Head on crashes Electric cars

Page 2 / 2
s_nz, Apr 9, 7:19pm
250kg is significant (18.5% heavier than say mazda 3 on your numbers), but not massive. Means a Nissan leaf's kerb weight is roughly the same as a mazda 6, despite the mazda 6 being a class above.

bryalea, Apr 9, 7:26pm
Just as well the owner felt the smoke smell and got out!

casper35, Apr 9, 11:49pm
When they catch fire they burn for ages. You need tanker loads of water to cool them and put them out.

gunna-1, Apr 10, 12:04am
Yea before the central locking wires melt and kicked in, if that happened it would have been all on.

toenail, Apr 10, 11:44am
yes when you crash you'll instantly melt into jelly.

laurelanne, May 2, 7:35pm
It appears one has gone up in smoke in Nelson. The odds don't look good considering the owners of electric are probably far more careful than your average car owner.

loud_37, May 2, 7:43pm
If something did go wrong while its parked in the garage charging, the house would be a gonna as its sounds like you just have to wait till its burnt itself out.

intrade, May 2, 7:45pm
Not quite but it wont be long if you dont get out as there is no extinguishing a lithium battery fire.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=of01p0Q-yUM

intrade, May 2, 7:51pm
General motor found the problem with the fire risk. The links on some battery are faulty from korea LG and usa Lg ones are not affected by this production fault casing fire risk.
https://www.autonews.com/regulation-safety/gm-issues-fix-fire-risk-bolts

marte, May 2, 8:57pm
I nicked a near empty fuel tank of a wrecked car that had been sitting on the tank for a few years, with a angle grinder.
It went 'Boomph' lifted the car up nearly a foot as the tank expanded into a pillow shape & blew the petrol cap into a nearby hedge.

Battery cars? Id say they are safer. The individual cells will blow their linking fuses. Even in a normal accident they will self isolate before the sirbags fully open ( i expect ) the only danger would be if the battery pack is peirced by something metal to short individual battery cells out, which in time will cause heat that will affect nearby battery cells.

Theres more danger in a petrol tank i think.

john1623, May 3, 8:24am
Best idea is not to run into each other.

bumfacingdown, May 3, 11:23am

apollo11, May 3, 11:43am
Anyone recognise what it was? Kia?

vtecintegra, May 3, 12:18pm
BMW i3 apparently.

vtecintegra, May 3, 12:21pm
I wonder if it was a pure EV or REX model? Apparently there are some fire risks on the ICE side of the REX models.

apollo11, May 3, 12:29pm
Bugger. You are ten times more likely to have your ICE car burst into flames, but there are a hell of a lot more old, badly maintained ICE cars out there than these new ev's. They really need to sort the issue of organic solvents in these batteries, even the range issue isn't as important.

martin11, May 3, 3:55pm
For best results dowsing a Li-ion fire, use a foam extinguisher, CO2, ABC dry chemical, powdered graphite, copper powder or soda (sodium carbonate) as you would extinguish other combustible fires. Reserve the Class D extinguishers for lithium-metal fires only.

nesta129, Aug 13, 1:55am
like the short guy from the grand tour crashed the EV Rimac. fire department put the fire out.Next day,the car was on fire again.