun them up ? Were the clutch plate splines lubricated on the gearbox input shaft ?

mrfxit, Mar 20, 8:22pm
All this was done by a Pro shop about 18 months ago.
It's been an ongoing issue that some days is ok & other days not.
The whole job was done by a local well respected gearbox reconditioner
Drive shaft had also had a replacement yoke fitted.
Rear sleeve bearing replaced at the same time.

toyboy3, Mar 20, 8:25pm
So the answers to those questions are no as they employed a school leaver to install ?

skin1235, Mar 20, 8:44pm
"It's been an ongoing issue that some days is ok & other days not."

spigot bearing or bush worn, allows the clutch plate to off center

skin1235, Mar 20, 8:49pm
they're only a 20 minute job to drop the box dave, when you do drop it , before you pull the clutch cover use a depth gauge and check the thrust bearing mating surface on the cover is even - they are adjustable I think
although a lot of nissan of that era had the thrust bearing simple press on the fingers of the pressure ring

panicky, Mar 20, 8:50pm
I have seen a worn end of the input shaft that goes into the bush cause a similar issue.

mrfxit, Mar 20, 9:24pm
LOL nope.
Reputable gearbox repairer that sold his main business many years ago.
Just running a small shop now

mojo49, Mar 20, 9:31pm
Had something similar few years ago. It turned out to be a loose engine mount and nothing to do with the clutch. Once the mount was tightened problem solved.

intrade, Mar 20, 10:18pm
It's intermittent. So you got to look at what can give intermittent symptoms. Some good points I usually find any fault of mechanical nature and there is some good tips to check already posted
I'd also check diff fluid and backlash. Tick off what's ok easy stuff first.

marte, Mar 20, 11:16pm
I had that happen on my Cortina, I found that out on the road when driving, if I pushed the clutch pedal in and out, the vibration changed between pushes sometimes.
But, the vibration was with the clutch pedal out and driving, and sometimes pushing the pedal made no difference.

Basically it gave the shaft a chance to centre itself sometimes.

mrfxit, Mar 21, 6:56am
Yea been wondering about that

bjmh, Mar 21, 9:01am
Has it got fluid filled engine mounts ?

bwg11, Mar 21, 9:10am
This is where I would be looking.

the-lada-dude, Mar 21, 10:23am
has it a cable operated .