Can I reject both of my near new, 9 month old cars

Page 1 / 8
gpg58, Mar 18, 7:13pm
Just had first full service done at 12000 km, well supposedly anyway, but neither the oil or the filter were changed. I have just changed them myself under my surveillance cameras so there will be no argument, and the oil is as black as a, not allowed to say these days, and the filter appeared to have not been removed ever, will be cutting it open later for further inspection as well.
the sample oil saved in a clear glass jar is black as heck, no sunlight passes through it at all in full sun, yet this is the first and most important service on the car.
As the 3 years free servicing was one of the reasons for purchase, I feel I should be able to reject both vehicles as the dealer cannot be trusted to fulfill his obligations on those sales.
can any of you knowledgeable car folk, please advise me my rights in the situation, as they are also the warranty agents for the brand.
I have left a message for the CEO to contact me in the morning.
will look back in this thread later, as right now too angry , so going for a walk with the dog to try to calm down.
Reason for being really annoyed is that this also happened with the last brand new vehicle I bought in 2013 from a different distributor.

intrade, Mar 18, 7:24pm
what did i say they do nothing just stamp the book. they get no money for servicing so they do nothing. manufacturer want it to blow up as soon as the warranty is up. and they will win in court cause it was never serviced.
i know i am right and you just proofing it,

spead, Mar 18, 7:34pm
The CEO has nothing to do with it. Approach the correct people and do it in a civil way. Polite complaints get results.

tgray, Mar 18, 7:40pm
So you have done 12,000 trouble free K's over the last 9 months and you would like a full refund on both cars over this? Don't be ridiculous! lol.
Are they Diesel engines by chance?
Kaz, where are you?.

sr2, Mar 18, 7:46pm
My post concerns your "bespoke" or "cancel culture" assumption that one can "reject" a commercial transaction that is signed and sealed. I would suggest that in our real world one would question or contest if the other party has honoured the agreement?

Demanding to have the CEO contact you immediately will probably be as fruitful as demanding that “our dear leader” contact you immediately to tell you why you can’t buy a cheap “Kiwibuild” home today!

Edited to ask: "what could possibly go wrong"!

curlcrown, Mar 18, 7:46pm
In my honest opinion no, there is no fault with the cars. If indeed they failed to service them as required you should have first contacted them about it and got it done. The fact that you have now done it yourself significantly weakens your case even in denying they serviced it. A sample of oil in a glass jar is not going to help your case in my opionion. I could go out to my shed and tip some black oil into a glass jar right now. I'm not saying that you are in the wright or wrong here but just how it will look in court because the dealer is not going to accept the rejection on those grounds.

gpg58, Mar 18, 7:47pm
Petrol 1.4 non turbo. Reason for rejection would not being able to trust them to do required maintenance, and they are the only agents. Other one has just done 3000 k.

https://trademe.tmcdn.co.nz/photoserver/full/1508614912.jpg

curlcrown, Mar 18, 7:48pm
That's the only way the oil would be completly black. infact it would go black after a short drive. I think you may have hit the nail on the head.

gpg58, Mar 18, 7:49pm
Service interval is 15000 k's so they didn't want to do it until I got to that but I requested that they did.
as oil change information notice kept coming up in the dash

On the beach so almost no reception, but who here would like to say that photo of the oil is expected from a brand new car that had it's oil changed 100ks ago I think not

gpg58, Mar 18, 7:53pm
Agree in trade which is why I was checking

curlcrown, Mar 18, 7:56pm
As black of the Ace of Spades you could say, how many km has the car done from whick that was drianed? And what is the make and model?

gph1961, Mar 18, 8:20pm
blah blah blah boo who
ill buy it /them from you

franc123, Mar 18, 8:37pm
Oh for goodness sake, before some other ignoramus who doesnt work in the new vehicle industry makes a fool of themselves, I'm guessing both these vehicles are Holdens? The free servicing is covered through warranty and therefore is a warranty claim, the car MUST have travelled at LEAST 15,000km since its delivery (or the previous oil service) OR it's been 12 months since its delivery or last oil service before its entitled to it's free service, Holden will not pay the claim otherwise. You can service it beforehand if you want to but it simply doesn't meet the criteria for being entitled to the free service, ie it's going to be at your cost if you want it done earlier. There is nothing unfair or unreasonable about that, its merely adhesion to the minimum servicing requirement that is specified. This should have been explained to you by the service advisor, and you should have been told to being the car back in 3 months time or if 15k had been covered, and the car not touched until then. The person that sold it to you should have also explained it.

gpg58, Mar 18, 8:46pm
Thank you. - no comment re brand for now.

