Advice RE price negotiation on used cars

Page 1 / 2
dnros, Dec 28, 11:30am
Hi hoping for some advice from you please. Can you/how do you get money off the sticker price at a car yard. looking at a 2019 Nissan X trail ST 7 seater thats at Giltrap for 29,800. Thanks so much.

kazbanz, Dec 28, 11:31am
What makes you think you can get money off the price?
Please don't think I'm being a smart alec.
Have you looked to see how other vehicles of the same age/ miles are priced ?
Is it a commonly available vehicle or are there very few available for sale ?

tgray, Dec 28, 11:32am
How much are YOU willing to pay for it? Then I can offer some advice.

dnros, Dec 28, 11:43am
kazbanz wrote:
What makes you think you can get money off the price?[/quote
Hi I don't know that you can it's just one of those things people say - which is why I'm asking.

dnros, Dec 28, 11:45am
I could literally afford 30,000 but that would completely wipe us out which I'd really rather not do so thought if it was a thing to get some % off it would really be great.

richynuts, Dec 28, 12:01pm
I see they have already reduced their price. so could be keen to move on. try 27k.

bryalea, Dec 28, 12:02pm
Does it not just come down to making an offer of what ever you consider you can really afford and then take it on the nose if they say NUP. I doubt there is a % they would or wouldn't take for it. It would totally depend on multiple issues including how long they have held it, how much it cost them, if they need the space etc.

dnros, Dec 28, 12:05pm
Thanks very much.

msigg, Dec 28, 12:05pm
Just go and talk to them, go for a test drive, give them your email and phone number and tell them your top price and see what happens, end of the month coming up so maybe good time for you as they will want to meet budget.No harm in trying.

dnros, Dec 28, 12:05pm
Thanks very much

bwg11, Dec 28, 12:43pm
I certainly agree with making an offer below asking price, but in years of negotiating vehicle, property and livestock prices, have had more success by making the offer a here and now offer not available tomorrow or in the future. Leaving an open offer is really just giving the seller a backstop price to try and better.

justinian1, Dec 28, 12:44pm
When I bought a couple of years ago I indicated that I was serious about buying a particular car and asked if the stickered price was the best they could do. The guy said he had to talk to his boss about it, but they did end up dropping the price by $1,500 and they threw in some other stuff as well. This was for an older model that they were asking about $12k for.

intrade, Dec 28, 2:17pm
Right now is a bad time to buy a brand new vehicle because no new stock is getting here. So they would want as much as possible for the stock at hand.
if the production ramps up and no one buys any new cars then all the old stock will be flogged at dumping prices to get the old stock off the factory.
However they also may just register for receivership and then non of the old stock needs to make room for new production models. with The crownvirus . could go either way.

stevo2, Dec 28, 2:39pm
Ok, I have traded several cars at 2 to 6 years old. The dealer normally adds around $5k plus any refurbishment costs to my trade in.
They should be expected to make $3k to $3.5k as a margin in my opinion.

kazbanz, Dec 28, 3:54pm
Sorry you are missing my point.
On what basis have you concluded that there is more discount available?
What research have you carried out on the prices ?
How does that vehicle stack up price wise compared to others currently for sale?
Im not for a second saying don't make an offer lower than asking price. But I AM saying to do your groundwork first so you are going in with actual knowledge not a vague--ohh I want a discount.
You may find that an offer to buy $2000 below their asking is actually reasonable. equally you might find the car literally is the cheapest in the country for that make/model

axelvonduisberg, Dec 28, 4:36pm
I understand that Car Dealers make very little on the sale of NEW cars ($2000.00this is why if one takes it off the Lot and drives it for a few months and comes back to sell it you would be offered around $7000.00 less than you paid for it.
They have a greater margin on used vehicles which can provide flexibility for a deal.

john1623, Dec 28, 4:40pm
To wipe yourself out for a vehicle doesnt seem very wise when there is a ton of good vehicles around for half that price.

kazbanz, Dec 29, 11:37am
It looks like if you rule out the vehicle imported as accident damaged that the vehicle in question is one of the lowest priced examples in the country.
Theres that silver one a few dollars cheaper
keep in mind that the price for does include delivery to wellington from Auckland which is a cost of $400 to them and its a franchise dealership.
My gut feeling would be to offer $1000 below their asking price

richynuts, Dec 29, 1:12pm
$1000 off ? lol there is hundreds of x trails for sale, he should offer 27k if they so no turn around and walk. bet you he will get called back before he does 10 steps.
Btw you owe me chocolate fish.

sw20, Dec 29, 1:41pm
There are hundreds yes. However gotta compare apples with apples. There are three cheaper than the one OP is looking at. One is a private sale ex write off, one is in Timaru with more mileage and the other is at Giltraps as well with again more mileage.

In saying that it’s been for sale for over a month.

kazbanz, Dec 29, 1:53pm
Hundreds perhaps-but only three at a lower price.
The price INCLUDES delivery to wellington so the OP doesn't have that $400 expense which they would have with any of the other vehicle from outside wellington. No matter how you wrap it up the dealer has to pay that money. So another $1000 to me adds up

richynuts, Dec 29, 2:54pm
Your not a Nissan dealership, I'm sure Giltraps are doing just fine $1000 or $3000 will not make alot of difference on a 2019 car they probably sold last year and traded again this year.

toenail, Dec 29, 4:54pm
there's no point of asking a forum how much you get off a car. ask the dealership or the person selling you the car.

if there is a lot of interest in the car, the answer is likely no, if the car has been listed for months or even a year and not moving, then yes (but you need to be careful with them as buyers might have found issues with them the sales fall through).

kazbanz, Dec 29, 5:56pm
I stand by my opinion

tgray, Oct 4, 2:57pm
There is a difference in offering $1,000 less and actually paying $1000 less for it.
Why not offer $2000 less and negotiate in the middle?
The first offer you make to a car salesman is usually not accepted straight away without a bit of back and forth.