Golf need new Battery - Stop-start

selvath, Jul 28, 8:26am
The battery in my lil 1.4t 2013 golf has gone bad and i require a replacement, the AA guy that saved me quoted me $569, VW has quoted me $735~ exc GST & Labor for OEM and the only other place to respond to my enquirys quoted me $539 - Does anyone know a place to get a battery for one of these that isnt going to cost me a weeks wages? I also have a ODB tool so i can update the values if need be, TIA!

msigg, Jul 28, 8:51am
Repco bnt supercheap ask google.

intrade, Jul 28, 9:10am
ok Hold on right there. What tool do you have ?
Also you cant put any battery in start stop they are special super expensive AGM if i recall correctly
Post all information and i can help you?
ODB tool so i can update the values= what tool make model geniuen etc
also are you in auckland ? i dont know of a town called onehunga lol
oterahonga yes

selvath, Jul 28, 9:11am
Thanks, I was looking at those earlier as east tamaki is a town over. Just dropped several grand on a new clutch pack and shock top mounts for this car which I'm still trying to recover from, i wanna make sure this bullet is as small as possible!

intrade, Jul 28, 9:15am
Also what engine if its fsi tfsi ?

selvath, Jul 28, 9:22am
1.4 TSI 103kw

intrade, Jul 28, 9:38am
ok can you look if you got a smart alternator with obd11?
You can only really get away with a normal battery if you permanent disable start stop. Normally there is a button to disable start stop but it will be back again and for start stop you really need type AGM battery
also the new battery will need to be coded in if it has a smart charge and it most probably has if t is start stop.

intrade, Jul 28, 9:43am
you really need a ctek charger to top the battery up if you keep it as is every now and then.
here is something for you to read
https://batteryworld.varta-automotive.com/en-gb/efb-or-agm-which-battery-do-i-need

sw20, Jul 28, 9:53am
Ouch, barely seven year old commuter car needing new clutch.

selvath, Jul 28, 10:00am
DSG/Auto I got it at 25,000km *just* out of warranty.

when your crawling in traffic it skips 1st gear and feels like it rides 2nd.

martin11, Jul 28, 10:40am
Get rid of the car , new clutch/tops of shocks at that KM its a lemon .

toyboy3, Jul 28, 10:53am
This guy also has a shop on new north road Mount Albert

intrade, Jul 28, 11:03am
dsg is a bad idea on auckland . because a dsg is a manual with 2 clutches and riding the clutch all the time for start stop . you can figure where this lads to. the pinano pizza man said the wet ones where better . so dont know if you have a dry or wet clutch dsg. i like 6 speed manual just wish first gear was lower as its a nightmare to hillstart with a trailer on a high first gear-

selvath, Jul 28, 11:10am
I've driven a few DSG's now and they all seem to behave the same (though i swear the s-tronics felt a bit better) - a month after i got the gearbox fixed VW emailed asking me to bring it in for a recall involving the mechatronics unit/clutch. go figure.

intrade, Jul 28, 12:22pm
The issue with Dsg is to save the clutchpacks live to last longer is not what drivers want, the early programming was complained about by owners as its harsh shifting and not smooth feeling for driver. So they changed it to please the owners and the sacrifice is the dual-clutch packs wear out faster.

budgel, Jul 28, 2:09pm
I second Desmodave's suggestion. I've bought several batteries for family & friends from him. Good service and the best prices. No problems with the quality.

selvath, Jul 29, 4:59pm
$360 and a bit of fiddling with my odb11 to update the Ah and adaptation and I'm up and running again, got a battery from super start guys, thanks for the tips

tamarillo, Dec 15, 8:59pm
Thanks for posting result! Worried it needed new clutch pack and wondered where it’s been before that it wore so quickly.