Bench grinder problem.

Page 2 / 2
mrcat1, Dec 24, 8:16pm
Mines done that for years, when I switch it on I just flick the wheel the right way and away it goes.
Until theres a fireball and it blows the west wall off the shed I'm just going to keep using it.

mechnificent, Dec 24, 8:25pm
Yeah nah you aren't meant to sharpen chainsaws with a grinder. that will be your trouble. you need a file.

apollo11, Dec 24, 8:35pm
*Snort*

urbanrefugee54, Dec 24, 8:36pm
I do so wish they had 'likes' for comments. if you look above - I don't actually have a grinder - I have a double ended worm polishing wheels. even harder to sharpen a chainsaw :)

mechnificent, Dec 24, 8:49pm
Gee I'm thick. Ignore me.

martin11, Dec 25, 7:52am
Bench mounted chainsaw sharpners are a grinding disc !

intrade, Dec 25, 8:27am
i think the problem is when a thread deviates from original post to something different .

urbanrefugee54, Dec 25, 3:31pm
that would of course be 'cross threading'

urbanrefugee54, Dec 25, 3:38pm
ahh - partner is still using old one. might get him to check out the one they have on display. do you have a photo

mechnificent, Dec 25, 5:26pm
Oh very good.

marte, Dec 25, 5:53pm
Silicon carbide stone, fine grit, not aluminium oxide sort of grit.
A file does a better job because, done right, it leaves a sharp edge & causes no heat to soften the metal.
However, finding somebody who knows how to sharpen a chainsaw properly is a different matter.

apollo11, Dec 25, 6:39pm
I put in the effort with a 3/8" round file, and it seems to work fine. Got any hints?

mechnificent, Dec 25, 6:46pm
Yeah, use a smaller file. Unless you have some sort of giant chain. And probably finer teeth than a typical 3/8

apollo11, Dec 25, 7:07pm
Bugger, it's around 5mm wide whatever that is in imperial. It's the same shape as the curves in the teeth.

mechnificent, Dec 25, 7:12pm
Ha. yeah that's smaller than 3/8. And it will be the same as the curve in the teeth Apollo. after you've used it the first time.
They generally sell special files for chainsaws, to suit the chain you use. You've probably got the right one.

mechnificent, Dec 25, 7:15pm
And I agree with Marte. a file can do a better job.

apollo11, Dec 25, 7:30pm
It's a file sold at the chainsaw and mower shop for sharpening chains. Can also be used for scratching your ear and poking at things.

mechnificent, Dec 25, 7:32pm
Lol. multitool. I've been wanting one of those.

apollo11, Dec 25, 7:43pm
I've been sorting out my tools. The stuff you can never find like tape measures, safety glasses and ring spanners. I found them all. I found tools I haven't seen for several years, in fact I had even thought up stories for how I must have lost some of them. I found the tajima cutter I'd convinced myself was somewhere under the batts in the ceiling.

mechnificent, Dec 25, 7:49pm
I know where my missing tools go. my sons borrow them and don't bring them back.

urbanrefugee54, Dec 25, 8:17pm
partner sharpens my chainsaw with an electric jobee we got from bunnings a few years ago. works a treat. they are even cheaper now

urbanrefugee54, Dec 25, 8:19pm
we have a little of that problem & a little of me forgetting where I put something & then spending the next day trying to find it :(

mechnificent, Dec 25, 8:41pm
Yeah. My sons don't take my workshop tools because they know I'd kill them, but they do "borrow" my carpentry tools.
We were sitting around one day drinking beers and I was giving them grief about it, and an adopted sort of son(that knows that's how I consider him) explained it. "Yeah, but it doesn't seem like stealing when it's your Dads".

Little buggers. Thirty year old little buggers that is.

mechnificent, Oct 5, 10:41pm
And yeah, it gets tricky when you're getting on and the memory's not as good as it used to be. haha.