Can I reject both of my near new, 9 month old cars

Page 2 / 8
marte, Mar 19, 4:03am
I'm really surprised that the first oil change is at 15kkms. I think my book said first at 1000kms ( or less) & something about using 'running in oil '
And another change at 3 or 4 kkms & 8-10 kkms from then on.

gph1961, Mar 19, 6:07am
crikey!
was that 1973?

gph1961, Mar 19, 6:12am
intrade has some real goodies,lets look into that.now where is my torch?

jmma, Mar 19, 8:14am
You see all the signs on new cars, Please pass, Running in! lol

cabrio1, Mar 19, 8:47am
You could send it for a SOAP test
https://www.oillab.co.nz/ This crowd may help.
We send aircraft oil as specified in the manual, they tell us what's in the oil.
The info will tell what's wearing and how much, can even specify what bearing is wearing beyond normal.
Or just change the oil yourself,

martin11, Mar 19, 9:11am
OP has got 3 years free servicing but has put the in dispute by their omission of doing thier own oil change . Something funny about this post .

kazbanz, Mar 19, 9:53am
Thinking a bit about this.
If I dropped my petrol car in to a workshop to have a service I would be pretty darn annoyed to check the oil and see it black after just 200km.
I would be going back to the workshop pretty darn quick with the dirty oil in the car.
The reason for being upset is them failing to do what I off my own back instructed them to do.
But I would not be going back to the company that sold me the car.

In this situation the manufacturer has very clearly specified that the vehicle gets its first service after the vehicle has travelled 15000km OR it has been 12 months (usually whichever comes sooner)
The vehicles have not yet travelled those miles and it hasn't been 12 months so MVDT would have absolutely zero reason to even consider the case /have a case to consider.

Sorry GPG58 I feel you did your arguement / case no good at all by changing the oil/filter yourself. (even though I would want to do so myself)
One thought that has crossed my mind with NO specific make/model knowledge. -Manufacturers usually use a totally different type of oil in the vehicle for the bedding in period regardless of the type of bore the vehicle has. There's been a calculated time for that oil to do its twofold job.
By then shortening that period by 3 months /3000km ie 20% and going to the "normal" oil the vehicle will use for the rest of its life the manufacturer has a strong argument to void any warranty claim later in the vehicles life for related issues.

Keep in mind I have zero "skin in this game" from a personal point of view--Except arguably to WANT to see the knife stuck into the new car industry who take any chance they can to knobble used dealers.

kam04, Mar 19, 9:55am
We take my wifes mini paceman in for a service every 12 months. She doesn't do high kms, less than the requirement needed for a full service. We noticed that the oil never got changed every time. I questioned this once and they said that the oil that is used lasts longer and it doesn't need changing every time. The car is serviced by a mini franchise dealer. Have had this said on other vehicles that we have owned. We both don't do high kms in our vehicles so we figure that this could be one of the main reasons that it isn't changed. We both do less than 15,000ms / year, me maybe 8000-9000 the wife even less.

tgray, Mar 19, 10:25am
If you go to VTNZ for a service, the quoted price does not include engine oil and filter change - that costs extra. I found that to be incredible.

gazzat22, Mar 19, 10:34am
If the service was not due till 15000ks and the vehicle has only done 12000ks just exactly how much and what were you charged for?

gpg58, Mar 19, 10:47am
Ok update. Not read back yet but feel its important to comment asap.
Workshop footage has been reviewed, and saving it for me to view if i wish.
Drainer was under car for a reasonable time.
Oil stream can not be seen draining in camera angle, but mechanic can be seen with a drain bung in his hand, and also seen with an oil filter.
So therefore it does appear that oil can get that dirty quickly again after being changed.
So will just have to monitor how quick it gets dirty this time, have to say though, i have never seen oil that dirty before, in a petrol, at usual change interval, let alone soon after.
So with no evidence on their cameras that anything was not done, i have to apologize to them for believing otherwise.

gusthe1, Mar 19, 10:57am
Thanks for the update. Glad to read you were man enough to apologise. Many dont

intrade, Mar 19, 11:51am
well if they use the correct oil it can cost 125 bux trade for 5 liter oil like quertz ineo from total that a vag diesel with dpf requires. verses 60 or less for a petrol with port-fuel injection.
what would be deceptive is if you try and hide the fact it cost more.

sly-man, Mar 19, 12:35pm
What an absolute load of bull. Who told you that rot?

intrade, Mar 19, 12:49pm

martin11, Mar 19, 1:24pm
One person ramblings without facts and not even relevant to NZ .

taupo-trade-ins, Mar 19, 1:54pm
The holden 1.4l turbo has a very specific oil to reduce detonation damage.

so I hope your surveillance footage can show you used a Dexos 2 gen 2 5w30 oil otherwise you will probably void your warranty when it cracks a piston.

also I think this probably comes down to the OP realising his holden vehicles are depreciating as fast as an ice-cream cake in summer.

franc123, Mar 19, 2:36pm
It might still crack a piston evening the correct Dexos oil is used. But that's a whole other story.

franc123, Mar 19, 2:42pm
That doesnt apply in this case, the same factory spec oil is used throughout the cars service life, ditto if a brand new engine is fitted. The factory sumpfull isnt changed until 15k/12mths.

gpg58, Mar 20, 11:43am
Took some time out for the day, so just reading back now.

Yes when this happened with last ne vechile, u took it to another garage to have them confirm drain bungs and filter had not been moving or changed. This time as i was not expecting any issue, i did not mark anything.

Find a run oil with a 15000km life cycle very unlikely(imo).

Dealer principle did question if i used correct filter only, told him to check cameras for me buying it a few hours earlier.

gpg58, Mar 20, 11:47am
Cheers, non turbo in this car.
Yes to correct dexos oil for car.
Nope re deprecation, not at the mid first lockdown run out price i paid. ;-)

gpg58, Mar 20, 11:49am
Lol.
Make an offer, let me quess . $3.50 each?

gpg58, Mar 20, 11:50am
Good to hear.

gpg58, Mar 20, 11:57am
Well i still can not find anyone that thinks that oil has been recently changed, even if it was not fully drained.
So will take his offer of a copy of footage, to see for myself, but i would like to believe he is being honest, as i do not automatically distrust all dealers.

oil filter was cut open yesterday for those interested.

But imo opinion without others to compare, means nothing to me and proves nothing either way.
https://trademe.tmcdn.co.nz/photoserver/full/1509643593.jpg

martin11, Mar 20, 12:07pm
Looks like clean oil in the filter .