A wof question.

Page 1 / 2
m16d, Oct 7, 4:21pm
Can you pass a wof with a light bar fitted. ?

https://trademe.tmcdn.co.nz/photoserver/full/1414233321.jpg

trouser, Oct 7, 4:45pm
Yes. Has to be switched separately I think and have no dangerous projections.

kazbanz, Oct 7, 5:19pm
looking at the picture no. Based on too many lights at the front.
The issue being you are only allowed a certain number of lights.
I've been wrong before and will be again.
That said if you didn't have the chin spotlights then it needs to be wired so it can only come on with the park or full lights turned on as well as a separate off on switch

muzz67, Oct 7, 5:33pm
Workmate got failed today for one mounted to the front of the bonnet and not switchable correctly.
Took the relay out, got wof, put relay back in.

m16d, Oct 7, 5:48pm
OK. It's wired into high beam but with a separate switch so it can be turned off.

franc123, Oct 7, 5:51pm
They are passable as long as they are independently switched, and are strictly for offroad use. They are not to be used on the road for obvious reasons.

m16d, Oct 7, 6:16pm
OK, but what obvious reason. these things turn night into day.

clark20, Oct 7, 6:38pm
The rule states you are meant to have two lamps or 4 lamps on high , not 1 or 3. I am looking into getting it changed to 1-4 like Australia.

john1623, Oct 7, 7:16pm
And dazzle everyone coming towards you.You may say I wouldnt do that but plenty do.

clangie, Oct 7, 7:35pm
well id say its perfectly legal because the upspecced colorados-tritons-dmaxs etc all come out with them from factory

sandypheet, Oct 7, 8:09pm
Cannot be wired into a required light circut.

bigfatmat1, Oct 7, 9:00pm
As others stated needs to be on separate switch. Not wired into.lighting circuit.

kazbanz, Oct 7, 9:51pm
l understood it needed to have both. Independent switch and only able to come on with the lights on at least park - so double switched

bigfatmat1, Oct 7, 10:42pm
na not allowed uneven amount of lights so not connected to lights classed as a work light. Which is strange because work lights are not allowed to face forward.

franc123, Oct 7, 11:48pm
They're a single light source for a start, ie not in a pair, and are thus classified as a work lamp and the other reason is blindingly obvious, not that either of these things matter too much to the sort of buttheads that think they're a good idea. They may get outlawed completely if people are going to be stupid with them.

franc123, Oct 7, 11:51pm
They're legal, but that doesnt mean you can use them wherever you feel like it, their use is prohibited on public roads.

sandypheet, Oct 8, 8:00am
I doubt they come out of the `factory` with them, more like out of the dealership with them, welcome to prove otherwise.

alowishes, Oct 8, 8:57am
Likewise with big offset bigger diameter wheels.

gazzat22, Oct 8, 8:58am
But not by inconsiderate Pricks who dont care if they dazzle other road users.

amasser, Oct 8, 9:21am
So his vehicle is no longer compliant. Has he advised his insurance company?

richardmayes, Oct 8, 10:36am
At a car club run I heard an old boy with a Mk2 Jag talking about why he replaced his fog lamps with a pair of landing lights from a Cessna. They were for signalling other motorists. the signal was clear and unequivocal:

"Kind Sir, please dip your high beams, and get your hillbilly light bar out of my face".

wind.turbine, Oct 8, 11:19am
this from a wof guy at a big hardcore 4wd workshop.
I found out all this after VTNZ failed me on this exact thing, I had two light bars fitted to nudge bar, wired into highbeams but had an isolating switch so they are disabled for road use.
Had switch turned off when it went in, mr wof man played around with switched to torn them back on, even tried the rear work lamps out too.
according to guy I later spoke to this is highly illegal, he is not authorized to start mucking around with switches etc that are non standard for the vehicle, he should never have got any of the light bars running.

secondly he also tried to fail me on the light bars being there at all, said only legal driving lights are allowed to be there yet he could fine no where in the VRM that could back this up.

Again, this was false and was told that work lights can be installed anywhere, as long as they don't cause a physical safety issue which these don't.

He also enlightened me that it is legal to use work lights on the road as the rule around it is vague, as long as you are not using them in a way to annoy or dazzle other road users then you cant be fined, but again the rule is vague.

Hella now sell a fully road legal light bar as well so if it one day became a issue then its not hard to swap to a set of them

pauldw, Oct 8, 11:34am
The work light rule isn't vague at all.
Road User Rule 8.4
"(2)
A person may use a work lamp only—
(a)
when the vehicle to which it is fitted is stationary or travelling slowly; and
(b)
to illuminate a work area or scene."

gpg58, Oct 8, 3:52pm
If they were the ones i had back in the 70's, they were brilliant, on the long straights down here between chch and timaru, even big trucks would flash there lights at me, even though we had both just entered the straight, from opposite ends(ie miles apart). The ones i had, used a quartz prism in front of the lamps filament, which shaped the light output into a nice rectangle, hitting the road at a considerable distance (i also had a set of wide angles for closer in lighting). we also used one for bunny hunting, mates laughed at it's tiny size(4" and only 100 watt i think) before it got dark, and proudly showed me the the big car headlight with both high and low wired together, they were going to use. As soon as it got dark, their one got thrown in the backseat in disgust.

wind.turbine, Oct 9, 6:56am
define slow unless they have a specific speed limit then its hard to inforce