Opinions on Toyota Harrier/Lexus RX 2004-09

billyfieldman, Jul 17, 6:12pm
Hi Bazfan, which one did you finally opted for?

bazfan, Jul 17, 9:02pm
None of them. I liked the way the CRV drove but just couldn’t get into the way it looked- too much like a soccer mum car. The 2.4 Harriers were ok but expensive for what you get and the tech in them hasn’t changed much from 2004. I ended up getting a 2009 Mazda 6 instead, much newer tech and nicer to drive and also under $10k.

bazfan, Jul 23, 9:42am
Hi Guys

What are these like in terms of reliability, parts and performance. Currently looking at the 2.4 ones- these look like FWD only? They seem to be better value than a Rav and higher spec too.

So far I have narrowed car choices down to 2006-09 CRV sport and the Harrier/Lexus. Like the look of the Harrier Lexus better but the performance of the 2.4 CRV is better than the 2.4 Harrier from the two cars I test drove

vtecintegra, Jul 23, 10:00am
You want to try the 3.5l V6 - they aren't much more expensive to buy or run. The Hybrid is worth a look too if you're mostly around town as it adds some much needed torque at low speeds

That aside the model ran for an extremely long time - what was high tech in 2003 was not so much 6 or 7 years later

toenail, Jul 23, 12:54pm
avoid the 2.4L engine at all costs.

magrador, Jul 23, 1:58pm
What about the older hybrids?

kazbanz, Jul 23, 2:06pm
IMO you need to take another 2.4 for a drive.They should be on par with the CRV.But I also agree the 3.5 is much nicer.

toenail, Jul 23, 2:37pm
The RX400h hybrid is not a problem, it uses a fairly old but tried 3.3L v6 which the design dates back to 1997. The 3.3L was used in the 2004 Lexus ES330. It is belt driven, so if you probably have to change it if it hasn't already.

The thing to watch out for is the engine oil cooler pipe, can crack and leak.

The 2.4L engine are now starting to have oil consumption problems, that's why I'd avoid it.

magrador, Jul 23, 5:17pm
Thanks. If I could buy an auto hybrid that I knew would be reliable, I'd be in. Know nothing about what to look for in one.
Are older (say 2007-08) hybrids good?
One suggestion was a Toyota Kluger, but it's a beefy beast. I'm not sure about it. I do want practical and reliable; looks would be good.

bazfan, Nov 20, 10:09pm
Is the 2.4 engine really that bad? Its in the Camry and Rav4 too right and these cars have been sold in huge volumes and are highly used in fleet vehicles