Torque experts - advice please ?

tony9, Sep 14, 5:50pm
You need to know the mass (weight) of the vehicle and the ratio between engine speed and ground speed.

For the same weight an engine with 100 torques and a ratio of 6 to one is going to pin you further back in the seat than one with 150 torques and 3 to one. Note, this is a gross simplification.

tony9, Sep 14, 5:51pm
And the V8 will always be more fun to drive than a diesel.

monaro17, Sep 14, 5:52pm
Assuming the Jeep is actually going. Even the latest models have truly horrendous levels of unreliability. FCA are consistently voted the most unreliable as well as having the dubious pleasure of having awful after sales customer service.

But no, while the diesel is a quick machine the SRT-8 models in recent years have a launch control type function where they are able to scramble to high speeds in freakishly short times. Have a nosey at YouTube, in particular the SRT Hellcat versions

intrade, Sep 14, 5:53pm
diesel will always have low down punch and diesel pumps as where petrol only slaps the piston. depending on if it has a variable gate charger diesel will have maximum punch from 1700ro$pm to 3500 rpm they are the closest to electric motor who have torque from 1 rpm onwards.

sw20, Sep 14, 5:58pm
Thought you were the talk expert Mals?

clark20, Sep 14, 6:08pm
No, because its horsepower that does it i.e. work done. Forget the torque numbers and see what 0-30km/h or 0-50km/h is, because that is the accelartion you feel.

tony9, Sep 14, 6:10pm
Unless the engineers have made a total stuff up the one with more watts per KG will always accelerate faster. At the end of the day the more HP the faster it will accelerate.

sw20, Sep 14, 6:47pm
Buy my Blade Master. It's for sale.

poppy62, Sep 14, 7:27pm
Going through "another" mid life crisis mate? Just go and get something, that is more suited to an over the hill paunchy flat lander. You've got no hills, and those CHCH birds got no class. Just get yourself a Vitz or Micra and put a Mustang/Viper badge on them and they'd be none the wiser. You may need to fit a towbar to pull the "birds".

gpg58, Sep 14, 7:32pm
Been enjoying speeding mine, now have 3 extra regos and insurances to pay.

poppy62, Sep 14, 7:33pm
Looks like you're racing through it.

gpg58, Sep 14, 7:39pm
Not sure how safe banks are now, so decided to spend half of what was left after mortgage cleared. Boys have a need for toys, and being single, nobody to complain.
But yards a bit too crowded, so think i will move boat and navara on soon.

poppy62, Sep 14, 7:45pm
Banks aren't safe "at all". We found out that they (the banks) are only liable to pay out a max of $50k per I.R.D number, confirmed by the bank Manager when questioned . So if you've got in excess of the $50k and the banks go belly up. Don't expect to get more than the $50k (if you're lucky). Took ours off investment accounts (interest bearing) and stuck it elsewhere.

gpg58, Sep 14, 7:51pm
That was what i found too, and being with ANZ (or any aussie bank) likely could be worse, should the system crash. Being in my 60's, i decided as no kids or dependants to think about, "May as well spend it"

bigfatmat1, Sep 14, 9:59pm
But the srt has launch control

poppy62, Sep 14, 11:30pm
I think you've been going through a MLC for a fair while, you just haven't acted upon it, just been threatening to with the big cubes, 0-100Kph times and some fast bike. Yes been to CHCH quite a few times. Had # 3 son down there doing some Fracking after the quake. Results didn't make for good reading. Hope you find the right Yank Tank you've been angling for since you've been on this M/B.

tamarillo, Sep 15, 7:49am
All say is mate in Auckland has the srt grand Jeep and it’s push in seat back ability is awesome. Surprises every time as it’s big tall thing so Unexpected.
But they also have challenger with same engine and that better and corners.

s_nz, Sep 15, 6:13pm
Once the car gets in the correct gear (rev's 4000 - 6500), the SRT will destroy the diesel, making roughly double the peak power of the diesel.

If you held both the diesel and petrol vehicle's in identical gear ratios the Diesel would be slightly (cira 20%) better at 1500-2000RPM. At 2500RPM the engines make the same torque / power. Anything above 2500RPM the SRT makes way more.

Of course because of the different torque curves, it is likely (I don't know for sure) that the petrol car is fitted with shorter gears or a shorter final drive. If this is the case, merely being in the same gear might not give the same RPM, Perhaps you would need to have the petrol in 4th and the diesel in 3rd to get 2000RPM at a certain speed. If the above is true (likley), the petrol car will be reving a little higher in typical situations, meaning more torque gets to the wheels than the torque curve would indicate.

In general below 2500RPM is relaxed cruising, rather than fun. Both of the jeep engines will do that duty fine. The diesel ute I learnt to drive made 66kW flat out at 4,300rpm. Both of these engines will make that much power at roughly 1,500RPM.

framtech, Sep 15, 8:51pm
Another point is the SRT will tick along at 1500 rpm and shut down 4 of the eight cylinders , I used to travel 60 klm from one town to another, in my 1987 1000cc starlet it cost 38.00 for the trip, In my 6.2 litre challenger the trip costs between 28 and 32 bucks depending on how many times I bip pass other cars. ya can't beat cubic inches and with petrol - no RUCs or endless cat problems with diesel exhaust cleaning.

s_nz, Sep 16, 8:46am
Not sure what model year you are looking at, but here is some real world data from owners of the 2014 6.4L v8:

https://www.fuelly.com/car/jeep/grand_cherokee/2014?engineconfig_id=72&bodytype_id=&submodel_id=

pheonix, Nov 19, 2:00pm
I would definitely get your Starlet looked at. The 1300 starlet is supposed to do an average of 6.2litres per 100Km. That would make a 38Km trip use 3.7litres . Either your starlet has a V8 transplant or you're paying way too much in gas