Things dropped on the road.

Page 1 / 2
yz490, Jul 31, 11:08pm
Heading home about 4-30pm just out of city limits, well still 70kph [Palmy], had lights on as most everyone did as was quite murky. Car flashed me at the same instant i saw something in the middle of my lane. Truck was stopped further up so pulled alongside the object half in the other lane as wife went to pick it up--god i can't lift 'that'! . Put Hazards on, had trailer on with a $1 washing machine [well it was cheap lol]. Truck guy ran back & said it's not mine but i know what it is--said something to do with a low loader trailer--said he just managed to dodge it. Thought--in a fleeting moment it looked about the size of an old 1 gallon petrol tin but something on top & slot in the side--might be wrong but looked pretty heavy when the guy picked it up for sure. My point being--it worries the hell out of me when things like that end up on the road because if a bike m/bike or scooter hit it then that'd be it--no chance at all. Plus it'd rip the bum outa ya car for sure. Sorry for the essay but often pick things up off the road.

paul861, Aug 1, 6:08am
picked up all sorts here , a bale of pink batts, various tools, a 30 meter extention cord with one plug worn off and I wouldn't mind a crate of beer for every broken tie down ive come across. thing that annoys me is the amount of fast food wrappers and beer bottles/cans. (I have about 2 km of road frontage)

the-lada-dude, Aug 1, 7:44am
" thing that annoys me is the amount of beer bottles/cans. " . and there aways empty LOL

I generally wont stop to retrieve anything dropped on the road, just too busy these days with fast traffic .

cjohnw, Aug 1, 8:59am
Endless flags off outboard motor props litter the motorway around us.

A bit of a strong breeze and some of them end up blowing across the lanes - we even had one wrapped around a wing mirror once.

Dunno what is so hard about tying it on properly.

3tomany, Aug 1, 9:12am
Try driving south of whangarei at the mo. Some idiot stuck road markers all the way from oakleigh to whangas along the center line so you can not overtake. Problem is they are getting broken daily and lying all over the road. It is like driving a slalom course some times.

gamefisher, Aug 1, 10:13am
Noticed that last weekend al there Thursday night by Monday 25%broken off

desmodave, Aug 1, 10:55am
Add bloody disposable coffee cups , lazy fuckers .

3tomany, Aug 1, 12:45pm
Would not like one to be thrown at the windscreen in the dark that is for sure. Whoever thought it was a good idea needs to find a new career.

gunhand, Aug 1, 7:45pm
shoes.
pink bats
gloves
underwear, both sexes
cups
cans
bottles
fast food wrappers
phones
tie downs
baleage wrap
cardboard
plastics
knives
syringes
laptop
car parts
mattresses
pillows
furniture
bolts
wood
firewood
tyres
wheels
tv
caps
clothes
sun glasses
tools
dead animals, deliberate
chain
buckets
sacks
drug utensils
condoms
CDs
fridge
wheel nuts
hi vis gear
flags
pills
carpet
wool fadges
bags
money
credit cards
licenses
fag packets
lighters
trailer sides and gates
toys
sex toys
Tarps
cargo net. Good score that one, heavy duty.
hammer
sheets
catheter

AND USED DIAPERS
Humans are disgusting creatures.
Just some of what I have seen on my daily travels around the south.
Bout only thing I havent seen or found is a dead human body. give it time.

nzdoug, Aug 1, 7:48pm
Same w beaches.
THX OP for doing something.
Take care.

ambo11, Aug 1, 8:50pm
Round our area its mainly truck dunnage in the forms of great blocks of wood waiting to kill a motorcyclist, or truck tyres which have shredded. occasionally see tie down ratchets, and I have picked up an almost new Estwing hammer, and a few spanners over the years.

r.g.nixon, Aug 1, 9:02pm
A rabbit. Too mashed to take for food.

socram, Aug 1, 9:52pm
Not sure what I hit on the Waikato expressway, a while back, but it wrecked a fairly low mileage runflat tyre. Problem was that by then, the replacements were directional so I had to buy two!

