Toyota Vitz remote

rpvr, Oct 6, 4:00pm
My partner has an old Toyota Vitz (2002) and both of the remote keys are getting a bit iffy. They are just central locking remotes, not smart keys or anything. Just wondering if anyone knows where to get a suitable aftermarket remote which can 'learn' the code from the existing ones? I know this can be done for certain cars but haven't been able to find one for the Vitz.

kazbanz, Oct 6, 4:39pm
You can buy replacement shells which include the buttons from any decent automotive locksmith. But be aware the cheaper option does tend to break the key out easier. If though by a bit iffy you mean not working then I'd suggest as first option changing the battery

rpvr, Oct 6, 9:42pm
Yeah, I've already replaced the shell for one of them. Replaced both the batteries, but it seems the push button contact is wearing out on both. One is not too bad with only the occasional 'misfire', but the other is quite bad in that repeated pushing of the button does nothing, then suddenly works.

tmenz, Oct 6, 10:18pm
That is often a problem with the miniature switch 'diaphragms' in the on-board switches - the contact points get worn and/or tarnished/corroded. These are usually part of the printed circuit board electronics and as such, are not replaced when new shells/button rubbers are fitted. Depending on the type of switches used, they can be sometimes be replaced with a generic type by a competent technician or sometimes they can be successfully dismantled and refurbished. I've done a couple of Nissan ones successfully!

There's a mobile locksmith in Warkworth who claims to be able to replace and programme most car keys - try giving him a call.

kazbanz, Oct 7, 9:54am
What he ^^^^^^^^ said.

one possible solution if all else fails might be an alarm. One step down gives you a remote central locking system using the alarm remote.

rpvr, Oct 7, 9:42pm
Had a good look at the worst one today, and (fingers crossed) it may not be the switch contacts after all. I noticed that when I pushed the button and nothing happened, there was no corresponding flash from the little LED. This led me to check how secure the battery was in its holder, and the answer was - not very. Holding the battery tightly in place allowed the remote to work every time. So I put a bit of cardboard packing under the clip that holds the battery in place, and so far it's working perfectly!.

kazbanz, Oct 7, 9:59pm
might be the wrong battery if for example it’s a 2016 then you need a 2020 . If it’s a 2020 then you need a 2032. Or if it’s a 1616 you need 1620 etc . But the thinner battery works - as you say with a packer behind it

rpvr, Oct 8, 7:50am
It's the right battery, CR1220. Tiny little battery, I'm surprised that they last as long as they do.

kazbanz, Oct 8, 1:24pm
1220 or 1620?

rpvr, Nov 9, 4:50pm