What is better a cambelt or a chain driven .

Page 3 / 5
apollo11, Jan 9, 6:38pm
Love the old air cooled Dukes.

mechnificent, Jan 9, 6:38pm
The 3.2 is the one that shat it's slipper Windturbine. the other son has a 2.5 and I think he inspected his and reckon's it's fine.

Look on a mitsi forum.

mechnificent, Jan 9, 6:59pm
Ah no. 2.5 is belt. as you were.

mechnificent, Jan 9, 7:02pm

wind.turbine, Jan 9, 7:04pm
yea I think I have previously looked into replacing it for piece of mind but never did.
just gone out and had a look, as you can see the guide from oil filler, it looks great, this has heaps of meat left on it and no sign of any unusual ware or chipping.
it may have been replaced under a recall when new or maybe they just had bad batches of them.
ether way it looks fine

mechnificent, Jan 9, 7:10pm
I see there is a product recall so. yeah hopefully.
They drive tritons at work and heard and saw them shit so looked into theirs.

It's an easy job to do. I see online that some go at 120 thou, others 220 thou. your's must be done. Or you're just lucky.

bill-robinson, Jan 9, 7:10pm
were did i mention fibre. i to have seen many stripped fibre gears

redhead18, Jan 9, 10:24pm
Reality is engine lifting chain blocks, snig chains and other rated chains-as in logging truck chains and twitches swing lift. ETC.
Are in a Very Very Very different league to a Volkswagen FSI petrol timing chain.
Belts are good as to minimal variance in TIMING.
Late model chain driven engines with sensors simply show the OBVOIUS.

go WORK A chainsaw hard. and observe chain stretch first hand.

Shoulda read. LOL

Seems Yip.
Chains STRETCH,,,,,

Chains are only really an advantage if they are engineered properly, and most of them are only marginally engineered, motor manufacturers dont actually like chains very much due to their weight and cost, they only use them because they are a more compact practical alternative on engines that use VVT and/or GDI technology due to the extra stress that the components put on the drive mechanism. The more stuff you need to drive the thicker the belt has to be and having to fit a 2" wide timing belt is not wanted either in an engine that needs to fit in a small space. The reason chains were gradually ditched in the 70s and 80s for belts is because they are heavy, stretch and are noisier, all things that are still relevant today. Car dealers should not be marketing chain drive engines as some kind of guarantee the cam drive system will never need to be touched, it simply is not 100% true.

franc123 (416 416 positive feedback) 2:49 pm, Sat 9 Jan #28

We agree. lol

marte, Jan 9, 10:32pm
That VAG stuff is a combo of chain & belt & 70k though my 3.0 was changed at 117, so some get more.
But it's putting up codes for timing sensor B, bank 1. So I'm thinking stretched cam chain.
Tested the sensors & gonna swap them all over tomorrow, sensor A gave a code too I think. So 2 sensors coding, tested to work, on the same camchain = camchain I think. Or VVT thingy.

marte, Jan 10, 4:01am
Actually, the ASN engine, it's a bit of a short lived oddball setup, hasn't got cam chains at all.
It's got a toothed sprocket per cam, the outer toothed rim can rotate slightly on its inside centre & that's done by oil pressure, this leads to being able to adjust the timing of the cam(s) via oil pressure. But it's all belt driven.

paul861, Jan 10, 8:36am
got a 5.9 cummins with 13000hrs, dosent look like its been apart, unsure what drives the cam? and also have a ex100 -3 excavator with 12000hrs doubt its been apart either, so i rekon whatever they have must be good

mechnificent, Jan 10, 12:00pm
I think the cummins won't be chain or belt. gears probably. Nice motors though. Better than cats I reckon(stir stir).

tygertung, Jan 10, 12:32pm
Chains don't stretch, they wear and become longer. There is never going to be enough force on the chin to get elastic deformation.

franc123, Jan 10, 12:42pm
Stretching or elongation, who cares, the effect is the same regardless of the words used to describe it, its merely cumulative wear that develops in the pivots. On long chains it can add up to nearly a whole links worth of elongation.

bill-robinson, Jan 10, 4:54pm
just imagine the 427 SOHC ford V8 timing chain was 8 feet long. the elongation on that would change the cam timing on on bank i would have thought.

marte, Jan 10, 5:42pm
I know somebody that that happened to too.
But he kept trying to start it.
And the oil pumps driven off the camshaft & he seized the engine up.

rctr, Jan 10, 10:22pm
From a workshop point of view chains are great on some engines can easily double charge out time than that of a belt driven engine. From an owner point of view I'd rather replace a belt

bill1451, Jan 11, 8:49am
but just kept going and going and going and goingggggggggggggggggggggggggg-
ggggggggggggg

tony9, Jan 11, 9:30am
Back to the OP's question.

Belts are cheaper to make and quieter. So a no brainer for builders of mass market vehicles. And new buyers are not going to be bothered about changing them (with rare exceptions).

Big plus of chains is that they get noisier as they get closer to end of life.

tygertung, Jan 11, 9:39am
I had a toyota 5k with the world's shortest chain drive on it, going from the crankshaft to the camshaft. I changed it when I was doing a rebuild, although it was probably still OK.

apollo11, Jan 11, 9:57am
Like a boring movie lol.

mechnificent, Jan 11, 10:09am
"Big plus of chains is that they get noisier as they get closer to end of life.".

Ha, yeah I guess a noisy chain could be considered an advantage. if you like that sort of thing.
(just kidding).

gazzat22, Jan 11, 10:11am
They used to be called Timing Chains.Single row Simplex for smaller cars Minor 1000 etc and Duplex(double Row ) for bigger cars then Manufacturers decided to save money and started using belts then a marvellous "improvement " started fitting "Cam" chains. Timing Chains rattled when worn and gave warning of failure.Motors in those day were far more simple admittedly.

mechnificent, Jan 11, 10:18am
Those K motors used to get noisy chains, and to change them and a lot of the chains you have to take off either the head, or sump, or both, and the timing cover to do. And if you are doing it at the recommended km, that's about the equivalent to every third belt.

Belts are tried and proven. I can't really see any advantages in chain anymore unless it's in the slightly longer first service before needing to be changed.

gazzat22, Jan 11, 10:42am
The A and B series BMC motors where simple easy and cheap to replace.