400,000 cars on the roads without a WOF

Page 2 / 7
jmma, May 14, 9:41pm
Mostly caused by Covid as you didn't need a WOF to rego. So in a few months those figures will come down heaps as they will need the Wof to rego now.

sr2, May 14, 9:45pm
Good point; but if you look at the stats from Australia and the US (where unbelievably almost anything goes!) the accidents where mechanical failure is a contributing factor are on a par with NZ figures.

It would be fair to suggest that the encumberment system is flawed and surely repeating it over and over again while expecting a different outcome is nothing less than the classic definition of stupidity?

apollo11, May 14, 9:59pm
I had to think twice about this lol. I think you meant encumbent. Although the current system could also be described as an encumberment, too.

tygertung, May 14, 9:59pm
Yes, how can you renew your vehicle licence without a current WOF?

sr2, May 14, 10:11pm
LOL; well spotted mate. - Bloody spell check "dyslexia rules KO!".

kiwilandchch, May 14, 10:37pm
4000,001 mine ran out today

kiwilandchch, May 14, 10:39pm
Oh bash the bennie i no people that work that dont have WOF oh no what a SHOCK

marte, May 14, 10:59pm
:WINZ will give out a ' advance payment ' but thats a Loan, not a gift. It still has to be paid back.
WINZ will give out a emergency payment, im not sure how much, i think its $100 every 3 months at most for 'unexpected expenses' but that wont be something thats classed as maintenance. Blown tyre = Yes, worn tyre = No.

houseofdad, May 14, 11:22pm
Can just picture it 7 mercs up on blocks.

sandypheet, May 15, 6:05am
Yep, you can put that down to the next level up, the auditors, need to make their prescence felt.

annie17111, May 15, 7:11am
I was friends with them when it happened and have spoken to mechanics about it and it does happen. Yes it's a loan but interest free and payments are minimal.

gunna-1, May 15, 8:11am
I never asked for a thing from winz with my cars, they allways had a warrant and good tyres, but they were clap trap dungers with no carpet but reasonably tidy on the outside, polished up, but with the "dog hair" fiasco going on with driveing tests there was no way i was going to be treated like a human stopped in one of those, "everything must be perfect" "wins are paying for thing" "dog hair and car rubbish" bla bla bla, then walking became illegal to because thats no good eather, someone drop a nuke or just stop whinging your tits of about everything.

bill-robinson, May 15, 8:18am
do away with WOF.s like merica, teah great as long as compulsory insurance is implimented and enforced.

curlcrown, May 15, 8:41am
Contrary to popular belief we do have compulsory insurance in New Zealand.

gabbysnana, May 15, 9:08am
anyday on marketplace people buy vehicles with no rego and no wofs for nicks, its big business " as long as the engine goes" only criteria.

bill-robinson, May 15, 9:28am
not on any car that i have owned.personal ins for medical yes, at a cost to all but my car is not covered by your unsafe wreck on the roads.

cjohnw, May 15, 9:37am
I am guessing you mean ACC through vehicle registration?

apollo11, May 15, 9:56am
If you want compulsory insurance to be a thing, I hope you are willing to pay a great deal more for it then. The first thing insurance companies do when they have a captive market is double their premiums.

poppy62, May 15, 10:04am
just fixed it for you

franc123, May 15, 10:11am
Periodic WoF's won't get scrapped, do that and the Govt would have to ramp up roadside random checks, something that would require much more Police engagement in such matters than there is now, personally I think it could only effectively be done by setting up a dedicated task force who are trained in such matters. They ain't going to spend money on that, far better to leave the costs directly on motorists.

franc123, May 15, 10:15am
Studies conducted in the US have certainly substantiated that. It has led to the scrapping of periodic safety inspections in some states as there was little difference in crash stats where vehicle faults contributed to the crash between those who tested and who didnt. In some places the only thing they test is tailpipe emissions. and in a proper scientific way too.

cjohnw, May 15, 10:19am
My thoughts exactly.
Haven’t the extra Police promised at the last election already been canned?

gazzat22, May 15, 10:20am
No back to 40000 mine had expired on 28 feb and renewed this week when i noticed it. The plod/traffic wardens only need to walk around any supermarket car park the happy hunting ground .

houseofdad, May 15, 10:53am
It's not 7 Skylines you got up on blocks.

You sold that Nissan ute you had ? I see those old school Nissans
going up in value all the time.

franc123, May 15, 11:09am
I seem to recall hearing about a recruitment freeze a while back but couldnt confirm. I think when looking at this objectively, WoF's have lost focus from being a brief test to examine fundamental parts of a vehicle that could cause a sudden and catastrophic failure of a critical system are up to scratch to just something that is keeping bureaucrats in Wellington employed and some anachronistic old garages that probably dont need to exist in the 21st century in work. As time has gone by the risks of 'sudden and catastrophic failure' have reduced considerably through design processes, motor vehicles have become much safer by design in other words.