I was told the service interval is managed by the cars computer, based on time AND driving style/usage. Clearly the folk that set the system up, think it needed its oil changed given its usage.
They wanted to just reset the indicator, and have me continue to use her until one year or 15,000k's was up.
I said that i wanted the service done anyway, please can we book her in(expecting to be charged). - i wasn't, well at least as it was very recent, no bill has arrived so far.
PS - it was down to half way on dip stick (cold) before service, but had been topped up so was showing full the day after.

gpg58, Mar 18, 8:52pm
under 200kms, no comment.

franc123, Mar 18, 8:52pm
That being the case then the agency is entitled to charge for it. The assumption it's a Holden was partly based on some pretty obvious evidence in your photo there. I'm also curious as to what that label on the oil filter states. Also not uncommon for some oil consumption to occur between new and the first service.

gpg58, Mar 18, 9:00pm
Replace with - part number.
How do you feel about the likelihood of oil being that black already, if it was changed? it stinks as well.
As a comparison we wiped dipstick of neighbors 140,000km nissan note on a white paper towel (and also my cars), which had an oil change 5000km's ago, it was marginally cleaner.
Yes i agree some consumption would not be unusual while its bedding in, hence i did not make any mention of it to them.
Service coupon was removed, and remaining slip signed that filter and oil were changed. Vehicle was ready to be picked up way before the stated hour was up.

franc123, Mar 18, 9:05pm
I would expect it to be quite blackened up in the last few thousand km before its first service is due, this varies from engine to engine. I'm no personal fan of 15k service intervals the oil certainly does deteriorate after 8-10k has passed, particularly if much of it's running has been cold, its petrol contamination that's largely responsible for the blackness

gpg58, Mar 18, 9:07pm
So not that black after less than 200kms since changed then?

Mostly 15km+(30+ return) into town and longer trips.
Agree, i have always changed at 8,000 myself.

Have flushed it with another 2 liters of oil while draining this time, as is my habit every second change also.

Imagine what it would have looked and smelt like in another 15000kms, when next service will be due.

Is there a lab i could send sample too, for an expert opinion?

secca2, Mar 18, 10:36pm
Are you a qualified mechanical engineer and a member of the MTA, did you get authorization to change the oil and filter yourself? if so did you purchase the genuine products from the same companies parts division, if no to any of the above I'm sure you can petty much throw your warranty out the window?

gpg58, Mar 18, 10:47pm
Yes to correct filter and dexos oil.
Been down that road before, unless something i did/did not do, can be shown to be a likely cause for failure, warranty stands.

secca2, Mar 18, 11:04pm
ok good to hear.

franc123, Mar 18, 11:19pm
Well you could, but what exactly are you trying to achieve here apart from self souring your relationship with the service agency? You claim that free servicing was a big selling point of this, I'm guessing Barina or Trax, that you bought new, yet clearly you can DIY this operation? Why not just let them take care of it at no charge to you once a year as was intended and stop worrying about things so much? Or just buy a used car at a much lower price that doesnt have an included service contract? It isnt going to gain you additional coverage should something go wrong within the statutory warranty period.

hkjoe, Mar 18, 11:20pm
Probably the best comment ever on a Trademe thread.

kazbanz, Mar 18, 11:27pm
Vehicle purchased for commercial purposes. There is no cover under the CGA for the vehicle itself. Allowing you made a private purchase you do have CGA cover. BUT -The problem you face is there’s nothing wrong with the car / cars. The issue you have is with the workshop not carrying out the servicing as per your specific instructions. That then is a matter for the DT.