Road works

Page 1 / 3
joanie32, Jan 19, 8:49pm
My wife turned up on Sunday after a trip to Auckland with stones jammed in the brakes of her car from going through a lot of roadworks on SH27

There was no easy way to get the stones out from the rear, so I had to take it to my local garage, who removed rear wheels,, disc and callipers and found tiny stones wedged in the backing plates.

Mechanic said he had done three others today and yesterday.

I’ve got a cobber that had same issue, but managed to sort himself.

How can the roading contractor do this to people’s cars?

There was no option given to avoid it, they must know this costs people to get fixed

I’m thinking of sending them the invoice.

Thoughts?

tigertim20, Jan 19, 8:54pm
How do you propose they create and repair roads exactly?

cabrio1, Jan 19, 8:55pm
Small beans,
Large potholes left by our last "road improvement" buckled two of my wheels.
$1850 plus time involved.
No chance of recompense.

joanie32, Jan 19, 8:55pm
In a way that doesn’t cause damage to other people’s property.

joanie32, Jan 19, 8:56pm
Did you try to get compensation?

intrade, Jan 19, 8:57pm
the stones can f. k the abs reluctor and sensor also. like on my vw for example

tweake, Jan 19, 9:01pm
not sure these days but years ago you used to be able to bill the council for damages done to cars by road works. usually just tires but they would only pay % based on wear and had to take them to council office. which made it uneconomic to bother with.
tho i did not hear what happened after a roading crew dragged a couple of cars with the trucks through the road works ripping off brake lines etc.

you can try ltsa, tho i think i know what they will say.

laurelanne, Jan 19, 9:02pm
I buckled a mag thirty years ago. I considered it my own fault for not being sharp enough. I remember thinking, shit , I'm starting to loose it.

rectech, Jan 19, 9:03pm
The open style mag wheels which leave brake calipers and discs exposed probably make this problem worse. I am amazed when these are fitted to "off road" type suv

tweake, Jan 19, 9:05pm
its not the road works itself. its because the idiot tarseal crews use about 100x the amount of chip thats actually required which goes everywhere. that also why the seal peals off very very quickly.

tony9, Jan 19, 9:17pm
Insurance claim.

sw20, Jan 19, 10:34pm
Drive car in reverse swiftly on an empty street. Jam on brakes hard. Stones should pop out.

nzmax, Jan 19, 11:20pm
Yet people live and drive on shingle roads everyday, including my parents until recently with mum driving the road daily, and stones getting jammed in the brakes or any other mechanical part under the car didnt seem to be a problem. A trip to the mechanic to have them removed every week would have cost a fortune over a year.

s_nz, Jan 19, 11:51pm
I think the stone sizes on gravel roads are a lot bigger than what is used in chip sealing.

redhead18, Jan 20, 1:24am
Wrong thread title.
Should SIMPLY be later model vehicles and problems.
Drive any standard vangaurd
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Standard_Vanguard Or maybe an old . model t https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ford_Model_T
mmkay.
P.S.

Colors
By 1918, half of all the cars in the U.S. were Model Ts. In his autobiography, Ford reported that in 1909 he told his management team, "Any customer can have a car painted any color that he wants so long as it is black."[35]

However, in the first years of production from 1908 to 1913, the Model T was not available in black[36] but rather only gray, green, blue, and red. Green was available for the touring cars, town cars, coupes, and Landaulets. Gray was only available for the town cars, and red only for the touring cars. By 1912, all cars were being painted midnight blue with black fenders. Only in 1914 was the "any color so long as it is black" policy finally implemented. It is often stated Ford suggested the use of black from 1914 to 1925 due to the low cost, durability, and faster drying time of black paint in that era. Paint choices in the American automotive industry, as well as in others (including locomotives, furniture, bicycles, and the rapidly expanding field of electrical appliances), were shaped by the development of the chemical industry. These included the disruption of dye sources during World War I and the advent, in the mid-1920s, of new nitrocellulose lacquers that were faster-drying and more scratch-resistant, and obviated the need for multiple coats;[37]:261–301 understanding the choice of paints for the Model T era and the years immediately following requires an understanding of the contemporary chemical industry.[37]

During the lifetime production of the Model T, over 30 types of black paint were used on various parts of the car.[36] These were formulated to satisfy the different means of applying the paint to the various parts, and had distinct drying times, depending on the part, paint, and method of drying.

joanie32, Jan 20, 8:31am
This particular car does go on gravel roads without a problem.

The issue is the tiny (approx 5-8mm) chip that is covered in tar seal

They have stuck under the car, I even found them glued to the underside of the running board, and stuck to wheel rims.

Letting cars of any description drive over this is ridiculous.

tygertung, Jan 20, 10:06am
They should close the road completely until the tar has cooled and the roads have been swept.

sandypheet, Jan 20, 10:18am
Cant be serious can you? Ever noticed the speed restrictions around road works/ sealing operations.

joanie32, Jan 20, 10:28am
In this case they could have done a very easy detour.

Unless you live at one of the few houses beside the road works, there was no need at all to be driving on the road.

intrade, Jan 20, 10:58am
They should use proper road surface not This marmite-veggimix concoction sprinkled with rocks.

wind.turbine, Jan 20, 11:06am
ok genius, if a detour was so easy then why did wifie not just choose to detour voluntarily to avoid such an inconvenience?

As also said above, reverse with brakes on and they pop right out

kazbanz, Jan 20, 11:11am
So that begs the question . Why did she drive on it where there was an option to detour?

joanie32, Jan 20, 11:22am
The road works were not visible or sign posted where the detour could have started.

Plus she doesn’t know the area very well.

Which begs the question

Why was a detour not put in place?

joanie32, Jan 20, 11:25am
I had tried this

I also removed the wheel

Tiny stones had gone past the disc and got trapped between the handbrake drum and backing plate.

The disc had to be removed.

All done without any name calling I might add.

tygertung, Jan 20, 2:15pm
No of course not. The driver needs to assess whether the road is suitable for driving the vehicle down. It is their responsibility to drive safely and in a fashion which won't damage their vehicle if they don't want it damaged.

Can't be completely closing roads all the time.