Nah, there’ll never be driverless cars!

Page 1 / 3
cjohnw, May 3, 7:30am

tygertung, May 3, 8:05am
I would be surprised if driverless cars were not implemented.

Technology can improve quite quickly. Back in 2000 the iPhone would seem pretty out there too.

intrade, May 3, 10:34am
driverless works on controlled enviroment. Solong nothing that was not programmed ever happens.
Also without looking china is the last place to trust 1 single word they say. The solar wind generators they had claimed making power was never hooked up. was just a fake show as per standard for C.

intrade, May 3, 10:45am
its more logicall that a drone service for people be first as there is a lot less unexpected stuff in the air. Hell look at how quantum computers fail inside human brains . untill they have better then human Ai its not possible its simple straight forward logic.
and we can only hope thats never gona happen because Ai smarter then human will cull 90% humans to make the planet sustainable---- ILL BE BACk skynet will become reality. another straight forward logic fact that Ai would see and implement.

gazzat22, May 3, 10:55am
As long as all cars are driverless not just a percentage.And all non_-driverless cars are taken off the road simultaneously and replaced with driverless ones immediately.

franc123, May 3, 12:23pm
How are you going to implement that one ya reckon?

gazzat22, May 3, 1:45pm
No idea! I/ll leave that to those who are more concerned than I.What are your ideas/thoughts?

tygertung, May 3, 2:06pm
What about motorbikes, bicycles, scooters, horses, pedestrians etc.?

gazzat22, May 3, 2:47pm
What about them?

tygertung, May 3, 4:06pm
Well they can't be self driving can they? There is no way to have only self driving vehicles on the road as that is very car-centric. Cars are not the only mode of transport.

807, May 3, 10:35pm
It'll never happen in NZ in our lifetime ( if ever ) so why worry ?

tygertung, May 4, 12:25am
You might be surprised.

onl_148, May 4, 12:12pm
Just as the development of space travel etc brought about all sorts of developments / inventions etc that we all avail ourselves of in our every day life, I see the technology / AI etc developed as a result of self drive / driverless cars etc will do the same , BUT actual driverless car operating on our roads as anything other than a demo / technical curiosity is pretty slim!

tygertung, May 4, 12:48pm
How much longer are these posters who don't think we'll see driverless cars expecting to live?

tony9, May 5, 7:39pm

cjohnw, May 5, 8:21pm

ronaldo8, May 5, 10:30pm
"Solong nothing that was not programmed ever happens."

Nonsense as usual, how much AI were you aware of just 10 years ago? it seems you still have the same amount of awareness.

tony9, May 6, 9:33am
I was aware of "great developments" in AI over the past 30 years. All were going to be of great value Real Soon Now.

More recently AI is losing focus as it is becoming clear that it is anything but Artificial Intelligence, rather it is attempt at machine learnings from historical artifacts, many of which are garbage.

Just a small example. https://www.cio.com/article/3586802/5-famous-analytics-and-ai-disasters.html

scuba, May 6, 3:24pm
All of those examples come from poor programming input so human error .

ronaldo8, May 7, 12:27am
five examples of failed projects from someone that opened the piece he wrote with

"Insights from data and machine learning algorithms can be invaluable"

Ha, and your point was?

tygertung, May 7, 8:30am
I can't see how it isn't going to happen.

bill-robinson, May 7, 8:43am
what will your other half do? shouting instructions at you will not change the way she wants. womens lib will stop driverless cars.

apollo11, May 7, 9:26am
Sure, bill.

bill-robinson, May 7, 11:02am
i forgot you,who does not have, and would be incapable of keeping, a second half. sorry.

apollo11, May 7, 11:33am
Sorry to let you know that I have been married for 20 years bill, and that I have even procreated. But it sounds like you have no idea of what a happy marriage is, if your wife shouts at you as you drive.