Toyota blade

xs1100, Aug 24, 4:37pm
master. how hard is it to put a stereo into one. mates looking at 1 and been told $700, i say no way with a plug n play these days an hour tops

cjohnw, Aug 24, 4:54pm
Depends what he wants I guess.
I put a Kenwood system in my daughters Blade, but it was a system that fitted exact size, was able to use the steering wheel controls, reversing camera, touchscreen etc.
That was about $1200, with new speakers.
About 6 years ago from memory.

sw20, Aug 24, 5:06pm
Depends on what you want. You could fit a s/h single din CD player you get off FB marketplace for $20 for under $50 incl trim.

franc123, Aug 24, 5:12pm
Does that include purchasing the unit too? If you think you can get it installed and fully functional within one hour, why don't you show them how its done?

sw20, Aug 24, 5:14pm
It is super easy to remove the stock stereo. Two pieces of trim either side just unclip. Four 10mm bolts holding the unit in, then unplug the plugs off the back of the unit.

For $700 I'd want a double din replacement with Bluetooth, factory reverse camera retained and the steering wheel controls working.

kazbanz, Aug 24, 5:45pm
It depends on what stereo is in the Blade AND what he expects.
1) it almost certainly has the "integrated" radio. https://trademe.tmcdn.co.nz/photoserver/full/1388328032.jpg
--Not a big hassle but you need an after market fascia/ fit kit--this is NOT the same as "Toyota double din"
--Just look up Blade radio on here and you'll see the part I mean.
2) he might want to retain the steering wheel controls.
Either you need a radio already capable of this or you need an accessory kit (about $140)
3) he may want to retain the rear view camera. This is more regularly possible with Toyota than other makes to use the factory camera BUT the camera is often the weak link having been exposed to the elements for 10-14 years. I usually recommend changing the camera
4) If he wants streaming of GPS from his phone and blue tooth that's also Higher end head unit.
For a double din DECENT radio,Bluetooth, streaming via usb and reverse camera and wheel controls I work on $600 is--with the fit kit $700 is about right.
THAT SAID--if all he wants is "a radio" -then "extension cords" are $30 Fit kit $60. Single pocket about $30 and a radio say $120 for something decent. So all up under $250.
OR factory double din Toyota radio/cd aux in and fit kit about $160.00

kazbanz, Aug 24, 5:52pm
So0rry not that easy. Most blades have this setup -either black silver or woodgrain https://trademe.tmcdn.co.nz/photoserver/full/1388328032.jpg

kazbanz, Aug 24, 5:54pm
Um was that bet a general one or just for him? :-)
There is another "way" but honestly its IMO really ugly.
You remove the radio unit then cut the control panels free.-LITERALLY cut em free. Glue em back into place-no weight because the bulk of the radio is gone. With the control units free the guts of the radio falls away Then fit a double din or standard size radio with pocket in the hole.
Ive never done it. never plan to but did trade a Blade (or auris) where it had been done. Fitting a decent radio was a head scratcher because the wiring was as butchered as the fascia.-Ended up wiring in a replacement plug

sw20, Aug 24, 6:26pm
You buy the trim piece that makes it a 178mm x 100mm opening space rather than Toyotas 200mm or whatever it is. You then fit the pocket if using a single din, or not if using a double din replacement. https://www.wavetech.co.nz/11-110/

It is that easy.

gazzat22, Aug 25, 10:59am
The Double Din for Toyota units advertised as "Plug and Play" are they just that or do they need a fitting kit/fascia kit.I,m referring to a unit out of a NZ new toyota to put into a Japanese import Blade/Auris etc.

kazbanz, Aug 25, 11:59am
They are /Should be "plug and play" from the prospective of the wiring.
Except possibly for the antenna which has gone from the round standard plug to a Toyota plug. Everything else totally depends on which Toyota they are out of. The Blade/Auris/Corolla hatch have that Bridge type centre console and that integrated radio or the trim round the radio. Out of any other Toyota the radio will fit but will need the trim I talked about -again $60.

kazbanz, Aug 25, 12:18pm
I think we are saying the same thing just from a different POV.
You were saying total cost about $50.00 for "joe average" and a simple install. In my experience its either /or -simple or cheap.
Simple is
replacement trim $60.00
Pocket kit $30.00
Wiring kit $30.00
Radio $100-$150.00
$220
Or Replacement trim $60.00
Toyota factory double din $100
$160.00
I can't work out any way a working radio can be in and looking half decent for total cost of $50.00

gazzat22, Aug 25, 1:12pm
Thanks Kaz.As usual god clear info. Hope the lockdown hasnt treated you too badly.

kazbanz, Aug 25, 1:48pm
No worries--it helps to be able to walk to an actual car rather than depend on my (lousy) memory.

sw20, Aug 25, 3:08pm
Ok I may have been a little on the low side. Looks like trim is $55. Pockets are $10. ISO connectors are $10 each so, $20. Then pickup a second hand CD player from FB marketplace for $20.

kazbanz, Aug 25, 4:58pm
-I guess you "could" toss piece of rubbish radio in but honestly why on earth would you?

gazzat22, Aug 25, 5:22pm
What exactly do you mean "A Mans Man" Wide open for a different interpretation nowadays.

sw20, Aug 25, 5:29pm
It was just an option. So essentially for a tidy basic install you are looking at $75-85 + source unit. Provided you can install it yourself.

xs1100, Aug 25, 7:11pm
cheers for that maybe thats why im asking a spurt like u a x spurt

xs1100, Aug 25, 7:16pm
cheers Kaz, Yes used to sell the pockets and the trim plates and the plug n plays so yes prob wants the full deal with blue tooth and so on.
Try Eds autos for yr pockets and so on. HAHAHA i used to sell millars lots of gear when stu was there and eric

kazbanz, Aug 26, 1:05pm
A real man can and will drive anything he darn well pleases without feeling the need to compensate by buying big n loud type cars.
Or if in the US a "truck"

kazbanz, Aug 26, 1:09pm
Other than a 3 year break when we went to Central park I was here then.
Going back a few years though--crikey nigh on 15 -20 years ago now

gazzat22, Nov 30, 8:42am
Yes.Some dont feel the need for a" Status" or in some cases a "Virility "symbol.!