Removing Speed Limiter on Japanese Import.

motig, Sep 1, 10:29pm
I presume that its possible to derestrict japanese imports such as the Nissan 370 GT Skyline, Toyota Blade 3.5 etc. Is it relatively easy and inexpensive? And would the 180k speedo still be OK. Just seems pointless otherwise not being able to unleash all the power (on a closed circuit of course).

saxman99, Sep 2, 12:25am
In days gone by it was as easy as removing a screw on the rear of the cluster. Not sure if some cars still have this feature, it's more likely to require poking about with the ecu programming these days or perhaps changing out a chip. Some cars use gps to determine if they are on a track and race mode becomes available automatically.

desmodave, Sep 2, 1:45am
Contact Rapid Performance in Timaru , looks like your handy to them

motig, Sep 2, 6:41am
Thanks desmodave, just what I was looking for.

martin11, Sep 2, 7:56am
The screw was for the seep warning not the limiter My Mazda had one are 105kph and once we removed the screw it did not scream anymore at that speed . It was not a limiter .

kazbanz, Sep 2, 2:32pm
I remember watching Clarkson being taken away to hospital because the GPS in skylines could tell you were on a Jap racetrack So that suggests that theres a way it can be done. When I was racing 400cc jap import bikes you could buy a "cheater box" that convinced the ecu that you were going slower than 190km/h

sw20, Sep 2, 8:24pm

kazbanz, Sep 3, 10:13am
THATS the thingh ^^^^^

bigfatmat1, Sep 3, 4:28pm
Can also be changed with the right scantool by changing the coding of the ecm as simple as a drop down box

monsieurl, Sep 3, 5:02pm
If you know what you are doing flash the ECU or visit a turbo/tuning shop, good guys would charge an hours labour or do it for free if they're not busy.

sw20, Sep 3, 5:23pm
Unless it's a Toyota. Their ECUs have always been a closed shop.

bigfatmat1, Sep 3, 5:29pm
I dont have access to techstream only consult but all modern ecms are coded I cannot see why toyota would be different not saying you are wrong btw if they werent it would make changing settings a nightmare. how the hell are you meant to change a tyre size or change a option?

daz59, Oct 7, 10:52am
x1
I remember in my old R32 skyline you could cut one of the wires running into the ecu and that removed the speed limiter.