Lol good news Intrade ?

Page 2 / 2
ronaldo8, May 22, 10:33am
You took it to a halfwit, but you seem to be blaming the car.

ronaldo8, May 22, 10:34am
Say what?

ronaldo8, May 22, 10:42am
No mate, it was way more likely to crap out, even when it was new and required far more molly coddling its entire life, How much money have you spent lately on distributor caps, points, plugs, flywheel springs, carb bushings and rebuilds and new batteries because you flattened another one to the point of no return cold cranking some non starting pig on a cold morning?

I know that when I go jump in my modern ecu controlled vehicle it is going to start first key turn, with a 99.99% certainty and that I will arrive at my destination without incident. 30 years ago It was a dice roll every time. Yeah you could make it reliable enough, if you knew what you were doing and you babied it. You think Joe public all baby their vehicles?

trade4us2, May 22, 10:52am
But several auto electricians don't have any common sense. For my car's problems they said that there were no codes logged. What was the cause of that?
Easy, there was a random bad earth in the body computer, so the computer kept rebooting whenever the car went over a bump.
I managed to fix it myself in ten minutes after several years and lots of money spent on auto electricians and mechanics.
I photographed the bad solder joints and gave copies to all the mechanics involved and one thanked me because a customer had a similar problem which he could now fix.
And you don't need a new body computer. Just look at the circuit board with a magnifying glass.

easyglowcandle, May 22, 11:09am
Does that mean I only have 2 years left to go on my 2017 car with 30K on the clock, I had better grab a used EV while I still can

nice_lady, May 22, 11:13am
Well I have to admit I thought that Waikato Honda, (who did the initial scan and diagnosis), are not in my good books but calling their tech a 'halfwit' is a bit much. They provided a non definitive diagnosis and charged me an hours labour fee for that. They then quoted me $900 to replace the crankshaft sensor. They said that *Might* fix the problem but they were not certain of that.

After that Hubby took the car to intrade who also ran some scans, more thorough ones I'd say and yet still couldn't give any definitive diagnosis either.

cjohnw, May 22, 11:47am
Yep, I guess so.
My late 2018 with under 20,000km and still another 2 years factory warranty is nearing the end of its life as well.
I have been perusing the local towing companies and wreckers yards to book it in so it doesn’t just end up dead on my front lawn!
Am now looking for a 1990 Corolla, but sadly not that many still alive as well.

cjohnw, May 22, 11:52am
Ronaldo8 I think you have been proved correct.

nice_lady, May 22, 12:07pm
About what?

The 'professionals' Waikato Honda charges my nearly $140 for a diagnosis and then wanted $900 to replace the crank sensor but said that might not fix it as they were not sure.

Intrade didn't charge anything. He ran a couple of different diagnostic devices, which have more info, and yet he said he couldn't be sure either.

At that point Hubby and I made the decision not to throw $1000 more at the car to *maybe* fix it.

I don't say computer controlled modern systems are inherently bad. But the complexity of modern vehicles have indeed in some circumstances seemed to have made it more difficult and expensive to diagnose and repair.

intrade, May 22, 12:12pm
*35 it would have been 250$ to test plus what ever items to fix the found issue= unknown until you test.

nice_lady, May 22, 12:53pm
Yeah. Not worth it.

ronaldo8, May 22, 6:05pm
heh, I read that at precisely the same time as coming to that conclusion.

ronaldo8, May 22, 6:22pm
Without knowing the exact model and year most honda crank sensors are trivial to test, its a simple inductive prox sensor, you give it 12 volts and it produces a square wave on its signal pin when you turn the motor. You can do it with a multi-meter. Both of your "professionals" deserve a kick up the arse.

nice_lady, May 22, 6:34pm
Wish I'd known that. Got to wonder why Waikato Honda didn't know. Very poor.

ETA: Civic Ferio 2001.

nice_lady, May 22, 7:09pm
Actually I"m not sure now as it was over a year ago but it could have been the Cam sensor instead ?

Doesn't matter now anyway.

socram, May 23, 6:48pm
No one doubts the improvements that the computer technology has brought, but as nice_lady has pointed out, when there is a problem, it may be easily diagnosed and easily fixed, or it may not.

The older cars can be kept on the road indefinitely, but the computer cars may well die through something simple, but 'no longer available/manufactured'.

Take anything with a 'lifetime guarantee' (sic). The 'lifetime' is when the company selling it decides it will no longer support it. That applies to software as well as hardware.

serf407, May 23, 8:17pm
The chip manufacturing lines are flat out making chips for the Bit Coin mining systems.
Easy to forget the older motors from the early 1980s coughing and spluttering their way up hills on cooler mornings, until they 'warmed up'.

ronaldo8, May 23, 9:16pm

cjohnw, Aug 4, 3:57pm
Rust never sleeps.