Electric cars are not the solution to our problems

Page 2 / 3
nice_lady, Jun 23, 1:24pm
Yeah and we as a nation are not helping and the Govt is just ignoring the whole issue in favor of hitting the 'low hanging fruit', (that's you and me).

We do stupid stuff like exporting timber which is then processed in another country, (China is one), and shipped all the way back again - yes reimported. SHIPPED yes on Boats which emit absolutely HUGE amounts of carbon etc half way round the world and back again. This happens with many products. Fish caught here then shipped to China so they can fillet it, repack it and send it back. This is insanity. Why the F*ck wont someone in the higher echelons of Govt admit that if we just shut off these stupid practises then we could all drive bulldozers to and from the supermarket if we wanted to and STILL we'd massively reduce our contribution to carbon.

Jeez. It aint even rocket science.

absolute_detail, Jun 23, 1:56pm
haha did your mrs runn off with a man that drives a ute?

apollo11, Jun 23, 2:52pm
It's all virtue signalling waffle from professional hypocrites.

tygertung, Jun 23, 3:00pm
Please explain a more efficient way of transporting goods overseas than by ship. Air freight?

The ships are completely full and their engines are reasonably efficient. Of course we could go back to sailing ships, but it is quite labour intensive and somewhat dangerous, however a lot of that could be solved these days with automation.

But shipping unprocessed logs is a bit of a waste of time as you lose out on the value added part, as do you with the fish. I don't disagree with that.

But I dare say the container ships are more efficient than a heavy vehicle with a single occupant, given the payload to vehicle weight ratio.

kateley, Jun 23, 3:20pm
I wasn't inferring there was a more efficient way of getting the vehicles to NZ than on a high emission container ship
I was saying that I shouldn't be forced to buy one when I don't want one as I have a perfectly suitable ute.
Not buying the extra vehicle would save emissions by not needing to be imported at all.

nice_lady, Jun 23, 3:43pm
I dunno. But we DO ship a LOT of stuff overseas and a lot of stuff back this way. It's stupidity. Why the hell are we shipping wood overseas and then buying it back ? Why are we shipping fish overseas and then buying it back. And I'll bet theres a LOT more items we're shipping. it's madness and it shows the hypocrisy of this whole 'virtue signalling ' re the reduction in pollution and carbon output. It's all a lot of smoke and mirrors. They like to be seen to be doing something but meanwhile theres several VERY LARGE Elephants in this room !

alowishes, Jun 23, 3:52pm
Less people on the planet would also help.

apollo11, Jun 23, 3:52pm
It's not the engines, it's the crappy, cheap fuel. If one ship puts out the pollution of fifty million cars, then knocking a few knots off the ship's cruising speed is the equivalent of taking millions of cars off the road.

nice_lady, Jun 23, 3:54pm
yah but time is money and those ships cost HEAPS to hire. so cost goes up and who pays ? you and I of course.

apollo11, Jun 23, 3:57pm
Well, people will be paying thousands more for their new cars, an extra tenner on the price of a TV is probably do-able. And if it cost more to freight stuff from country to country, it would make local production and value adding more viable.

alowishes, Jun 23, 4:05pm
PETA and their like will want to ban using a horse in that manner.

cjohnw, Jun 23, 4:06pm
NZ does not export seafood overseas for processing and then reimport it. .
The large majority of processing is actually done at sea and the industry employs over 2,500 people.
We do import seafood but these are usually species which are not caught in our fishing zone(s).
The NZ seafood industry is worth 2 billion dollars in exports, to this country.

bill-robinson, Jun 23, 6:59pm
OP, what problems?

joanie32, Jun 23, 7:01pm
I think the real real problem

Is too many people wanking on about what sort of vehicle others should drive

Usually people that don’t understand the basics of climate and how it changes.

cjohnw, Jun 23, 7:06pm
I wish there was a “like” button on here.

bitsnpieces2020, Jun 23, 7:18pm
lol lets all buy 5 cars each then, that'll save the planet.

monaro_xxx, Jun 23, 7:54pm
Regardless of emissions, looking at News tonight big power price increases to some businesses (allegedly) because of lack of rain.
if 1/2 the country was EV, almost all would be charging overnight causing another power surge.
Power companies would need to burn more coal to keep up.
Power prices will never come down, even if we all halved our power usage, the price would have to go up to pay shareholders etc.
Its a vicious circle, I say drive what you want!

poppy62, Jun 23, 8:45pm
Everyone could have 20 cars, but you can only drive one at a time. Horses for Courses.

intrade, Jun 24, 1:21pm
f. n up the planet and then taking every cent from who ever works is not fixing the problem . only makes the thugs more rich. What do you think really extingushed the dainosaurs and why is human dna almost all the samer because mass extinction is a cycle as real fact.

intrade, Jun 28, 6:45pm

harm_less, Jun 28, 6:59pm
Electricity supply transformers have existed for decades for cellphones, laptops, etc. The home 'chargers' for EVs are just bigger versions of these. So, what's the big deal? Misnomers are all too common in modern tech.

casper35, Jun 28, 7:15pm
So very true Agree 100 percent.

sr2, Jun 28, 8:04pm
+2
I couldn't agree more.

nice_lady, Jun 28, 8:52pm
And yet I've seen packages fish fillets in the supermarket. And it stated something like "Produced in China from New Zealand fish''.

jmma, Jun 28, 9:08pm
And this has WHAT to do with Motoring?