VW Passat headlight horror story

Page 6 / 6
richardmayes, Sep 28, 6:48pm
Would you like a hug? Come here and have a hug. You can tell me all about how fast YOUR car is.

richardmayes, Sep 28, 8:13pm
No, I've just been amazed at how many grown men there are on here, who seem to really get their whole sense of self-esteem from their car. how fast their car is. how expensive their car is. how much they know about cars.

Some people just seem to get a lot out of being that guy who has the best toys, and being seen and recognized as the guy with the best toys.

I'm trying my best to see it as the result of childhood trauma, because in the past I've just written it off as laughable e-posturing by the tragically insecure.

My kids have a little friend like that. any time my kids get a new toy, a couple of weeks later he's got THE BIGGEST one of that sort of thing.

My kids saved their pocket money for months and bought themselves Lego Jurassic Park sets, a couple of weeks go past and little Mr next door has guilted his mum into getting him the biggest Lego T-Rex vs Robot T Rex thing, it's something like $300.

We fixed up my wife's old dolls house for my little daughter last xmas and populated it with some Playmobil people, next thing little Mr next door has got a bunch of Playmobil people big enough to sink a ship. It's not like his mum is made of money, I don't know how she does it.

He's a sweet little kid for now, but my fear is that if he gets interested in cars in his teens, then before we know it he'll be on here making sure everyone knows that his engine is THE BIGGEST.

trade4us2, Sep 29, 4:19pm
I tried to do a voltage drop test. Since it is the brake light that is shown as faulty, I had to somehow jamb the brake pedal on and measure the voltage at the brake light. I burnt myself on the hot bulb several times.
It was very much easier to just measure the resistance.
I know where the fault is, as I have fixed it before. The earth wire from the rear light cluster goes off into a bunch of wires that I have yet to check out.

sw20, Sep 29, 6:17pm
Young men don't like cars anymore. Most of the sub 25s I work with can't even drive a manual.

marte, Sep 29, 8:13pm
Most of the under 25's i know don't even know what a ' Column shift' is.

gph1961, Sep 29, 8:21pm
I dont know any-one under 25

saxman99, Sep 29, 9:25pm
He who dies with the most toys wins.

intrade, Sep 29, 9:32pm
he who works without a moan, the basillian wont turn to stone

richardmayes, Sep 30, 10:39am
True. when I was under 25 I was paying my student loan, but other guys under 25 who were earning could realistically aspire to get into a ten year old Evo 4/5/6 or the equivalent WRX STI or a Type R Civtegra. Or for a bit less budget there were lots of older Mk2 RX7s and GTS-T skidlines around.

There doesn't seem to be an equivalent of those cars today? GTi Golfs seem to be the closest. it is probably harder and less rewarding to be "into performance cars" than it used to be.

richardmayes, Sep 30, 10:41am
You're alright mals. You haven't warned anyone to 'underestimate the L67 engine at their peril' as far as I've seen.

meow_mix, Sep 30, 3:36pm
Volkswagen Audi Group cars certainly have their good points, the quality of their panel and paint is excellent, with very tight shut lines like where the doors meet the guards, no one else seems to be able to get these laser-tight shut lines. As we know the quality of the interiors is class-leading. But as they roll on to 10 years old they suffer lots of problems including electrical problems and endless warning lights on the dash, and many mechanics in NZ don't really know how to fix them, this makes them uneconomical to keep on the road, a knackered 2010 A6 with warning lights will be worth almost nothing. In my opinion VAG need to do an investigation into this, and maybe take a leaf out of Lexus' book. A late model Audi should last a life time if it was really a quality car like a Lexus.

jesus2000, Sep 30, 4:07pm
They have and they want to increase the amount of plastic components in their cars.

https://youtu.be/T3aCGKzaOCI?t=12

sport_billy, Sep 30, 8:10pm
Any more YouTube videos about how sensible and long lasting quality Lexus’ are?

jesus2000, Oct 1, 3:43pm
Sure, take this guy's experience with used BMWs.

https://youtu.be/g_1se-02qIQ And the same guy going to pick up and drive home an old Lexus he just bought. https://youtu.be/UvzCJTTUQWU

marte, Oct 1, 6:43pm
#170 The Audi will last a lifetime, IF it's maintained. Maintained means replacing stuff before it breaks though.
We don't really do that in NZ, we wait till it breaks.
All of the problems in my Audi's have been caused by bad maintenance & parts are often cheap to replace. Ok, some parts are not if you buy original.
But 4 brakes hoses for NZ$50 Inc P&P from Germany, beat that!
( Ok it's a bit more cos of corona, but the parts are cheap & quality)

Keeping up with what needs maintenance is a problem if you don't know the cars & if you do, you know what parts to get in anticipation.

jesus2000, Nov 19, 9:04am
The same S6 is back in the shop with new problems.

https://youtu.be/vh0najycA9g?t=24

intrade, Nov 19, 9:15am
while a toyota from 1980 to 2004 with a 4A-fe and 3 speed aisin. who dont meets euro 0 emission after the first 2 years of its live. Was able to drive on 10 oil changes and 0 gearbox services for 200.000km = what the toyota owners are used to do. spend zip zero nada other then a new battery and what ever faild on wof.
Well them owners are in for big gift of surprise. when there new toyota is completely undrivable in about 2 years of them owning it. with repairbills Quite simmilar to whats posted on here. Then they go and buy electric and get quoted what was it again 120 grand for a new battery lol

jesus2000, Nov 19, 10:04am
I found it interesting with the wizard talking about the difficulty of maintenance in trying to get to common components like the thermostat or starter motor etc.

Part of choosing a car with cheap running costs to me is looking at the ability to do as much of the servicing myself. Not only having a more reliable Toyota/Lexus that should last well with just the basic maintenance of fluid changes and brake pads. Being able to replace spark plugs and starter motors and water pumps myself.

It's even why I chose a rear wheel drive V6 Lexus over a V8 Lexus or even a front wheel drive V6 Lexus. The ease of accessing and servicing components. It's easy to search on youtube to see others doing these jobs on particular cars to get an idea of what's involved first. Then it's more easy to decide if these are jobs you would be happy to tackle yourself or instead leave to a workshop.

gazzat22, Nov 19, 10:10am
It used to be called a Virility Symbol or a Penis Substitute in less PC times or maybe just a sign of insecurity.

jesus2000, Oct 22, 6:55pm
Here's the difference of the ease of changing the spark plugs on different Lexus.

V6 FWD.
https://youtu.be/u8ie-RqtCnI?t=101 A V8 RWD. https://youtu.be/zfPZaHARp_I?t=34
And a V6 RWD.
https://youtu.be/RI6r22ctge8?t=126