Road works

Page 2 / 3
kerryalan, Jan 20, 2:20pm
Would that have been a Honda Accord. We had it happen a number of times Reversing did not always work. Also had a small stone jammed in one of the rear springs that "graunched" every time we went over a bump.

martin11, Jan 20, 2:42pm
So what is the perfect road service ?

skull, Jan 20, 2:54pm
Perfect road surfaces are only available in Switzerland and can only be seen with the aid of a 300$ torch

tygertung, Jan 20, 2:57pm
I assume they would prefer Asphalt or Bitumen, however it is about 10 times the price, so there will need to be a significant increase in taxes to pay for it if every road in New Zealand is to be Ashphalted.

"Asphalt cost $47.61 a square metre, while grade 4 chip seal cost $4.09 for the same area, and grade 4 and 6 chip seal cost $5.27 for the same area."

https://www.stuff.co.nz/marlborough-express/news/10637108/Low-traffic-roads-to-be-chipsealed

martin11, Jan 20, 3:07pm
Prices from over 6 years ago !

tygertung, Jan 20, 3:11pm
Maybe they have gone down? Please see if you can find a more recent price list.

joanie32, Jan 20, 3:22pm
So

After queuing for 20 minutes, when the driver finally reached the roadworks they should decide the surface is likely to cause damage to their vehicle or or not.

If they decide it is not safe, they should stop the car immediately and stop all traffic on state highway 27 in both directions

And the average motorist is of course completely qualified to make this judgment call.

I think not.

toyboy3, Jan 20, 4:05pm
Don’t need to remove the wheel and or rotor , just push a screwdriver in through the holes in the wheel and push the backing plate then the stone drops out

annie17111, Jan 20, 4:07pm
I go thru plenty of road works and haven't had an issue with stones for years. The slower you go, the less stones flick up so if you stick to the 30kmph limit normally it's fine.

kazbanz, Jan 20, 4:09pm
if you knew there was an alternative route with no chance of damage why wouldn't you u turn and use it? she did have 20 minutes to figure that out

joanie32, Jan 20, 4:18pm
Road cones

Only one lane open

I thought that would have been obvious

You have had several hours to figure that out.

john1623, Jan 20, 4:22pm
Mainly to do with the speed that you travel through roadworks,Try sticking to or below the posted speed.

joanie32, Jan 20, 4:22pm
That’s what I’ve been doing for many years

Didn’t work on this occasion

You do realise not all cars are the same don’t you?

tweake, Jan 20, 6:01pm
but hotmix last substantial longer and over its lifespan its actually cheaper.
however it depends on how much traffic uses it. back roads where there is little traffic chip seal is fine.

but there is a few catches. the govt is simply to tight to spend the money upfront. thats no1 reason for chips seal, even tho its more expensive over the long term.

the other is installation issues. chips seal uses an emulsion which can be tricky to get right. this is one of the reasons we get so many sealing failures.
we had a bit done locally and they resealed it 3 times, which all failed, and finally gave up and hot mixed it. its now the only decent bit of road around.

tygertung, Jan 21, 8:12am
Do you know any nations where they exclusively use the "hotmix"

bill-robinson, Jan 21, 9:05am
they certainly use a lot of hotmix in the uk. mainly on 'A' roads and motorways. seems to work very well but motorways only last 15 years before needing total replacement.

yz490, Jan 22, 12:34pm
If you had full cover insurance would 'that' cover the repair cost. Excess would be more i guess. Our road got done with that coarse chip [way overdone, & in the drive to the gate for free which was nice] but car picked up heaps just idling up the road [clatter clatter] & was unuseable with screeching so had to do mine twice after two different road repairs, one repair in town. They swept the loose stuff off our road a few days later--shoulda stayed home till then lol.

differentthings, Jan 22, 5:09pm
lol are you for real?.

tweake, Jan 22, 6:58pm
good question, i would have to go ask a mate who is in the trade.
i suspect that some arab countries would.

likit, Jan 22, 11:27pm
Was she doing the posted speed limit?

joanie32, Jan 23, 7:10am
No

Much slower

Walking speed I’m told.

joanie32, Jan 23, 7:20am
I’ve heard of a lot more complaints about this piece of roadworks now.

There’s always some roadworks going on that doesn’t seem to cause any trouble, but this particular spot seems to have been an issue

I met a council bloke this week for something unrelated who was aware of the issue too.

tweake, Jan 24, 9:05pm
i remembered to ask a mate about that.
apparently most of UK, europe and middle east all use hotmix.
he said its really only 3rd world countries where there is no hotmix plants available that do spray and chip.

the issues with spray and chip is its water based (emulsion) and it takes a few days to dry if the weather is right. a real problem around here with our humidity and changeable weather.
traffic has to be kept at slow speed for those few days.
they use far to much chip which stops the bottom layer of chip sticking. they can use a roller to help with that but they often run it to fast so it doesn't work properly.

laurelanne, Jan 24, 9:21pm
I was told that our road foundations aren't stable enough for hot mix. The system we use, if done properly has a bit of flex in it, which suits our cheaper foundations.

tygertung, Jan 25, 7:48am
We do use hotmix here, just not for all situations, although it would be nicer on the open road due to less road noise.