Nah, there’ll never be driverless cars!

Page 3 / 3
bitsnpieces2020, May 11, 9:20pm
Even fewer go into the sky without a pilot.

bill-robinson, May 12, 7:34am
those that do fall are due to control failure which is done by? and they want you to believe that a driverless car is safe with all sorts of unexpected things also around. i do wonder about these scientists and boffins.

apollo11, May 12, 7:58am
You are right. Driverless cars won't be 100% safe. They will be safer than human drivers by factor of ten, but who wants to trust their life to an extremely complicated device every time they go for a drive?

tygertung, May 12, 9:42am
The control failure is done by the pilot in most accidents.

The systems are very reliable these days. The systems are so reliable in fact that they rarely fail, even when the maintenance is poor.

I practised as an aircraft engineer in an engine overhaul shop for 16 or so years (I am working as a full time parent now as my wife wanted to go back to work and I wanted a change), and I saw stuff which we would consider real dodgy come in from overseas, and it didn't blow up.

bill-robinson, May 12, 11:18am
control system falure is instigated by the fly by wire system which cannot decide what to do. pilot might be hands on at the time of impact but a system failure put him/her there. iam also an engine man worked my way into FI engine maintainance then went on to running F1 cars just before the computer take over. saw a lot of dodgy stuff with the cars and spoke to several designers who happily said they would love to get rid of the driver who caused most of the problems, followed up by that will never happen as the public like to see crashes and people getting injured,

intrade, May 18, 1:47pm

apollo11, May 18, 2:58pm
These systems have millions of lines of code and sometimes not even the programmers know what might go wrong, and how to fix it when it does. When AI starts to write it's own code, that's when things will get interesting.

tygertung, Aug 7, 2:48pm
Rest assured, fly by wire is a mature technology and much more reliable than human pilots.