ZD30 diesel

flack88, Mar 13, 2:02pm
x1
Does anyone know where the TDC marks are on crankshaft pulley,got notches for crank sensor but cant see TDC marks?There a pig of a motor see why so many on here broken it in a 2000 terrano intercooled.thanks

tweake, Mar 13, 5:26pm
there is no tdc marks afaik.
crankshaft key should be on the top and have an A on the gear which match the two A on the idler gear.

i suggest get a copy of the manual, there a few tricks involved.
hope like hell you have locked the scissor gear.

flack88, Mar 13, 5:34pm
Ok ,got the chain marks lined up,the injector pump and crank gear,do you mean on the camshafts>?

tweake, Mar 13, 7:25pm
camshafts? not sure what your on about there.

engine needs to be cyl no1 at TDC.
crankshaft key up right, then match the letters on the gears.
you also have the two balance shafts with their gears and letters to match.

idler gear A, which connects to the crank shaft, is the scissor gear and must have the retaining bolts installed in it BEFORE removing it.
if you have not done so you will need to buy a new one as afaik you can't get those scissor gears back together correctly.

with camshafts watch the torque settings on the bolts holding the gears on. people have had the gears come off due to not being fitted correctly.

gph1961, Mar 13, 7:47pm
save yourself time money and hand wringing tow it to the knackers yard

flack88, Mar 14, 9:24am
Ok I dyslexus I learn backwards!Its not mine its mates the oil nice grey the intercooler full of oil,and no compression!was taking head off.maybe put a td27t in it?!

andy61, Mar 14, 10:20am
Very common conversion ,try the 3.2 diesel(cant remember the engine code), but can be hard to get that motor sometimes.

flack88, Mar 14, 10:35am
Qd32,we got one in an Elgrand ,better than zd30 pos!The early zd looks quite different from the late ones in utes.

tweake, Mar 14, 7:23pm
see if the pistons have holes in them.
there is a few different issues with those zd30's. basically a mismatched turbo and a crappy control system. cause high egt and cracks head and pistons.
qd32t is the engine you want rather than the qd32. there was a crowd that did a lot of conversions.

theres something like 5 different zd30's depending on the vehicle.
the navara utes had normal turbo and less power so it didn't suffer quite the same problems as the terrano. not directly interchangeable as nissan for some completely mental reason has made them with different blocks.

xs1100, Mar 16, 6:43pm
its the early zds that are the problem up to about 2003 after that they sorted it

tweake, Mar 16, 6:54pm
early ZD30 had the most problems. but they never really did get it sorted.
i think its a case of multiple issues. early ones may have had a single major issue which got fixed, but the remaining smaller issues still caused failures in the later ones.

btw we are only talking the non common rail zd30.
the common rail zd30 is a different beast.

flack88, Aug 24, 1:04pm
Finally got this motor back together,head shop said head not cracked,went to spin it over no go,pulled front cover off again and rocker cover,undid chain drive sprocket and it was broken in the centre!dowel on inlet cam worn off as well,timing had slipped,had done up to spec torque,Nissan have none anywhere in NZ,would there be anyone in Auckland that sells them new?Rang every wrecker in CHCH they said common problem.thanks for any info.

gph1961, Aug 24, 5:43pm
is it too late to tow it to knackers yard?

snoopy221, Aug 24, 5:55pm
Well nothing to stop ya re-aligning the gear with the cam and redrilling it 180 degrees opposite and fitting a new dowel-it's been done before

tweake, Aug 24, 6:17pm
i would try an engineering shop.
might be able to replace the pin, even fit a bigger one in.
i have heard they are an expensive item to replace.

flack88, Oct 17, 11:07am
Yeah ok good idea I was I little over the pos but gone to far now to give up,it broken the piece that goes up into the cam gear on the sprocket as well?!