Car suggestions - tall person. help.

Page 2 / 3
extrayda, Jan 25, 12:35am
hmm sorry for late response, been away for a while.
I know I am closing off some options by not wanting Euro / Subaru.
Subaru's I just don't like. Yes, I know Euro's can be absolutely fine, but I know far to many people who have had issues - BMW Water pumps / oil leaks, Volvo Transmissions, Mercedes various etc. I like some of the Euros (335I, C63 etc.) just don't want one as a daily. Same goes for 300C or Jeep.
I just want something reliable and not particularly attractive to be nicked.
Don't want a hatch as every one I looked at had limited rear passenger headroom.
Don't want a diesel as I do mainly short distance driving, so no real savings in having diesels, and my understanding is that lots of short trips isn't good for them.
I'd come to the same conclusion about most Jap imports not being ideal for bigger people :-)

I will have a proper look at most of the suggestions above. Need to make some time for another car yard expedition. Plus I actually need to drive the things I fit in, as I may hate the way they drive.

Currently have a bit of a leaning towards Camry / Aurion / Crown as they are cheaper than the Commodore / Falcon. Plus if I have a Falcon with the excellent Barra engine, it would be difficult to resist fiddling with it, which is exactly what I am not supposed to be doing.

This is a daily which will sit outside in the sun / rain, and I maybe incorrectly tend to think that the Jappas would cope with that better than the Falcon / Commodores?

lakeview3, Jan 25, 12:44am
son is 6ft 7 and drives a Mitsubishi Outlander. No problems. More affordable price range, good midi size wagon?

lakeview3, Jan 25, 12:47am
lol yeah you should see the space behind my seat in my Holden! Massive amount of legroom for passenger and driver. That said the height of the cabin would maybe not as good as other vehicles for tall people.

extrayda, Jan 25, 6:35pm
hmm not generally a Mitzi fan, but they seem quite reasonably priced for what you get. Not too ugly either.
Will add to the list, but ideally really want a sedan.

Last cars have been station wagons / people movers, so a Sedan would be nice.
With a V8, and cheap, and reliable, and low k's, and good looking.
OK, back to reality. Nothing I am going to end up with is going to be interesting, so I will just buy on reliability / comfort / price :-)
Hopefully get a chance to try out some of the suggestions soon.
Thanks everyone.

extrayda, Jan 26, 7:22pm
Did a very quick bit of looking today.
Skylines / Fuga's out - not enough headroom.
Toyota Vanguards out - plenty of room, just didn't like it.
Toyota Crowns out (sad on that one, as there was a V8 in that line up) - not
enough headroom / a bit cramped for me.
Mark X - the much newer ones are OK, the older ones not enough headroom.
Outlander - OK room, just bigger than I need.

Sat in a Teana, plenty of headroom. Didn't get too look at it very well as it was crammed in.
Also a Camry Hybrid, plenty of room in that too.
I know Falcons / Commodores as I have been in them before. There's a couple of them around to look at purchasing.

Currently leaning slightly towards trying to find an NZ Camry / Aurion - purely to avoid having to mess about with Japanese Stereos.

Does anyone know how easy/hard it is to get the stereo replaced in a Camry / Teana? They seem to be quite integrated?

monaro17, Jan 26, 8:11pm
It’s interesting you find the headroom in the Fuga lacking. We have a few 6’4” family members who find the headroom good in our one. Far better than any late model falcon- which we had/have concurrently. And for information’s sake there will be more room in the Fuga than a Teana or skyline. The Fuga is an enlarged platform of the teana/maxima/skyline. Aurion would be a good choice as too the commodore

extrayda, Jan 26, 8:22pm
hmm. I will try another Fuga then. Maybe the seat wasn't adjusting properly or something.
Just felt close to the roof / side of the roof.
I like them as there are larger engine options.

The Teana felt like more headroom than the Camry (which was OK).

kazbanz, Jan 26, 8:26pm
Was the seat fully adjusted down/back

gunhand, Jan 26, 8:33pm
Have you driven any yet? I'm a Camry fan, I find mine does everything its suppose to do without any fuss or fan fair. They are not a sports car and have never been promoted as such but if you do think about a Camry go the Aurion way and you may be surprised. Ive had no thoughts of changing mine any time soon although I was tempted by a low KM Aurion sport but it sold to quick. They are cheap to run for a bigger car and boot is huge. The 2.4 is fine but once loaded with adults and luggage its lacking, it does the job but you have to make it do it hence Aurion for a whole lot more grunt and you loose little economy wise. Find a NZ New one and stereo will do all you need. What years you looking at? Latter they are they will have all the gizmos whether you need or want them.

extrayda, Jan 26, 11:05pm
It was adjusted as far as it would go, but it didn't seem to move far.
I'm going to be out West tomorrow, so may have a look at a Teana I saw out that way, depending on whether or not I have children in tow !

extrayda, Jan 26, 11:27pm
2010-2016 depending on whether it's a Camry or Aurion.
My Estima is a 2.4 and it's fine for around town, but pretty slow when it comes to passing anything on the open road. That's why the 3.5 appeals.
Reality is the 2.4 / 2.5 would be ok.
I could stretch to more $ but it's going to live outside and be a family car, so I don't see the point in spending too much.
Haven't driven anything yet, it's been more of a rush through the yards to check headroom so I can narrow it down to what I am serious about before I take too much of the sales peoples time.

