Road Works - that aren't.

Page 1 / 2
amasser, Jul 2, 9:26am
Passed through approx. 1.5 km. of cones, with 2 trucks and 2 vans, plus traffic management on a S.H., in 100 k.p.h. area. There were probably 8 'workers' there, perhaps more, as 2 blokes collected litter from the verges. Neither appeared to be on a performance bonus.
Safety of workers is necessary but one questions the value for money of contracts for such work. They were clearing the road cones when I returned, about 2.5 hours later but the no. of vehicles and blokes used seemed excessive.

Also, do you notice the no. of workers who are using their mobile phones while (presumably) being paid?

slarty45, Jul 2, 9:43am
The hazard was the cones, heaps of them.

3tomany, Jul 2, 9:53am
It is called jobs for everyone.

franc123, Jul 2, 11:09am
Nothings changed since the days of the MOW apart from more road cones and hi viz gear. Shovel Ready projects mean theres people ready to lean on shovels.

bill-robinson, Jul 2, 1:16pm
the glories of heath and safety at work for all to see and pay for.
frank 123, i thought it meant the shovels were already set in concrete for leaning on

richardmayes, Jul 2, 1:30pm
As a construction industry guy who's seen guys get seriously injured at work, I'll ALWAYS slow down to 30 whem I'm driving through somebody's job site. Human life is irreplaceable and far to precious to risk for petty wants.

I agree though it is hard to keep the faith,
when you see a kilometre of road cones and a kilometre of 30km/h before anybody doing any work is encountered.

Perhaps if a few more people actually observed the temporary 70 and 30 limits instead of cruising on thru at 95, the STMS people wouldn't feel the need to put out quite so many miles of cones? Just a thought.

headcat, Jul 2, 1:45pm
Wish I was so important that being a couple of minutes late mattered.

sr2, Jul 2, 2:24pm
From what I can gather the Traffic Management companies who set up the cones charge out on an hourly/daily basis - it's in their best financial interest to have those cones out as long as possible!

trogedon, Jul 2, 2:32pm
They are / were $3 a day / cone in Auckland.

tamarillo, Jul 2, 2:54pm
makes me fume! They make it 30 kmh when the actual road works on a side street! Had traffic lights and tow stop go sign people for a 20 metre stretch of one lane in straight road in little used 50 kmh road - surely we can see who is socking and work it out like we do with one lane bridges?
worst is at weekend when they leave their 50 and 30 k areas on main highways when all there is a a few bloody cones on side of road and no workers. Then they complain when we don't always slow down. Idiots. Too many bloody rules.

cjohnw, Jul 2, 3:02pm
God forbid we actually have to slow down for a couple of minutes eh?
That’s the attitude and that’s the trouble.
Too much impatience.

sr2, Jul 2, 9:24pm
Retired senior citizen?

mrfxit, Jul 2, 9:39pm
Fair enough having to slow down for obviously bad road conditions / workers doing their job etc. BUT when theres a km of cones & signs out on a pretty good stretch of road & theres 100% nothing happening or anybody about.
yea thats what generates a lot of the issues with speeding even when work is being done.
All very well demanding respect for road workers but when the roading companys leave a worksite fully restricted on long holiday weekends, it all gets a bit much to comply with

cjohnw, Jul 2, 9:45pm
Red mist Road rage?

androth2, Jul 2, 9:52pm
In my street they announced it would be closed at one end in April,its still closed with no work being done for weeks but still a large number of cones everywhere

trogedon, Jul 2, 9:54pm
You could've done the right thing and rung in a complaint about it.

framtech, Jul 2, 10:01pm
Well how dumb are they, the best way to slow down traffic is violent judder bars and speed camera's, Ive even been passed observing the speed limit in road works, so why not use the above methods ?

cjohnw, Jul 2, 10:02pm
The truth of the matter is it would be very rare that you would need to slow down or even come to a stop for more than a few minutes. Can you honestly give an example where a speed restriction has cost you say 15 minutes out of your life, or more? Probably not I say.
If you are driving in the South Island you can encounter a farmer moving stock across a road which might mean you have to wait for some time. Does that bring down the red mist, steam coming out of your ears, fists thumping the steering wheel?
If it makes you “fume” you are the problem and you are likely to become a road rage nutter.
Take a breath and have a little patience at the end of the day it is not all about you.
A few orange cones . . . meh!

sr2, Jul 2, 10:12pm
LOL; shudders at the mental image of the old boy reaching for the blood pressure tabs and the walking frame!

(Are you sure you're not a Milford local?).

cjohnw, Jul 2, 10:30pm
Maybe when you mature a little more you just might realise there is no need to rush your life away!
Doubtful, but I hope so.

sr2, Jul 2, 11:12pm
Yes, I guessed it.
You have to be a Milford local!

nice_lady, Jul 3, 7:04am
In think what some are complaining off is when the cones appear to be there for no apparent reason.

gph1961, Jul 3, 7:14am
the older you get the more you should hurry cos the clock is ticking down

amasser, Jul 3, 8:35am
Yes. I agree with safety measures but wonder at the cost of road works, as described, in the number of staff and vehicles used.

mrfxit, Jul 3, 2:14pm
Waiting or slowing for an obvious problem & waiting or slowing down for an obviously deserted section of road that "was" under repair a few days/weeks ago but is now repaired, is a totally different situation.
It's not uncommon to come across a deserted section of 1 or 2kms of road works signs complete with speed restrictions on straight sections of road AND the work was being done on the side drains etc, nothing to do with the road surface.