Long live the internal combustion engine.

Page 3 / 3
gblack, Jun 21, 7:35am
Getting off topic, but while I love the idea of cruising in a airship (views would be amazing) but as I understand it, fundamental problem with airships is landing.

So you build something lighter than air, (or slightly heavier and use propellers/fans or lift from wings to get off the ground).

You then burn say 500kg of fuel during the trip, then you need to land. Problem then is your airship is now lighter, so to land you need to vent gas or try and use thrust to get low enough for some serious infrastructure to capture the airship and pump some water ballast into it. There are horrific films of when they used to use people like sailors grabbing ropes to land and airship; a gust of wind and suddenly people would be pulled into the air still holding onto the ropes

Seen a few ideas to solve the problem; like compressing the lifting gas. Also not burning fuel but using electric engines. though weight of batteries is a problem. I like the idea of automated swarm of drones that could fly up to an airship bringing weights to it

tygertung, Jun 21, 8:16am
Yeah and you could use the entire top of the airship for lightweight solar panels, would be a good size area for electricity generation. Could have batteries and internal combustion engines for night. Or another idea was to use hydrogen fuel cells.

apollo11, Jun 21, 8:18am
And yet, ICE cars still regularly manage to immolate their occupants. What modern non-flammable yet light material would you make the skin of your zeppelin from?

apollo11, Jun 21, 8:22am
Airships are just too unwieldy for regular real world use. They are too reliant on prevailing wind direction for efficient flight. They are difficult to control when on the ground. Imagine trying to land at Welly when a Nor-wester is blowing. Scary enough in a modern airliner.

houseofdad, Jun 21, 8:28am
Now there's a thinking man!

houseofdad, Jun 21, 8:31am

Don't worry one day you could learn to back a trailer.

richardmayes, Jun 21, 1:15pm
Electric cars often come with a big serve of pious white saviour attitude (real, or perceived.) I'm saving the planet. Saving it from people like YOU. etc. Definitely gets peoples' back up.

In the car world you come across your fair share of narcissistic people (In amongst all the good boys and girls) because owning something nice and being proud of it is at the core of it, and not everyone who has an interesting car is blessed with humility, modesty or the ability to laugh at themselves.

So we tend to get V8 vs Jappa drama, and Ford vs Holden drama, my car would beat your car in a fight drama, and classic vs hot rod drama. And a whole lot of racers and competitive people who don't like coming second and can't abide somebody else being in front of them or having the last word.

So when you add into to that powder keg, a whole new breed of EV evangelists who may not necessarily know what the rules of engagement are for car community banter, it's a recipe for hurty feelings all around!

sr2, Jun 21, 6:47pm
LOL, love the reply mate.

At 4 tones dry the good ship 'Aquaholic' lives in the Milford marina only 2 minutes drive away, not sure how the old slapper would go driving a straddle crane on public roads but could be well worth the laugh.

Not complaining but the "ever lovely" Ms sr2 could possibly still show a little more enthusiasm for filleting fish!

gph1961, Jun 21, 6:52pm
mine for lawn mowing

gph1961, Jun 21, 6:53pm
hell I can get an electric mower

sr2, Jun 21, 7:18pm
Couldn't agree with you more mate.
But the last time I suggested that lawn mowing was an acceptable weekend activity to the 'ever lovely' Ms sr2 she kicked me in the nuts!

Where did I go wrong?

tygertung, Jul 22, 11:12am
That is true, but they are so romantic aren't they?

You would want to plan the routes to take advantage of the trade winds.

I mean they are great in theory and oh so romantic, but I don't think they will be taking off any time soon (pun unintended, but an added bonus).