I still need to try a few of the other suggestions, but still quite keen on the Aurion / Camry, with the Teana a closeish second. I prefer the styling of the Camry, but ultimately would buy the best for the money.

rovercitroen, Jan 28, 8:10am
Daughter and SIL have a Toyota Mark X Zio. Lots of space. They are both tall people and even with two kids car seats there is space for all four of them. I suggested one of these to them as I know Kazbanz likes them. I understand some of the 2.4 engines can be oil burners but theirs seems OK so far.

extrayda, Jan 28, 10:28am
Yup they did seem a potential option, and Kaz does like them.
I sat in Kaz's one yesterday (thanks Kaz, super helpful knowledgeable guy) - fully adjusted the seat, and there was sufficient headroom. However, even with the steering wheel up as far as it could go, my leg was sort of jammed between it and the centre console (quite large just to the left of the driver).

I'm still leaning towards the Teana / Camry sort of options.
I did really like driving the 370 Fuga I tried though.
Remaining consideration is whether I could live with the Jap stereo / retro fit something else / look for a NZ car (which would rule out the Teana).

tamarillo, Jan 28, 11:05am
Have you tried an Accord yet - either 2.4 or V6? The V6 I find very roomy inside (maybe as it designed for US market) though I found NZ new 2.4 Accord Euro plenty spacious for long drives at 6'2".
I find some cars technically fit but I still feel cramped especially by lower dash and steering column.

hotelcarpet, Jan 28, 8:16pm
Suzuki has been my way of life two & four wheels Vitara turbo? I'm only 6'2 :) or older non turbo for budget Also look at Holden CT softroader'.

ola.thorsen, Feb 1, 1:53pm
What about a nz new maxima? same as a teana for space. I'm 6'4" and fit just fine.

extrayda, Feb 5, 5:27pm
Still looking.

Tried an Accord, just not very keen on them.
Did consider SUV style vehicles, but really prefer a sedan.
gunhand - I have considered older Aurions, the main risk with them is the sticky dash thing, but I have a couple I am going to look at.
I've also looked at a couple of NZ new Maximas (I like Nissans). They are ok, but I don't love them for some reason.

I've slightly given up on life, so tried Kaz's Camry Hybrid suggestion (2011+ model), and they actually aren't bad, and mostly were standard double din stereo units, not integrated into the car, so easy to change if it annoyed me. Hybrid drove ok once I got used to it. Would be a nice quiet car for travelling.
Was better than the 'normal' 2.5, but less good than the 3.5 Aurion.

Straight after that I drove another Fuga 370GT with leather. mmmmmm. selected 'cold' for the seat - niiice. Plenty of go, and RWD. I really liked it too. Added bonus the steering wheel goes up and down and telescopes.

Looked at a nice BA Falcon, but it sounds like the BA-FG Falcons have some rust issues, as well as the silly plastic A/C part that requires dash removal. This car is going to live outside most of the time.

My practical side leans towards the Camry Hybrid.
- It will be cheaper to maintain.
- It will be cheaper to run (don't really care).
- I'm not likely to collect speeding tickets in it like I would in the Nissan.
- It's comfortable and safe for the kids.

Anyone have any horror stories about the 2/5 2011 on Camry Hybrids to put me off?
I'm also going to try an newer higher mileage 'normal' Camry (~2016).

I understand CVT replacement would be horrendous $$$ but very unlikely to need doing anyway.

gunhand, Feb 5, 6:10pm
Yes my Camry has the sticky dash syndrome. There is an easy fix which is what I do. DON'T TOUCH IT when its hot. Its not changed in anyway shape or form. If you have shady area to park it wont be an issue very often.

extrayda, Feb 5, 8:17pm
Lol, I thought you were going to have some magic fix.
I don't have a shady area to park, and it will live outside.
I'm looking at one tomorrow that probably has it, it's not a show stopper for me, will just have to decide how much I like the car. I expect it will be very similar to drive to the newer one. Cheaper though !

gunhand, Feb 5, 8:24pm
Mines sat outside for the last 5 years. The dash still looks brand new. Thing is its not a dash you can sit things on and it does not need to be touched.
Be interested in what you think of it when you drive one. I drove one two years newer for 160km and then drove the one I bought back. I liked mine better as did wife. Mie had more KMs but not electric power steer which just felt odd. I guess you would get used to it though.
They are a lot of car foe the money IMO and not over board with tech.

sw20, Feb 5, 8:54pm
I've got a loaner three door Toyota Vitz while my daily is getting it's cam belt and water pump service done and it's got HUGE headroom. It's insane. I'm 6'1" and there's a good 6" above my head spare.

extrayda, Feb 5, 8:59pm
Hell mate, I haven't sunk that low yet.
I had a loaner Swift when the Super Steamer was having a service, and that had decent headroom too. It seems often the little boxy cars do.
However, almost no room for anyone in the back seat with a tall driver.

extrayda, Feb 5, 9:01pm
The electric steering stuff does feel a bit different that's true. Will see how I go tomorrow morning. I do like the Toyota V6. (although the Nissan 3.7 V6 has more grunt).

extrayda, Feb 7, 10:47pm
Update for anyone who cares (and a thanks to everyone who had suggestions).

Ended up buying a lowish ks Jap Camry Hybrid.
Pending acceptable PPI inspection.
It drove nicely. It looks to be in good nick.
I already have a fun car, so the daily was supposed to be practical, which the Camry is.

I loved the 370 Fuga, but didn't go with it for two reasons - first I'd revert to being a hoon, which is fun, but bad for the wallet & licence, second it would definitely cost more to run & maintain than the Camry and in reality I don't usually travel far, so although it would have been much more fun on a road trip, it wouldn't be often.

Gunhand, I did drive the slightly older Aurion, and was very tempted, it had decent service history, drove nicely and went well. Drove pretty much the same as the newer ones I had tried. The dash was quite reflective, but I was prepared to put a cover on it if need be (easy fix).
Just ended up liking the Camry enough to shell out a few extra dollars, plus being from a dealer a bit more protection with CGA etc.

gunhand, Sep 17, 10:12am
Nice, hope you enjoy no fuss motoring.