What is better a cambelt or a chain driven .

Page 2 / 5
mechnificent, Jan 9, 2:26pm
Belt. Light, quiet, cheap, easy to change, adaptable ie long runs multi banks/cams and drive the water-pump.

bigfatmat1, Jan 9, 2:30pm
its not necessarily about a link failing its probably more to do with the chain stretching and or guides breaking. Causing no start or drivability issues.

franc123, Jan 9, 2:49pm
Chains are only really an advantage if they are engineered properly, and most of them are only marginally engineered, motor manufacturers dont actually like chains very much due to their weight and cost, they only use them because they are a more compact practical alternative on engines that use VVT and/or GDI technology due to the extra stress that the components put on the drive mechanism. The more stuff you need to drive the thicker the belt has to be and having to fit a 2" wide timing belt is not wanted either in an engine that needs to fit in a small space. The reason chains were gradually ditched in the 70s and 80s for belts is because they are heavy, stretch and are noisier, all things that are still relevant today. Car dealers should not be marketing chain drive engines as some kind of guarantee the cam drive system will never need to be touched, it simply is not 100% true.

apollo11, Jan 9, 3:25pm
It depends on the car, really. Belts can vary from 40k to 160k. Chains can last the life of the engine or shit themselves and write your engine off.

absolute_detail, Jan 9, 3:33pm
Gear drive with push rods

bill-robinson, Jan 9, 4:18pm
all are subject to one problem. -
. man

mechnificent, Jan 9, 4:47pm
Nah Apollo most belts are rated to about eighty thou and chains to about two-forty thou. Chains are a recommended replaceable part. just like belts.

And they have got belt life pretty well sorted. Years ago toyota started upping the recommend life of belts from eighty to one hundred thou, and started getting something like point 6 percent premature failure in that extra twenty, so lowered the figures again.

All of which is besides the point in my reckoning. as I said, I reckon belts have more advantages. Lifespan is just factor.

apollo11, Jan 9, 5:16pm
160k on Ford internal belts. There may be others. My Magna got up to 350 000k on the original chain, hydraulic tensioner was making a racket on startup but otherwise fine. I've pushed a belt to 150k on an old Mazda, just checked the condition every now and then.

poppy62, Jan 9, 5:31pm
Seen lots of the Fibre gears stripped, Holdens 1949- 1963 and the Volvo engines pre OHC.

barrie2, Jan 9, 5:48pm
At 290,000k my 1990 L200 ute - 2.6 petrol - chain - has never had an issue with engine other than head gasket. New oil every 3 months (Repco own $20), new filter every 6 months. Been looked after from new, recent use never goes over 2k revs as I only now take dog to forest - indestructible. Last of the Porirua assembled ones which I think has helped its reliability?

tygertung, Jan 9, 5:52pm
Chains don't stretch, the linkages wear and they get longer.

I know someone who had one of those '82 Civics, the cambelt broke and he went back and changed it on the side of the road. Big guy too, built like Arnold Schwarzenegger.

ronaldo8, Jan 9, 5:52pm
Quite predictable tracking on an icy road though, try eating a Shrewsbury while doing slow 360 spins, that really takes the biscuit, and the cake. You can easily lose track of the thin line of jam in the middle, tongue frozen in time like an anteater taking a selfie until you eventually thump to a stop into the nearest bank.

Or so the Germans would have us believe.

mechnificent, Jan 9, 6:09pm
Yeah we can push our luck Apollo, but the manufacturers know that neither chains or belts last the life of an engine and so they recommend when you should change them. A few years(30) ago 240 thou was the figure for nissan chains. and yeah, tensioners tend to wear out before chains, still. Merc used to recommend changing chains at some mileage.

Tritons today, despite all the developments, have a known fault with their chain slippers going hard and shredding themselves. into the oil. That's not good.

I still reckon belts have several advantages.

Everyone has an opinion, and their own criteria for forming it.

apollo11, Jan 9, 6:22pm
This is a discussion of what we prefer, not what the manufacturers think.
Although manufacturers will often say that the chain will last the life of the engine.

mechnificent, Jan 9, 6:25pm
Ok. So you've heard mine now. And I won't bore you with stories that are exceptions to my thoughts, or your thoughts on the matter, any more.

mechnificent, Jan 9, 6:26pm
I will advise you though Apollo, that there is no way of checking the condition of an overdue belt. they can break without warning or prior sign.

wind.turbine, Jan 9, 6:27pm
what models is this known for?
mine is a 07 3.2L with 300k on it and it runs sweet, no noise or rattle at all from the chain.
has always been serviced at 10k all its life

mechnificent, Jan 9, 6:30pm
How long do they say their engines last for Apollo ? With these "life time chains".

mechnificent, Jan 9, 6:30pm
Till the chain breaks.

apollo11, Jan 9, 6:32pm
You will normally see glazing cracking or fraying before a belt lets go. If it's an old car with an overdue belt, don't rev the poo out of it.

mechnificent, Jan 9, 6:34pm
There's a slipper at the top of the motor Windturbine and the earlier ones were turning yellow and shredding into the oil. there's a modified part available my sons tell me. One son's a mechanic and the other one, who's not a mechanic, has swapped his because it was yellow, shredded and noisy. Not sure of the mileage but it will be fairly high. One's got a 07, the one that shat itself, and the other's a 15.

mechnificent, Jan 9, 6:36pm
And sometimes they look fine. and poop themselves. If they were ok to inspect meaningfully the manufacturers would say to asses them. but they don't

desmodave, Jan 9, 6:36pm
Got a sweet spot for bevel driven .

mechnificent, Jan 9, 6:36pm
But we all have opinions.

apollo11, Jan 9, 6:36pm
Who knows? Euros are supposed to be recycled at ten years of age. I'd say 250k would be the expected life from an engine, to the point at least where you don't care too much if it pops.
Likely the auto gearbox will go first.