Fast food wrappers at the Bombays early on a Saturday and Sunday morning , when there are a dozen waste bins within 5 metres of almost every car space. Fine the sods $500. Works well enough in Singapore.

yz490, Aug 2, 12:29am
THX OP for doing something.
Take care.

nzdoug (158 158 positive feedback) 7:48 pm, Wed 1 Aug #10
Yep, just frieks me from bike point of view as doesn't take much to bring a bike down. One of my kids rides a Kawy 300 twin in Auckland so i worry every day. Few years ago, had trailer on, & there was a couch in the highway near our corner. Scooped it up & set off after the culprit who was stopped a mile or so up ahead by which time he'd realised things were disappearing. Was young guys moving flats. Had a large tarp over it which was flapping like a flag in the wind. Was funny at the time, but once again, it could be serious.

marmar1, Aug 2, 5:42am
Found a $50 once, not all stuff you find is bad.

trogedon, Aug 2, 7:22am
Potholes - which I complain to the council about.

poppy62, Aug 2, 9:31am
Was going to work one morning many decades ago on the SW motorway and a Biker goes past me and when he gets 100m ahead I saw somethings fall from his Jacket. I slowed down and couldn't get out of my Mini Ute quick enough. I picked up a wad of $20 notes and as I scrambled around another guy had pulled up and nabbed a $20 buck note. I stuffed it all in my pocket until I got home, just gave it all to my Mrs and she counted out $620. I guess there 's money in drugs! Yeah i tried to find the biker but gave up after 10 seconds.

poppy62, Aug 2, 9:43am
Bout only thing I havent seen or found is a dead human body. give it time.

Edited by gunhand at 7:56 pm, Wed 1 Aug

gunhand (323 323 positive feedback) 7:45 pm, Wed 1 Aug #9

Funny thing is that about 3 years ago I notice a BMW 320 ('96) model parked on the shoulder between my house and the neighbours. Contractors were making hay bales in the surrounding farm land and i assumed it belonged to them. On the 3rd day it was still there and unmoved. So I decided to have a peek at it. There was a guy lying on the back seat went back home and told the Mrs to call the Cops, poor sod was dead. Apparently had a diabetic attack and was out of insulin although the cops found a script waiting to be filled. Two strange things though, the neighbour had mowed the grass strip the day before beside the car and had had a quick glance in the front but never looked in the back. The other oddity was I rang one of my sons about a battery and happened to mention my surprising find. He was telling his work mates about it and it turns out the young apprentice was the nephew on the deceased guy.

trogedon, Aug 2, 10:34am
10 seconds too long!

yz490, Aug 2, 11:29am
Just to keep it going a bit longer--Fly Tipping is rife down our no-exit road but no doubt the same on all country roads. Damn big old TV's in the drain blocking the pipe under entrance to land etc. About a years worth of beer & coke type cans in a broken fadge bag. We [or i] clean it up if the council don't respond after a few days if it's a minor easy handled load, but some are beyond a joke, couches & big stuff! , not in the drain just on the side of the road. Picked up a large computer screen on the highway lying flat on its back & not very visible till last second. Apart from road rash--it still worked. Had no base [feet] so was probably heading to be dumped.

apollo11, Aug 2, 1:50pm
I still have the Stanley 8m tape measure I found 25 years ago, must have fallen off a builder's ute.

flack88, Aug 2, 1:57pm
Few years back an Amourguard van dropped a whole heapo money on the Hunderlees most was recovered these tourists handed in 60k and got a big mac voucher,you would have to think hard been bank money knowing what a pack of C!@#ts they are.

richardmayes, Aug 2, 2:43pm
I hit a big lump of firewood on the road at MacKay's crossing recently. Big Mercedes courier van in front of me straddled it, but I had a bit less clearance than him in the Corolla.

I usually follow people at least 3 seconds behind, but when the block of wood appeared under the van in front of me that was nowhere near enough time for me to think of an evasive maneuver and execute it, so straight over the block of wood I went.

(Thought it had fractured one of the engine mounts, from the rattles and clonks that started after the impact. Turned out it had just broken the exhaust pipe off the flange where it joins the manifold.)

kazbanz, Aug 2, 3:21pm
In a "that explains everything" moment I have to tell you guys my story.
As a young fella back in "t awd country" cars were for the rich fellas. Blue collar guys like my dad had bikes. With family you bolted a sidecar on the side.
Dad has a Squire chair on the side of his Beezer gold flash.
I was always in the front seat and lil sis in the back.
So going round a roundabout on what would be the M1 and I leaned on the door.-promptly fell out of the sidecar at 40mph.
Aparently I got up off the road and was running after dad/mum down the motorway. -Dad says he looked in the bike mirror and had to think twice if he should stop or just carry on riding.

poppy62, Aug 2, 8:11pm
Wife went for her morning walk ( some years back) around the block 5kms. Came back with a real nice aluminium step ladder on her shoulder found it in the roadside drain. Has been used lots since.